Do we have to start looking over our shoulders?

RampantRam

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[size=3]Crystal Palace H[/size] - WIN

[size=3]Cardiff A[/size] - LOSE

[size=3]Birmingham A[/size] -LOSE

[size=3]Leicester H[/size] - LOSE

[size=3]Bristol City H[/size] - WIN

[size=3]Leeds A[/size] - LOSE (Sorry)

[size=3]Ipswich H[/size] - WIN

[size=3]Blackburn A[/size] - LOSE

[size=3]Barnsley A[/size] - DRAW

[size=3]Peterborough H[/size] - WIN

[size=3]Blackpool A[/size] - LOSE

[size=3]Millwall H[/size] - DRAW

I really doubt we can win against Palace. They've got too much attacking threat and are always going to score goals, especially if Murray's fit. If we were going to win we'd need to outscore them and I can't see anybody but Ward stepping up for us and scoring more than once. No need to be sorry about Leeds away either. They're a tough team at the best of times and Elland Rd is a bit of a fortress.

Omg are we really thinking about going down. Yanks out.

We've got to think about it. The Champ being as it is, if we hit a bad run of form, especially with the fixtures we have the next few weeks we could be in trouble. I don't think there's much of a chance of us going down at all, I just think to keep the fans confident that we can really challenge next season, we don't want to slip too far down the table and come out of it thinking that we've had a poor season when we've shown a lot of promise.

We'll pull out a good performance and win against Palace and you'll be talking about play offs again 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Chill, as said before, 10-15th

Again? I've never really deluded myself to think that we could get playoffs. I wouldn't want us to (just in case we actually went up).

We've got to think about it. The Champ being as it is, if we hit a bad run of form, especially with the fixtures we have the next few weeks we could be in trouble. I don't think there's much of a chance of us going down at all, I just think to keep the fans confident that we can really challenge next season, we don't want to slip too far down the table and come out of it thinking that we've had a poor season when we've shown a lot of promise.

god talk about the glass half full. I'm off before it makes me depressed.

I hope we beat bristol city, I work in bristol with a bunch of city fans, they will bully me if we lose, especially after I spent the whole season telling them that city are *****.

But no, I don't think we need to look over our shoulders, even with the tough games coming up we would have to be absolutely dire if we were to be relegated

Not pinpointing anyone mate, this squad is not play off material, although with 1-2 QUALITY signings it COULD be

I wouldn't know where to strengthen though. Its impossible to tell if Ward will stay fit next season or if Sammon will settle in and start hitting the net a bit more. Will Barker be the same player he was before the injury and will other players move on? I agree we need to make signings over the summer but before we do, we need to look at our attacking options more carefully, decide on a formation that creates the most chances for the way we play THEN make the signings we need to make the push for playoffs.

I think it's unfair to call fans fickle after 4 years. If they've given somebody that long and have slowly made up their mind then that can hardly be called fickle, surely?

But otherwise, no, we'll be fine this season, imo.

Slowly made up their minds? People were calling for Clough out the day he signed, people were calling Non League Nigel from day dot and questioning why we'd sign some nonleague nobody. I think the old line was; "We wouldn't have signed him if he were called Smith." or words to that effect.

Where we are at the moment is where we should be, slowly building. We have the makings of a good squad, and so long as we don't sell our best players in the off season and strengthen where needed we should be a serious contender for the playoffs next season.

I'm getting very sick of this win "and we're going up", draw "and we're midtable forever" and loss "and we're going down and it's all Clough's fault" mentality we seem to have adopted.

As things stand we're what... on 44 points? That puts us 8 below the most any team has been relegated with in the last 15 years with 12 games left (I think). In truth, from here we should make about 9th to 12th, but you never know. We tend to perform well in games we're not expecting to, so we'll have to see.

To be honest Albert we are above were we should be in the league in my opinion... I predicted in my e-mail to Andy Appleton prior to the season starting, that based on our recruitment, this season would bring us less points than last season & a finish of 16th in the league.

Mr Appleton strongly disagreed with my view stating he fully expected a push for the top six, & that he really, really liked all the players we had brought in & was very excited by them.

My view was that many of these players had all played for teams with losing mentalities & for teams that had recently been relegated from the champs.

Coutts relegated with Preston, Keogh with Coventry, O Connor Doncaster, coupled with Jacobs almost relegated out of the league with Northampton, & finally 600k a forward with a goal record of 1 in 32 who if reports are correct we managed to decide was worth double that figure (I prsume based on that impressive record), just how did we come to that figure ffs (he must be worth 2m now based on our clubs reckoning). Yes i know there were a few other such a Freeman, but these were probably the main ones.

Will I be proven correct at the end of the season who knows? but yes I feel based on our recruitment that we are better off than I thought we would be.

As for Nigel, yes I still support him as I always have done, he makes some odd decisions but so do a lot of managers... my ire is towards the board, for creating a self fullfilling set of circumstances, poor players=poor results=falling crowds=falling revenue=more poor players=even lower gates etc (yes we do pick up the odd really good one but not enough for anything like a top 6 push).

Still I'll be there next year.

Think we'll stay where we are roughly. I'll be interested to see our away form though, some very tough games. To be honest with you I couldn't give a **** where we finish, we're obviously not going to get playoffs and it'd take disastrous form to be relegated, I suppose for those who are desperate to point to progress an irrelevant 8th or 9th will be the aim, and vice versa at the other end of the scale. The reality is we're plain average and its pretty boring. Rather good at home generally and diabolical away.

We are 11 points below last place, and 23 points behind top spot, we are not close to getting promotion, we have not got a good squad, we have an average one.

Our goal is to challagne for top 6, which says it all really, even if we were to make that we would have to beat a team that as it stands are 18 points bette than we are....sometimes a reality check is needed to where we actually are.

I don't think we are safe just yet. Our home form is beginning to level out and our away form remains poor.

What concerns me is that there is a sense of fragility about us that there wasn't there earlier in the season that makes such a thread quite valid. The players look completely sapped of confidence and belief and we're a completely different animal to the team we saw before the turn of the year.

I think it would take a remarkable turn in results to put us in contention for relegation, mind you. We would have to lose a large majority of our remaining games while the teams below us improve to even come close. There are games that offer a very realistic chance of picking up points - Bristol City, Peterborough, Ipswich and Millwall at home and Birmingham and Barnsley away all spring to mind - that should keep our heads above water. I would guess we only need the equivalent of four wins to be completely sure. That's not beyond us, surely?

So no, I don't think we're in any danger of relegation but with the fine margins in the division, I don't think it's improbable for us to slip into lower mid-table with the way we are currently playing.

Not yet, but it is possible we're sucked into a battle.

People saying 'no' cant have looked at the table or fixtures. If we manage to get a win out of our next 2 games then there's practically no chance.

But 2 away game in a week, where I cant see us getting much from either, is concerning. We're 4 points off 20th with some very tough fixtures coming up. 

I'll say for definite after the Brum game next week

Archived