next season...

nfb

On the subject of next season, I personally have very little enthusiasm towards it.

I think it will be more of the same. A poor manager whos stubborness and lack of a plan B will see us start reasonably well, before falling away when other teams figure us out.

Zero creativity because Clough only wants workhorses in his side, and anyone that shows any creativity will wind up on the bench, then sold.

I would like to think next season will be 'make or break' for Nigel, but that's been said for two seasons now, and we're still watching the same ****, and going nowhere.

Just because we occasionally roll the odd team over at home, doesn't make up for woeful tactics and horribly negative away performances.

And as for the conversations earlier about Nigel not having money. That's ridiculous. He has had money to spend, but with the odd exception, he has spent it poorly.

1.3m on a target man that doesn't, in 90 minutes, win more than 1 or 2 headers, has terrible touch, and has no composure in front of goal. Woeful.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we seem to have stagnated, and always get the feeling that we are waiting for the 'right time' to make the push, to actually make the effort to gain promotion. I don't think we've even been close to trying and that in itself should have alarm bells ringing. If it's not in the manager and coaching staff's mentality to want to be a winner, I cannot see the team being winners under that regime.

I just can't belive that anyone would think the manager, his staff and players don't want to win.

Not being able to, or not knowing how to are totally different things - but not wanting to ????

For next season we need a slight improvement in home form and turn a few more draws into wins - but only 2 home league defeats so far isn't too shabby.

And we need a reasonable improvement in away form - that's all that is really holding us back this season.

Home games have been pretty good really, except for possibly Brighton and Wolves (missed that one so I'll have to take other people's word for it), plenty of goals scored so I'm not at all disappointed so far.

If you look back at just a few matches there is a very fine line between where we are and the play-offs (yes, I know every team can say that, but I'm talking about us) - don't concede a late goal against Sheff Wed or Burnley, or an early goal at Huddersfield.

That's 5 points and things quickly look a whole lot better. Even a slight deflection on Ward's free kick on Saturday could have given us those 2 extra points to be level with Boro' (who have lost more than us away.

I just can't belive that anyone would think the manager, his staff and players don't want to win.

Not being able to, or not knowing how to are totally different things - but not wanting to ????

For next season we need a slight improvement in home form and turn a few more draws into wins - but only 2 home league defeats so far isn't too shabby.

And we need a reasonable improvement in away form - that's all that is really holding us back this season.

Home games have been pretty good really, except for possibly Brighton and Wolves (missed that one so I'll have to take other people's word for it), plenty of goals scored so I'm not at all disappointed so far.

If you look back at just a few matches there is a very fine line between where we are and the play-offs (yes, I know every team can say that, but I'm talking about us) - don't concede a late goal against Sheff Wed or Burnley, or an early goal at Huddersfield.

That's 5 points and things quickly look a whole lot better. Even a slight deflection on Ward's free kick on Saturday could have given us those 2 extra points to be level with Boro' (who have lost more than us away.

So you would call playing 451 at home to a team that can't buy a win as wanting to win ?? And to say that that we need a reasonable improvement in away form is typical of the total complacency attached to our club at the moment.

I am pretty convinced there have been numerous occasions where no attempt whatsoever has been made to win the game, hence, they don't want to win!

When you see clubs like Oldham doing what they're doing, in the four years under Nigel, when have we ever won against the odds?

So you would call playing 451 at home to a team that can't buy a win as wanting to win ?? And to say that that we need a reasonable improvement in away form is typical of the total complacency attached to our club at the moment.

We played 4-4-2, couldn't score. If he didn't change it round, you probably would have been on this forum criticising 'One Plan Nigel - can't even change it round to beat a team who can't buy a win'.

You've taken that tactical change completely out of context to suit your argument.

I'm not a Clough lover (or hater), and I don't think the sun shines out of his a*rse, but don't pass on half truths as the whole thing to fit your agenda.

Asanovic, that's probably fair, but I would add that you should always pick the best tactics to suit your team, and you should have the right mentality to suit your tactics.

I said in another thread that any attacking formation, whether 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 will fail if there are massive spaces in between the (most advanced) midfielder and the forward/striker. Not helped by an urgency by 9 outfield players to get behind the ball.

Asanovic, that's probably fair, but I would add that you should always pick the best tactics to suit your team, and you should have the right mentality to suit your tactics.

I said in another thread that any attacking formation, whether 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 will fail if there are massive spaces in between the (most advanced) midfielder and the forward/striker. Not helped by an urgency by 9 outfield players to get behind the ball.

I'm not disagreeing with that - we need an offensive midfidler, I've said that for a long time. Just don't castigate the bloke for changing it round and making it sound like we were negative the whole game! We obviously had a go at the end and tried to win the game - if we didn't, how did the ball end up on the edge of the area for Ward's free kick?

Don't really agree with the 9 men behind the ball stuff but I respect your opinion - I just don't see that happening.

I am pretty convinced there have been numerous occasions where no attempt whatsoever has been made to win the game, hence, they don't want to win!

When you see clubs like Oldham doing what they're doing, in the four years under Nigel, when have we ever won against the odds?

First of all, rubbish.

Second, Oldham. The very same Oldham that are in the relegation zone of League One? Maybe they should concentrate on the league instead of the cup.

Damn right.

Why would you set up a team, consisting of a 17 yr old ball playing midfielder, a 20 year old, and Bryson Ward and Coutts who all together weigh about 10 stone wet through, to battle it out fin midfield for a draw against an ex-prem side that has been built to do just that.

Absolutely bonkers.

On the subject of next season, I personally have very little enthusiasm towards it.

I think it will be more of the same. A poor manager whos stubborness and lack of a plan B will see us start reasonably well, before falling away when other teams figure us out.

Zero creativity because Clough only wants workhorses in his side, and anyone that shows any creativity will wind up on the bench, then sold.

I would like to think next season will be 'make or break' for Nigel, but that's been said for two seasons now, and we're still watching the same ****, and going nowhere.

Just because we occasionally roll the odd team over at home, doesn't make up for woeful tactics and horribly negative away performances.

And as for the conversations earlier about Nigel not having money. That's ridiculous. He has had money to spend, but with the odd exception, he has spent it poorly.

1.3m on a target man that doesn't, in 90 minutes, win more than 1 or 2 headers, has the *, and has no composure in front of goal. Woeful.

He has spent it poorly has he?

Jamie Ward.

John Brayford

Gareth Roberts

Craig Bryson

Jake Buxton

Richard Keogh

Paul Coutts

Theo Robinson

Michael Jacobs

Adam Legzdins

There's just a few that he's picked up for very little.

When you are dealing in the type of market Clough is, it is very difficult to find bargains. He has.

For me he's doing a pretty good job and will have my full support.

First of all, rubbish.

Second, Oldham. The very same Oldham that are in the relegation zone of League One? Maybe they should concentrate on the league instead of the cup.

I asked the question "when did we win against the odds in four years?" Nothing about the league. This is about the manager's ability to motivate his team. Look at what effect Billy had on Notts Forest last night, he got them going!

Archived