Simeon Jackson

LawsonRam

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michu has got to be the find of the season. However found him should do the Euromillions tonight then loan us the money interest free for 10 years. Come on lets get to the promised Land and stay there!

Note to self - start taking the medicine again!

Does anyone listen to Guardian Football Weekly/read Sid Lowe? Michu was in his Spanish League team of the season last year and by his own admission, there was nothing clever in the selection as he was so good.

All the talk of Michu been some great find seems to be more to do with the lack of knowledge of foregin football from within Britain. This is more than expected from the likes of MOTD and Sky, but harder to understand how more clubs weren't aware of his situation.

Makes you winder exactly how clued up our clubs are with foregin talent-are they mostly just reliant on agents when they sign lesser known players from smaller leagues. Newcastle's masterstroke simply seems to be having someone watch lots of games in France and pick out the better players for them to sign.

Interesting comment there especially in relation to Newcastle. I was chatting to a scout from Newcastle on Saturday at Pride Park aafter the Blackburn game. He was quite clear that the signings they have made were based on a couple of years research, tracking and hard work.

I also asked who he had come to wartch and he was unfortunately very professional and would only say it was a Derby player.

Interesting comment there especially in relation to Newcastle. I was chatting to a scout from Newcastle on Saturday at Pride Park aafter the Blackburn game. He was quite clear that the signings they have made were based on a couple of years research, tracking and hard work.

I also asked who he had come to wartch and he was unfortunately very professional and would only say it was a Derby player.

He must have been watching Gareth Roberts then

Interesting. I didn't mean to belittle Newcastle's work. Just that it doesn't seem like rocket science, or a huge expense, to do this sort of thing. Especially when compared to the vast salaries thrown at players. Samba on 100k per week. Imagine the returns if you spent 100k per week paying top scouts around the world.

Listen I am not taking a pay cut ok!

In all seriousness Scouts dont get paid a fortune unlike the agents. The work is in the research and trying to unearth the gems that aren't poisened by greed, ego and the trappings. Not easy as once the agents get involved heads are normally changed. I liked the interview with the young lad John Sones who signed for Everton last night. He appeared a little star struck by it and genuienly so excited about the move. Sceptics will say its just about the money, but a little enthusiasm, innocence and ability is quite rare these days. Good luck to him.

Archived