next season...

nfb

We seem to debate about the same few points most of the time these days, 'We are/arn't good enough for the play off's, striker/no striker.. no ambition..... average/decent/cr@p manager.'.etc..

For me,next season is our IF season.....

It will go something like this,IF we get Barker back and IF he's a good as b4, and IF we can keep the squad we have, and IF to that squad we can find funds to add another decent striker and left back,maybe 1 other, and IF the key players stay fit ! we could do well......

Or IF we sell Hughes, ( Hendrick,or Brayford )(hopefully not all three), and can get 3/4 (or even 5/6 depending who goes) decent players for positions we all know do or will need strengthening (if we do,NC does, one hopes !) with the money....... then i think we can do better than the mid/ upper mid table position i predicted for the last 2 seasons.......... IF

But if not,i think that gates will decline further, and Clough will go, by choice, because i believe even he will feel that enough is enough of flogging a 'dead horse' (my euphemism for no ambition.),

Oh well,rant over,I had to get that off my chest, and i hope that the board give us a clue about their real views on the direction of the club so we can all understand sooner rather than later, not season ticket hype ......

Now b4 is a very passionate fan and there is no doubting his commitment but I honestly think we need someone better than him in defence if we are going to challenge for the play offs.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out

Bailey (£250,000), Ball (£0), Robinson (£500,000), Tyson (£0), Doyle (£0), Deeney (£0), Davies (£200,000)

With the above leaving and raising £1 million, that would go a fair way to getting a striker.

Bavies contract expires in the summer will leave for free

Bailey will leave on a nominal fee - a player we don't want will not raise £200k plus

Tyson will be about £250k though as he has another year to run

Robinson contract expires in the summer unless we take up a years option.

well be lucky to get half a million for the players you list

I think we need to buy 3 players in the summer to improve us, and make us a top 6 team.

A new left back is essential, and i can see that being Aiden White, with Leeds likely to invest heavily in the summer, he may be unwanted.

A striker - 20 goals needed, Sammon obviously isn't capable of scoring 20 goals, but his strike partner usually does score, being evident with Ward this season. However, I think Ward prefers being on the wing, and in my opinion is better on the left wing, and it will give us a fixed left winger, something we haven't had this season, so someone like Billy Sharp. This is where we are likely to fall down because a signing like this will cost £2 million, if he's proven at this level.

A centre mid/right mid (optional) - depending if Hughes goes in the summer, which isn't looking likely given his dip in form, he'll need replacing, depending if he bring Coutts into central midfield, we'll need a right midfielder or if he keeps Coutts on the right, we'll need a bit of back up.

Out

Bailey (£250,000), Ball (£0), Robinson (£500,000), Tyson (£0), Doyle (£0), Deeney (£0), Davies (£200,000)

With the above leaving and raising £1 million, that would go a fair way to getting a striker.

With a good striker and good left back costing the best part of £2.5 million, obviously the deficit would have to be met by the board.

-------------------------------Legzdins------------------------------

----Brayford---------Keogh----------Barker----------White-----

----Coutts----------Hendrick---------Hughes---------Ward-----

------------------------Sharp-----------Sammon--------------------

Back up - Fielding, Bryson, Buxton, Jacobs, O'Brien, O'Connor, Naylor, Bennett, Gjokaj, Hoganson, Lelan and Freeman

I think that team would be good enough to finish in the top 6, but of course those signings are optimistic.

Davies is off contract, we aren't going to get a fee for him.

Theo is also off contract, but there's a year option. I doubt we'd take it unless we wanted to keep him though. If there's a buyer lined up, and Theo knows he's going, it would be bizarre to take the option just to sell him. There's always the risk of taking the option (in which case he's a player with a year left, never going to command a decent fee), we could be left with him for the season, which could well cost us £250k+ rather than getting us ~£500k.

You're right though, we really need a striker up top who is a natural goal scorer to allow Ward back out wide (if that is what he wants). I am hoping that is Bennet in some ways, but it would be foolish to pin our hopes on a (then) 17 year old.

Hopefully we can bring in a leftback with a view to a permanent deal as well before the season is out.

Now b4 is a very passionate fan and there is no doubting his commitment but I honestly think we need someone better than him in defence if we are going to challenge for the play offs.

G,your funny, but Franco beat u to it..... page 1

If you read the various opinions on here,one can see the complexities of management, cos lots of us have valid views, albeit different, hence why i started the subject with it being our IF season. I think it will be interesting this summer to see what the board,and subsequently Clough do......[size=4]and will say alot about our future prospects, and therefore the near future of the club,without it being sold![/size]

I personally hope that the future is our youth,and our Academy, I would love and be proud to support a club that brings on youth and invests in youth, especially with decent players being hard to come by at a price we(the board) are prepared to pay, we try to keep this squad together, remove fringe players the likes of which have been highlighted, to cut the wage bill, and add 3 players, of quality !

Chris Wood cost Leicester a mere million, anyone with two eyeballs can see he's a much better player than Sammon and alot younger too.

But according to others, Sammon was a snipe at 1.2million.

Mocking the comment about Clough having had the funds available . How did He sign the likes of Barker, Brayford, Bryson, Keogh, Shackell, Robinson, Sammon, Porter, Moxey, Jacobs, Davies ETC then if nothing's been available to spend?

I'd like us to get rid of Rammy if thats any help.

Lets face it, he's an embarrassment.

Rammie has been around for ages cant get rid of him

Kill, kill, kill.......

Oh for the days when Miss Derby County used to walk round the pitch in a sash, high heels, and a swim suit.

Thats more likely to generate atmosphere.

Don't have energy to read all the posts here but next season we lose a couple of good players and sign a couple of lower league players and cut down our wage bill.

I really dont think that will be the case.

I will put money on us not losing a starting 11 player in the summer.

The worry i have is that key player contracts will not be extended in turn. I think we will see one big signing and then as you say the usual lower league players.

This seems to be said an awful lot each season but next season will be it or bust. because quite a lot of our good players will be nearing the end of the contracts and another season of mid table will see them leave for sure. we have to remember nearly every player in our squad should be a better player next season as they are young and have not peaked yet.

This is what I mean about the WUM remarks.

Chris Wood cost Leicester a mere million, anyone with two eyeballs can see he's a much better player than Sammon and alot younger too.

But according to him and others, Sammon was a snipe at 1.2million.

And mocking the comment about Clough having had the funds available . How did He sign the likes of Barker, Brayford, Bryson, Keogh, Shackell, Robinson, Sammon, Porter, Moxey, Jacobs, Davies ETC then if nothing's been available to spend ? The famous Cloughie charm was it?

It's absolutely nonscense how anyone can say he's had nothing to work with. He could have found plenty of proven strikers better than Sammon and spending almost 400k on a near 30 year old Ben Davies...madness. Yet people will say we've got our money's worth with him, what's he actually brought to the club? The odd assist last season, but he's most likely leaving for naff all in the summer. Not worthy of 400k when Readng in a younger, BETTER player in Le Fondre for less.

Would you trust Nigel Clough with a 5million war chest? I certainly wouldn't after the crock of **** like Maguire, Martin, Porter...

Are you a WUM?

I get sick of nonsense posted about Nigel's record as it normally goes something like:

Poster A: Nigel's record is terrible, just look at Maguire, Porter, Pringle, etc.

Me: Uh... Porter had serious injury trouble, he looked great when he first arrived. Pringle was only a development player and ultimately, beyond Croft, Maguire and Martin it's hard to find fault in his record, it's pretty much immaculate

Poster A: Oh yeah, what about [cherry picked singular transfer by one club out of context]

Me: What about that players wages, would we have had the money for his fee and wages? Yes, clubs make good transfers. There are 24 clubs in this division, and every once and a while there is an exception piece of business, there is a lot of rubbish business and well. The key here is that Nigel's record has more good than bad by a huge margin

Poster A: No it doesn't!

Me: What? That wasn't even an argument, you just stated you were right

Poster B: My opinion, [repeat part about cherry picked singular transfer], repeat about Maguire, Porter, Pringle

Me: ???

Rinse and repeat.

It's been done to death. Come on, tell me about all of the terrible expensive signings Nigel's made, because put bluntly there are:

Croft - Free, but high wages apparently

Hendrie - Part exchange, but again, wages

Maguire - A smallish fee, doubt his wages were massive, and we got much of the money back

Martin - A small fee, we got a fee for him, oh well

...who else? Beyond that there are only things beyond the club's control, like Porter's hip injury (and he looked great before it) and then youth players. The fact that people resort to youth players in this discussion shows how few examples there are.

Then we have Wood. He was too expensive, he was far too expensive. His fee was reported to be at least larger than Sammon's, if not by quite a bit. He was also not available as a permanent transfer at the time. Then there's his wages, the reason why we wouldn't have signed him. You're right, he's a good player, and clubs can see that, and as such he is almost certainly on a good pay packet. We do however need to remember that he's a different type of player to Sammon though. A lot of people measure strikers in only goals, but there's a lot more to it than that, and Sammon is a great example of that. You can get strike rates from the paper, you have to see the games to see what else players like Sammon do for the team.

Speaking of Ben Davies, he was one of the leading assist makers in the League the first half of last season, and up there at the end too. That's not the odd assist, he was massive in that great run of form.

Speaking of Le Fondre, I'm still not convinced. He's alright, he can score goals, but I really don't see what else he brings. His strike rate last year was similar to Theo from a similar amount of game time. If I recall, Davies' was better than his... Yeah, he's scoring a few at Premier League level now as well, but so did Varney.

Decided to get my seat back for next season.

Not expecting much, but can see some key players leavin during the Summer; Brayford, Fieding, Robinson, Ward..

People seem to think we have stability but we are losing key players ever season. Losing Brayford would be criminal, especially with one year remaining on his contract. I'd do my upmost to tie him down to a better contract a get rid of the deadwood like Doyle, Deeney, Davies.

Also can see Lelan, Gjajak in the side often next season. I rate O'Brien but he is never going to get a full season under him, his knees are like play dough.

Also reckon Leicester will come in for Ward. He's the one I think we should do everything in our power to keep too. The rest can go if the money was right, Hughes includeded.

I hope you are right.

Checklist:

Do make sure Hughes, Ward, Brayford or Hendrick are not sold

Do give new contracts to those nearing the end of their current deal, who are in the main 18 man matchday squad.

Do sign a Left Back and a Striker

Do ensure Barker can play, if not sign a Centre Back

Do play 442 away from home

Do sell the unneeded, Doyle, Bailey, Davies, Tyson, Deeney

Do get board members interacting with the fans more (sam rush could provide this)

Do make sure there is an understanding between owner ambition and backroom staff ambition (This season we had Andy Appelby saying we were definitely going for the playoffs and then Nigel saying a point against a struggling Wolves side was deserved and about right)

This Checklist will get promotion.

http://www.theskyisnotyourlimit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/meerkat

Are you a WUM?

I get sick of nonsense posted about Nigel's record as it normally goes something like:

Poster A: Nigel's record is terrible, just look at Maguire, Porter, Pringle, etc.

Me: Uh... Porter had serious injury trouble, he looked great when he first arrived. Pringle was only a development player and ultimately, beyond Croft, Maguire and Martin it's hard to find fault in his record, it's pretty much immaculate

Poster A: Oh yeah, what about [cherry picked singular transfer by one club out of context]

Me: What about that players wages, would we have had the money for his fee and wages? Yes, clubs make good transfers. There are 24 clubs in this division, and every once and a while there is an exception piece of business, there is a lot of rubbish business and well. The key here is that Nigel's record has more good than bad by a huge margin

Poster A: No it doesn't!

Me: What? That wasn't even an argument, you just stated you were right

Poster B: My opinion, [repeat part about cherry picked singular transfer], repeat about Maguire, Porter, Pringle

Me: ???

Rinse and repeat.

It's been done to death. Come on, tell me about all of the terrible expensive signings Nigel's made, because put bluntly there are:

Croft - Free, but high wages apparently

Hendrie - Part exchange, but again, wages

Maguire - A smallish fee, doubt his wages were massive, and we got much of the money back

Martin - A small fee, we got a fee for him, oh well

...who else? Beyond that there are only things beyond the club's control, like Porter's hip injury (and he looked great before it) and then youth players. The fact that people resort to youth players in this discussion shows how few examples there are.

Then we have Wood. He was too expensive, he was far too expensive. His fee was reported to be at least larger than Sammon's, if not by quite a bit. He was also not available as a permanent transfer at the time. Then there's his wages, the reason why we wouldn't have signed him. You're right, he's a good player, and clubs can see that, and as such he is almost certainly on a good pay packet. We do however need to remember that he's a different type of player to Sammon though. A lot of people measure strikers in only goals, but there's a lot more to it than that, and Sammon is a great example of that. You can get strike rates from the paper, you have to see the games to see what else players like Sammon do for the team.

Speaking of Ben Davies, he was one of the leading assist makers in the League the first half of last season, and up there at the end too. That's not the odd assist, he was massive in that great run of form.

Speaking of Le Fondre, I'm still not convinced. He's alright, he can score goals, but I really don't see what else he brings. His strike rate last year was similar to Theo from a similar amount of game time. If I recall, Davies' was better than his... Yeah, he's scoring a few at Premier League level now as well, but so did Varney.

Nigel Cloughs signings are really good for a side aiming to avoid the drop to L1

Nigel Cloughs signings are good for an average NPC club..

Nigel Cloughs signings are average for a side aiming for the PL.

I think it can go something like this.. Although your opinions based on what signings are good is done by a poster firmly in the 'pro Clough' camp.. Mine are naturally opposite though I try to be fair as possible.. I know it's been done to death, but I still struggle to see how spending $1mill on an average CB can be seen as a 'good deal'..

Regardless or form or injuries.. Any signing can be classed as a good signing... You can only judge whether it was or not by what X player produces at the club.. You trying to defend Porter is similar to Chelsea trying to defend Torres.. Both could have turned out excellent had it not been for injuries and a lack of form.. As it happened, both turned out poor and didn't produce anything like the transfer fee warranted..

How'd you know how many assists Ben Davies made? Your not even in the Country. Did you see that stat on the BBC football section? SkySports..?

Chris Wood expensive? no more expensive than a Conor Sammon or a Richard Keogh. You can't say they are expensive or on a huge salary without being the player themselves.

Leicester City have signed West Brom striker Chris Wood for a fee believed to be in the region of £1m.

The New Zealand international, 21, was recalled from his loan at Millwall last week, after scoring 11 goals in 19 games this season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20844911 there's your proof he cost less than Sammon anyway.

And how was Maguire cheap? Was brought in for around 400,000 after the club spent a lifetime trying to agree a compensation package. If money is so tight, that's almost half a million down the pan on that one player alone!

Never mentioned Lee Croft nor Hendrie. Again I don't know how much they earned, but nor do you.

Why is Saul Deeney still here if the wages are so tight? Doyle? Atkins? Davies? O'Connor? Might be on next to nothing wages, but they all cost money. Sell the lot of them and you'll surely have the funds available for a good solid player at this level.

Decided to get my seat back for next season.

Not expecting much, but can see some key players leavin during the Summer; Brayford, Fieding, Robinson, Ward..

People seem to think we have stability but we are losing key players ever season. Losing Brayford would be criminal, especially with one year remaining on his contract. I'd do my upmost to tie him down to a better contract a get rid of the deadwood like Doyle, Deeney, Davies.

Also can see Lelan, Gjajak in the side often next season. I rate O'Brien but he is never going to get a full season under him, his knees are like play dough.

Also reckon Leicester will come in for Ward. He's the one I think we should do everything in our power to keep too. The rest can go if the money was right, Hughes includeded.

which Key players have we lost?

Commons - he was offered a contract and turned it down

Hulse - old and injured

Shackell - replaced before the Summer window closed

who else?

How do you mow how many assists Ben Davies made? Your not even in the Country. Did you see that stat on the BBC football section? SkySports..?

Chris Wood expensive? no more expensive than a Conor Sammon or a Richard Keogh. You can't say they are expensive or on a huge salary without being the player themselves.

Leicester City have signed West Brom striker Chris Wood for a fee believed to be in the region of £1m.

The New Zealand international, 21, was recalled from his loan at Millwall last week, after scoring 11 goals in 19 games this season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20844911 there's your proof he cost less than Sammon anyway.

And how was Maguire cheap? Was brought in for around 400,000 after the club spent a lifetime trying to agree a compensation package. If money is so tight, that's almost half a million down the pan on that one player alone!

Never mentioned Lee Croft nor Hendrie. Again I don't know how much they earned, but nor do you.

Why is Saul Deeney still here if the wages are so tight? Doyle? Atkins? Davies? O'Connor? Might be on next to nothing wages, but they all cost money. Sell the lot of them and you'll surely have the funds available for a good solid player at this level.

Soccerbase or Soccernet has all the stats you need. Can I suggest doing a bit if research before posting

Archived