Can someone explain...

TroyDyer

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been after a leftback for years as well.

We were turned down by that lad Kelvin Mellor during summer if I recall. We also supposedly were turned down by White, who we were apparently trying to sign on loan recently.

We also signed O'Connor, who could play at leftback, as well as young Hoganson, who is playing there now. It's not as though the club has just been sitting on their hands in this area, we just seem to be finding it hard to find a right option at leftback.

Must be difficult finding a left back.

We looked much better second half with Brayford bombing on from right-back, in fact I'd say he was our best player. Felt sorry for Ben Davies first half, was getting absolutely roasted by their left-winger. Lucky not to be sent off for an off-the-ball rugby tackle having been booked. Too many square pegs ...

The same reason that he put Green at RB, Brayford at CB, Bryson at LW, Hughes at LW, Leacock at RB, Cywka at LW, Couuts at RW, Hulse at CB etc..

He wants to play his best starting 11.. He then gives them a position each..

Instead of having your best formation and then picking players in the correct position, NC simply picks what he feels are the best 11 players available to him.. It's such backwards thinking but he's as stubborn as a mule so we can only get use to it.

...Dean Leacock was an accomplished rightback, and had played most of his youth career there.

Brayford can play centrehalf, and Clough should know this considering that Brayford came through the ranks at Burton.

Bryson was tried at left wing to give...

...Hughes a chance to play the centre. I find it quite funny that you mention both here as one was to accommodate the other, although Hughes first mention I remember in the media called him a left midfielder, so there you go.

Cywka could play on the left, as Coutts can play on the right. I don't see the issue here. The Coutts-Brayford partnership has been crucial at times this season as well.

As for Hulse at centreback, he was there for one game in an injury crisis where Clough was trying it out, in a dead rubber. Here we are asking why a kid wasn't thrown into it against one of the strongest attacks in the league in a backline with another kid in it, yet we bring up Clough experimenting in a dead rubber during an injury crisis years later?! Have you gone mad?!

Clough tries to use his squad the best he can, as every manager does. Sometimes you have to shuffle and use your more versatile players in the positions that need to be filled. This isn't a video game, a lot more comes into it than just the best player in each role. We have a young squad, we have players who aren't fully fit on the bench. Clough basically was left with a choice of Gjokaj at centrehalf, whereby we'd have two kids with effectively no experience at this level taking on one of the best attacks in the league, or we could put the much more experienced Brayford there and use Davies at right back, a position he has played for us before.

I find it funny when some ask for Clough to experiment, only to slam any experimentation he ever makes, then continue to bring it up years later. Just come right out and say you'd not be happy with anything he could ever do, save us some time reading this drivel.

...Dean Leacock was an accomplished rightback, and had played most of his youth career there.

Brayford can play centrehalf, and Clough should know this considering that Brayford came through the ranks at Burton.

...Hughes a chance to play the centre. I find it quite funny that you mention both here as one was to accommodate the other, although Hughes first mention I remember in the media called him a left midfielder, so there you go.

Cywka could play on the left, as Coutts can play on the right. I don't see the issue here. The Coutts-Brayford partnership has been crucial at times this season as well.

As for Hulse at centreback, he was there for one game in an injury crisis where Clough was trying it out, in a dead rubber. Here we are asking why a kid wasn't thrown into it against one of the strongest attacks in the league in a backline with another kid in it, yet we bring up Clough experimenting in a dead rubber during an injury crisis years later?! Have you gone mad?!

Clough tries to use his squad the best he can, as every manager does. Sometimes you have to shuffle and use your more versatile players in the positions that need to be filled. This isn't a video game, a lot more comes into it than just the best player in each role. We have a young squad, we have players who aren't fully fit on the bench. Clough basically was left with a choice of Gjokaj at centrehalf, whereby we'd have two kids with effectively no experience at this level taking on one of the best attacks in the league, or we could put the much more experienced Brayford there and use Davies at right back, a position he has played for us before.

I find it funny when some ask for Clough to experiment, only to slam any experimentation he ever makes, then continue to bring it up years later. Just come right out and say you'd not be happy with anything he could ever do, save us some time reading this drivel.

You call it the "Coutt's-Brayford partnership"...I call it "Brayford".

Are you actually trying to defend these decisions?

Leacock is better in the air than Brayf... Brayf is faster than Leacock... So why try and match Tyson's pace with Leacock and move Brayf in the center to compete with Tudgay or Earnshaw for headers..

All of our midfielders are CM.. Jacobs on the wing is better than any of our CMs out there.. But Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick could be percieved as better players.. But why use one out of position and completely neutralise an attacking winger? None of the CMs are willing to hit the byline or dribble with the ball like Jacobs would..

Cywka was wasted outwide.. He played his better games through the middle or interchanging.. At LW he was asked out with defensive dutires which is hardly his speciality..

Coutts is a central midifielder playing out of position on the right.. We've had a lack of decent RWs for a longtime now..

Putting any CM at RB when we've arguably got the best RB in the league who can offer an attacking outlet is plain ameturish..

I don't mind Clough experiementing.. Perhaps going 3-5-2 and using Brayford as a wingback, or going 4-3-3 and pushing Ward and Jacobs right up alongside Sammon.. But don't play players out of position... You wouldn't catch any other decent manager doing it..

You don't see Fergie putting Carrick at RB, Da Silva at CB, Cleverly at RW, Scholes at LW etc.. It just doesn't make sense..

Are you actually trying to defend these decisions?

Leacock is better in the air than Brayf... Brayf is faster than Leacock... So why try and match Tyson's pace with Leacock and move Brayf in the center to compete with Tudgay or Earnshaw for headers..

All of our midfielders are CM.. Jacobs on the wing is better than any of our CMs out there.. But Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick could be percieved as better players.. But why use one out of position and completely neutralise an attacking winger? None of the CMs are willing to hit the byline or dribble with the ball like Jacobs would..

Cywka was wasted outwide.. He played his better games through the middle or interchanging.. At LW he was asked out with defensive dutires which is hardly his speciality..

Coutts is a central midifielder playing out of position on the right.. We've had a lack of decent RWs for a longtime now..

Putting any CM at RB when we've arguably got the best RB in the league who can offer an attacking outlet is plain ameturish..

I don't mind Clough experiementing.. Perhaps going 3-5-2 and using Brayford as a wingback, or going 4-3-3 and pushing Ward and Jacobs right up alongside Sammon.. But don't play players out of position... You wouldn't catch any other decent manager doing it..

You don't see Fergie putting Carrick at RB, Da Silva at CB, Cleverly at RW, Scholes at LW etc.. It just doesn't make sense..

If I recall, the thinking at the time was that Brayford was more mobile may have been able to deal with the threat of the Forest attack better in the middle. I don't recall all the circumstances though.

...Earnshaw for headers...

It's debatable whether Jacobs is better on the wing than Bryson or Hughes. At top form we couldn't drop Hughes, and he is pretty decent out there on the left, although it is a waste of some of his talent, but it was certainly better to have him there than on the bench. Jacobs is also a worry defensively in comparison to someone like Bryson, but of course, let's just ignore that.

We had better players in the middle than Cywka, and he was fairly decent out wide. Defensively not so much, but that's similar to Jacobs in that respect.

I like Coutts on the right, he is solid defensively, works hard and does his job quite well. Having him there also allows Brayford the freedom to attack more than he could with a player like Jacobs there. Coutts is quite good there, so I don't know what you're complaining about. Just because he's not a pacey winger doesn't mean that he's a bad option for that position.

Where you talking about today with the centremid at rightback? Who would you have lined up with at the back from the start. Buxton was not an option, who would have you gone with? Two kids in the backline against arguably the best attack in the league? You'd have been ripping that one to shreds for decades if he'd done it!

As for other managers, they do it all the time, it's very normal in football. I remember back several years back watching a game where Chelsea played an experimental backline due to injuries. I think Essien was playing at centrehalf or something... Mourinho though... who's he? Sometimes you have to play players out of position, get over it.

Essien is a utility player that can easily play at RB..

Paul Green was far better going forward than he was at the back.. I remember Lloyd Dyer ripping him to shreds when we played Leicester.

As for Ben Davies? Good one.

If NC didn't feel he had sufficient cover at the back why didn't he bring in a loan? Forest started the season with no defenders and plugged their defence with loans.. Why couldn't we?

Paul Green was far better going forward than he was at the back.. I remember Lloyd Dyer ripping him to shreds when we played Leicester.

If NC didn't feel he had sufficient cover at the back why didn't he bring in a loan? Forest started the season with no defenders and plugged their defence with loans.. Why couldn't we?

tflWLTp

Firstly, I'm pretty sure he was at centreback... but no, Essien, who can play there and has done so a handful of times is a far better option than say Brayford, who has played a lot at centrehalf and is more than just competent there. I like seeing how you use the same rules for Clough and other managers.

Paul Green was used there because we had to use someone there. It was a matter of need, not a matter of choice.

Same as above, it's better to have an experienced player who can vaguely play there than two kids in the defence. With Coutts in front of him his defensive job should have been a bit easier as well.

We've been trying to bring people in on loan, it's not as easy as waving your fairy wand and 'poof' there's a new player. We've been knocked back for two leftbacks apparently... it's not a matter of not trying to bring in other players, it's a matter of needing to actually bring them in, with games coming thick and fast, that's not as easy as it seems.

hmmm - maybe we were turned down in our attempts?

Archived