Do we have to start looking over our shoulders?

RampantRam

After todays loss, which to most dcfcfans came as no real surprise with our away form being as poor as it is. Do we have to start looking down the table at some of the teams who are gaining form since the start of 2013?

For the most part of the season, we have been looking up the table, dreaming of playoff contention (not that I think our team has enough depth to be up there) but I remember a time where we occupied the top 6, or were there or thereabouts this season. Now the frontrunners are really pulling away and it seems that we don't have the quality to keep up.

My worry is that looking at our upcoming fixtures (Crystal Palace, Cardiff away, Birmingham away and Leicester) I can't see many points coming from March's fixtures. With the Championship being so tight and clubs breathing down our necks, the likes of Burnley, Birmingham, Milwall, Bolton etc, we could end up with a very disappointing end of season position.

Having said this, I remain confident in Clough's ability to build a winning team. This league is always going to be difficult to get out of, but Clough has built a team around youthful drive and determination coupled with the experience of players like Keogh, Sammon and Ward. So when I hear Derby fans call for "Clough out!" It only saddens me to think that some fans can be so fickle.

A injury plagued back 4 battled hard today against a very good attacking side in Watford and I think there is no shame in a 2-1 defeat away from home.

Perhaps with Barker back next season and a hopefully injury free Jamie Ward, we can challenge next year. For this year, I think there's no chance of a top 6 finish, maybe not even a top 10. I just hope that we don't start to slide down the table and be considered as being part of a relegation dogfight.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After todays loss, which to most dcfcfans came as no real surprise with our away form being as poor as it is. Do we have to start looking down the table at some of the teams who are gaining form since the start of 2013?

For the most part of the season, we have been looking up the table, dreaming of playoff contention (not that I think our team has enough depth to be up there) but I remember a time where we occupied the top 6, or were there or thereabouts this season. Now the frontrunners are really pulling away and it seems that we don't have the quality to keep up.

My worry is that looking at our upcoming fixtures (Crystal Palace, Cardiff away, Birmingham away and Leicester) I can't see many points coming from March's fixtures. With the Championship being so tight and clubs breathing down our necks, the likes of Burnley, Birmingham, Milwall, Bolton etc, we could end up with a very disappointing end of season position.

Having said this, I remain confident in Clough's ability to build a winning team. This league is always going to be difficult to get out of, but Clough has built a team around youthful drive and determination coupled with the experience of players like Keogh, Sammon and Ward. So when I hear Derby fans call for "Clough out!" It only saddens me to think that some fans can be so fickle.

A injury plagued back 4 battled hard today against a very good attacking side in Watford and I think there is no shame in a 2-1 defeat away from home.

Perhaps with Barker back next season and a hopefully injury free Jamie Ward, we can challenge next year. For this year, I think there's no chance of a top 6 finish, maybe not even a top 10. I just hope that we don't start to slide down the table and be considered as being part of a relegation dogfight.

I think it's unfair to call fans fickle after 4 years. If they've given somebody that long and have slowly made up their mind then that can hardly be called fickle, surely?

But otherwise, no, we'll be fine this season, imo.

I may be wrong here, but I generally think those who say Clough out have been thinking so since early on in his time in charge and some have had a gradual change in views.

If we do have to look over our shoulders then that makes it a poor season, however it may bring some excitement. I think we should be fine, not as though we have been a pile of crap lately.

I think it's unfair to call fans fickle after 4 years. If they've given somebody that long and have slowly made up their mind then that can hardly be called fickle, surely?

Yes, but we can't forget, since the dreadful 07/08 season its been damage limitation. Any club who come down from the premiership like that are looking at just steadying the ship. Clough is building for a future, its going to take longer than 4 years. Maybe I shouldn't have said fickle. But there is a definite trend in some fans turning on Clough when a few results don't go the way we expect. Admittedly some of his tactical decisions haven't been the best. I think setting up a very negative 4-5-1 away from home is just inviting pressure right from the first whistle. I don't think we'll be pulled into a dogfight exactly, I just think we will be considered a team that could be pulled into worrying about the drop.

Nah, why should we ?

Because we're only 9 points away from Wolves in 22nd. I'm not saying we'll be relegation contenders, far from it. I just think with the run of fixtures in March and the clubs behind us gaining momentum we could end up sliding down the table.

Because we're only 9 points away from Wolves in 22nd. I'm not saying we'll be relegation contenders, far from it. I just think with the run of fixtures in March and the clubs behind us gaining momentum we could end up sliding down the table.

theres other teams in poor form at the moment not just us.

We'll be ok ,probably finish around 16th with a few less points than last season, still its steady progress??

Interesting point, NC has kept the doubters at bay thus far by finishing higher each year, therefore arguing progress is being made. People may disagree, but it is a statistic that can be used to support his case.

If we drop back to 16th ish, will people be entitled to say the last four years have been wasted?

Interesting point, NC has kept the doubters at bay thus far by finishing higher each year, therefore arguing progress is being made. People may disagree, but it is a statistic that can be used to support his case.

If we drop back to 16th ish, will people be entitled to say the last four years have been wasted?

I don't think he has improved every year, think one year we dropped back.

I remember because it used to be year on year improvement, now it's just a 10 year plan!

[size=3]Crystal Palace H[/size]

[size=3]Cardiff A[/size]

[size=3]Birmingham A[/size]

[size=3]Leicester H[/size]

[size=3]Bristol City H[/size]

[size=3]Leeds A[/size]

[size=3]Ipswich H[/size]

[size=3]Blackburn A[/size]

[size=3]Barnsley A[/size]

[size=3]Peterborough H[/size]

[size=3]Blackpool A[/size]

[size=3]Millwall H[/size]

[size=3] [/size]

[size=3]We've got a bit of a scary next few weeks. You would have put money on a taking three ponts from Brizzle, but now with SOD even that might be tricky. I would only expect wins from Ipswich, Peterborough and Millwall, with maybe draws v Bristol and Barnsley. I think we'll flirt with the relegation places, but come good during the last few matches and just pull clear.[/size]

[size=3]Crystal Palace H[/size]

[size=3]Cardiff A[/size]

[size=3]Birmingham A[/size]

[size=3]Leicester H[/size]

[size=3]Bristol City H[/size]

[size=3]Leeds A[/size]

[size=3]Ipswich H[/size]

[size=3]Blackburn A[/size]

[size=3]Barnsley A[/size]

[size=3]Peterborough H[/size]

[size=3]Blackpool A[/size]

[size=3]Millwall H[/size]

[size=3]We've got a bit of a scary next few weeks. You would have put money on a taking three ponts from Brizzle, but now with SOD even that might be tricky. I would only expect wins from Ipswich, Peterborough and Millwall, with maybe draws v Bristol and Barnsley. I think we'll flirt with the relegation places, but come good during the last few matches and just pull clear.[/size]

Got to be looking at Bristol, Ipswich, Peterborough, Millwall and maybe even Crystal Palace at home for wins. Maybe Barnsley and Leeds as well. Who knows, could beat Leicester as well? I think we'll be fine and probably finish 12th or 13th.

[size=3]Crystal Palace H - DRAW[/size]

[size=3]Cardiff A - LOSE[/size]

[size=3]Birmingham A - DRAW[/size]

[size=3]Leicester H - DRAW[/size]

[size=3]Bristol City H - WIN[/size]

[size=3]Leeds A - LOSE[/size]

[size=3]Ipswich H - DRAW[/size]

[size=3]Blackburn A - LOSE[/size]

[size=3]Barnsley A - DRAW[/size]

[size=3]Peterborough H - WIN[/size]

[size=3]Blackpool A - LOSE[/size]

[size=3]Millwall H - DRAW[/size]