next season...

nfb

We seem to debate about the same few points most of the time these days, 'We are/arn't good enough for the play off's, striker/no striker.. no ambition..... average/decent/cr@p manager.'.etc..

For me,next season is our IF season.....

It will go something like this,IF we get Barker back and IF he's a good as b4, and IF we can keep the squad we have, and IF to that squad we can find funds to add another decent striker and left back,maybe 1 other, and IF the key players stay fit ! we could do well......

Or IF we sell Hughes, ( Hendrick,or Brayford )(hopefully not all three), and can get 3/4 (or even 5/6 depending who goes) decent players for positions we all know do or will need strengthening (if we do,NC does, one hopes !) with the money....... then i think we can do better than the mid/ upper mid table position i predicted for the last 2 seasons.......... IF

But if not,i think that gates will decline further, and Clough will go, by choice, because i believe even he will feel that enough is enough of flogging a 'dead horse' (my euphemism for no ambition.),

Oh well,rant over,I had to get that off my chest, and i hope that the board give us a clue about their real views on the direction of the club so we can all understand sooner rather than later, not season ticket hype ......

Why would Nigel go? He's here for the long haul. Notice that the key here is long. It's not as though the board are shovelling money into his lap. If he get's us promoted, that's fantastic, but ultimately in these instances patience is a virtue.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This season was make or break for me personally.

He's had money, he's had time to get players in/out and get a idea of his best eleven. FOUR years..

When will enough be enough?

People will happily wait half a decade for a promotion push.

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!

Coming from the guy who lives over ten thousand miles away and most probably hasn't attended a game all season. Good one fella!

Where's the pie charts and your silly little diagrams?

And how much money has your lover boy Nigel spent compared to someone like Jackett? Who's side are just afew places below ours. Do they have 1.2 million to blow on a Wigan reject?

Ward, Bryson and Brayford getting new high paid contracts is much better than a new signing here or there in my opinion.

I read a book called Soccernomics and one thing I learnt from it is the success of a club and its league position is reflected more by its spend on wages than its net spend.

So one club that gives its better players a good wage and keeps them on longer wages will be more prudent than a club that spends a lot and sells a lot. Arsenal have been renowned for this and the only way they have been able to bypass the departure of their best players is by having an incredible youth set-up.

The one fall back derby have is that we have young high valued asetts in will hughes, mason bennett, Jeff Hendrick (brayford to a certain extent). However the three named are not in a position in their career to say 'give me a good wage because i will go to a better club if not'

What a useless Board we have! They don't invest money at all and can`t improve our away form for the last four years. Though we have a brilliant manager who never play his players out of position, not using 4 CM all the time, great tactician, the best motivator, he never has a mistake, never using stupid excuses in his interviews and he is doing a greatest job. No one can do better.

Can't we just sack Clough now and get Adkins in before he goes to Leeds, I can't stand another season of total boredom and banality treading water on the seas of mediocrity yet again

Because chopping and changing managers has worked so well for other certain clubs:

bcSGoJM

22GdWgn

5aJEiwW

lQbZ9FI

7vINEir

plvHVcj

3AhEfMg

Coming from the guy who lives over ten thousand miles away and most probably hasn't attended a game all season. Good one fella!

And how much money has your lover boy Nigel spent compared to someone like Jackett?

Your out of line.

Albert doesn't have to be at games to know how much money clough has had.

You have personally mocked Albert over his use of statistical analysis, which are very informative.

Where are Millwall in the league compared to us? Sorry for not noticing Kenny Jackett is god.

Go have a long good look at yourself, you have used personal insults to make your point which just shows how poor your point is.

Ward, Bryson and Brayford getting new high paid contracts is much better than a new signing here or there in my opinion.

But we all know that they won't get new higher paid contracts because of the wage structure currently in force at Derby. Obviously the clubs business model is to keep turning players over and thereby lose any stability or consistency in the playing team

And how much money has your lover boy Nigel spent compared to someone like Jackett? Who's side are just afew places below ours. Do they have 1.2 million to blow on a Wigan reject?

Nigel has slashed the wage bill to mere fractions of what it was, he's had to sell to buy, but ultimately it's hard to calculate exactly what the overall spend has been.

Because chopping and changing managers has worked so well for other certain clubs:

bcSGoJM

22GdWgn

5aJEiwW

lQbZ9FI

7vINEir

plvHVcj

3AhEfMg

Would hardly be classified as chopping and changing if Clough has been in situ for over 4 years now, hardly comparable to the circus that has been Nottingham Forest over the past 12 months

But we all know that they won't get new higher paid contracts because of the wage structure currently in force at Derby. Obviously the clubs business model is to keep turning players over and thereby lose any stability or consistency in the playing team

I agree they probably wont all get new contracts. But they must.

If they did and we made 3 or 4 signings, 2 big signings i.e. over 750 thousand in the summer we would make the playoffs, that is my honest opinion.

If they did and we made 3 or 4 signings, 2 big signings i.e. over 750 thousand in the summer we would make the playoffs, that is my honest opinion.

But we all know that this won't happen, the club directors are not suddenly going to break their current financial ethos and start speculating to accumulate. Look forward to another mid table finish next year.

Your out of line.

Albert doesn't have to be at games to know how much money clough has had.

You have personally mocked Albert over his use of statistical analysis, which are very informative.

Where are Millwall in the league compared to us? Sorry for not noticing Kenny Jackett is god.

Go have a long good look at yourself, you have used personal insults to make your point which just shows how poor your point is.

I've had a look at myself... Yup still a sexy beast.

Alberto doesn't attend games, yet often mocks posters opinions. How can he come to a conclusion about the club ten thousand miles away?!

And where's the personal insult? He's the one constantly laughing at others opinions, that's a insult kiddo!

bcSGoJM

22GdWgn

5aJEiwW

lQbZ9FI

7vINEir

plvHVcj

3AhEfMg

It hasn't exactly worked out bad though has it? 2 playoff finishes, currently in midtable, money and a good manager to push next season..

The moment they reach the PL the past 5 years or so of chopping and changing manager won't matter.. Because they'll be a PL club with PL finances and be able to attract far better players than you average NPC club could..

I'm still yet to believe that 'building for the long haul' in the NPC and sticking with a manager for X amount of years actually works.. I mean what's the point of trying to build for the long haul in this division when all it takes is 1 year to get promoted.. We could be building for the next 3 years, and then all of a sudden we get 2 injuries, sell a few players and we end up relegated like Coventry..

how many first team regulars have been sold under Cloughs reign that haven't either refused a contract(Commons( been old and injured (Hulse - was injured when sold).

only one.

there has been turnover of fringe players and players that didn't progress as expected.

the players named are first team regulars,lets see what happens to contracts over the next few months and not make unfounded presumptions

It hasn't exactly worked out bad though has it? 2 playoff finishes, currently in midtable, money and a good manager to push next season..

The moment they reach the PL the past 5 years or so of chopping and changing manager won't matter.. Because they'll be a PL club with PL finances and be able to attract far better players than you average NPC club could..

I'm still yet to believe that 'building for the long haul' in the NPC and sticking with a manager for X amount of years actually works.. I mean what's the point of trying to build for the long haul in this division when all it takes is 1 year to get promoted.. We could be building for the next 3 years, and then all of a sudden we get 2 injuries, sell a few players and we end up relegated like Coventry..

Coventry are a bad example - they never tried to build anything.

It will be interesting to see movements on new contracts over the summer.

The first question surely has to be the likes of Hoganson and any other development players who have impressed.

Beyond that then there's the first team players with a year left:

Legzdins

Fielding

Brayford

O'Connor

Freeman

Gjokaj

Buxton

Bryson

Ward

Ball

Theo?

That's one serious list of players who might be up for a contract extension. Surely there'll be movement before the end of the summer on new deals for:

Legzdins

Fielding

Brayford

Bryson

Ward

and hopefully:

Freeman

Gjokaj

and dependant on form:

Theo

Buxton

I guess we'll see though.

Alberto doesn't attend games, yet often mocks posters opinions. How can he come to a conclusion about the club ten thousand miles away?!

Same goes for Bris, both talk utter ********

B34RvTI

He can watch games on the rams player, which i think he does. Yes there is a difference from watching the 90 minutes on a computer compared to watching the game at the stadium but that doesn't make his opinion invalid.

Anything else besides watching the football will be exactly the same as it is in Australia, spending included.

I ask you this what about the people that dont even watch the games based in Derby that just listen to radio, if your argument is valid Albert has a better right to talk about the club because he watches the games.

I think we need to buy 3 players in the summer to improve us, and make us a top 6 team.

A new left back is essential, and i can see that being Aiden White, with Leeds likely to invest heavily in the summer, he may be unwanted.

A striker - 20 goals needed, Sammon obviously isn't capable of scoring 20 goals, but his strike partner usually does score, being evident with Ward this season. However, I think Ward prefers being on the wing, and in my opinion is better on the left wing, and it will give us a fixed left winger, something we haven't had this season, so someone like Billy Sharp. This is where we are likely to fall down because a signing like this will cost £2 million, if he's proven at this level.

A centre mid/right mid (optional) - depending if Hughes goes in the summer, which isn't looking likely given his dip in form, he'll need replacing, depending if he bring Coutts into central midfield, we'll need a right midfielder or if he keeps Coutts on the right, we'll need a bit of back up.

Out

Bailey (£250,000), Ball (£0), Robinson (£500,000), Tyson (£0), Doyle (£0), Deeney (£0), Davies (£200,000)

With the above leaving and raising £1 million, that would go a fair way to getting a striker.

With a good striker and good left back costing the best part of £2.5 million, obviously the deficit would have to be met by the board.

-------------------------------Legzdins------------------------------

----Brayford---------Keogh----------Barker----------White-----

----Coutts----------Hendrick---------Hughes---------Ward-----

------------------------Sharp-----------Sammon--------------------

Back up - Fielding, Bryson, Buxton, Jacobs, O'Brien, O'Connor, Naylor, Bennett, Gjokaj, Hoganson, Lelan and Freeman

I think that team would be good enough to finish in the top 6, but of course those signings are optimistic.

If not for the new owners it would have been a disaster. Their two playoff finishes came under the same manager as well, the same manager who had half a season with the side before his first one. It's more a case of the last time they stopped for a second they did okay, before starting the real chop and change policy.

Archived