Simeon Jackson

LawsonRam

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Sport/Derby-County-FC/Released-Canary-Simeon-Jackson-could-be-target-for-Derby-County-20130521165717.htm

DERBY County may reunite former strike partners Simeon Jackson and Chris Martin after the latter was released by Norwich City.

The Rams signed Martin permanently earlier this month after a successful loan spell, and manager Nigel Clough has been linked with 26-year-old Canada international Jackson in the past.

Former Albion boss Clough says he has “four or five” names on his wish-list as Derby step up their search for another striker.

The Rams boss has made it clear that he wants four good quality strikers on his books next season, so that the club do not become over-reliant on any one player.

And with Martin joining Jamie Ward and Conor Sammon, Clough is one shy of that target.

Derby do still count Nathan Tyson and Theo Robinson amongst their numbers, but both have been transfer-listed, while youngsters Callum Ball and Mason Bennett are not expected to be first-teamers yet.

“We’re trying to get four strikers of a good quality on the books and with Chris Martin, Jamie Ward and Conor Sammon here for next season, and we are now looking to bring one more in,” said Clough.

“We have four or five names on our list and we’re looking to get one of those through the door this summer.

“We’ll work our way through those and but there’s no timeframe on it, we may well have to be patient.”

Jackson was among 10 players released by Norwich this week, with ex-Ram Lee Camp also among the players looking for a new club.

He scored 21 goals in 86 appearances and helped fire the club to promotion from the Championship in 2011.

DERBY duo Craig Bryson and Paul Coutts have once again failed to make the Scotland squad, after Gordon Strachan announced his squad yesterday.

There was better news for Robinson however, who has been called up to the Jamaica squad for their friendlies against Tottenham Hotspur and the Bahamas.

Meanwhile, young defender Valentin Gjokaj has been named in the Albania under-21 squad for their forthcoming Euro 2015 qualifiers.

The centre-back will be in contention to win his fourth and possibly fifth cap against Hungary on Saturday, June 7 and Bosnia-Herzegovina on Tuesday, June 11.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Sport/Derby-County-FC/Released-Canary-Simeon-Jackson-could-be-target-for-Derby-County-20130521165717.htm

DERBY County may reunite former strike partners Simeon Jackson and Chris Martin after the latter was released by Norwich City.

The Rams signed Martin permanently earlier this month after a successful loan spell, and manager Nigel Clough has been linked with 26-year-old Canada international Jackson in the past.

Former Albion boss Clough says he has “four or five” names on his wish-list as Derby step up their search for another striker.

The Rams boss has made it clear that he wants four good quality strikers on his books next season, so that the club do not become over-reliant on any one player.

And with Martin joining Jamie Ward and Conor Sammon, Clough is one shy of that target.

Derby do still count Nathan Tyson and Theo Robinson amongst their numbers, but both have been transfer-listed, while youngsters Callum Ball and Mason Bennett are not expected to be first-teamers yet.

“We’re trying to get four strikers of a good quality on the books and with Chris Martin, Jamie Ward and Conor Sammon here for next season, and we are now looking to bring one more in,” said Clough.

“We have four or five names on our list and we’re looking to get one of those through the door this summer.

“We’ll work our way through those and but there’s no timeframe on it, we may well have to be patient.”

Jackson was among 10 players released by Norwich this week, with ex-Ram Lee Camp also among the players looking for a new club.

He scored 21 goals in 86 appearances and helped fire the club to promotion from the Championship in 2011.

DERBY duo Craig Bryson and Paul Coutts have once again failed to make the Scotland squad, after Gordon Strachan announced his squad yesterday.

There was better news for Robinson however, who has been called up to the Jamaica squad for their friendlies against Tottenham Hotspur and the Bahamas.

Meanwhile, young defender Valentin Gjokaj has been named in the Albania under-21 squad for their forthcoming Euro 2015 qualifiers.

The centre-back will be in contention to win his fourth and possibly fifth cap against Hungary on Saturday, June 7 and Bosnia-Herzegovina on Tuesday, June 11.

Jamaica v Tottenham Hotspur???

Yes, would perhaps have preferred Jackson instead of Martin and then another forward (Vaughan, Russell, Sharp, perhaps Fryatt)

Martin is technically the far superior player - Norwich fans thought the same, I think we've made the right choice.

If we sign Jackson, then I hope he can get a few goals and CONTRIBUTE to the team as well - not one of these, i'll stand here until the ball comes to me players, it's like playing with 10 men most of the time! 

I would say Clough is THREE shy of that target.

Martin is technically the far superior player - Norwich fans thought the same, I think we've made the right choice.

If we sign Jackson, then I hope he can get a few goals and CONTRIBUTE to the team as well - not one of these, i'll stand here until the ball comes to me players, it's like playing with 10 men most of the time! 

Agreed, Martin is better technically - just not sure Martin is the right type of forward we require at the moment. In terms of budget and balance, a forward line up of Sammon, Ward, Jackson (or another quick lad) and a roll royce like Vaughan, Russell or Sharp would have been my ideal line-up...but I hope Martin proves me wrong with a good pre-season and new edge.

Agreed, Martin is better technically - just not sure Martin is the right type of forward we require at the moment. In terms of budget and balance, a forward line up of Sammon, Ward, Jackson (or another quick lad) and a roll royce like Vaughan, Russell or Sharp would have been my ideal line-up...but I hope Martin proves me wrong with a good pre-season and new edge.

I think Sammon is a busy striker - will run all day, bossing defenders with his physicality more than anything else!

Ward (if played upfront) is good around the 12 yard box.

Martin (from what i've seen) will fall deep for the ball, and plays the 'target man' role where he can take it on his head or chest - not much more movement)

they're different strikers, Martin also has been known to slam it from afar.

Ball, Bennett, Doyle and Thomas all in the backdrop. 

I think Sammon is a busy striker - will run all day, bossing defenders with his physicality more than anything else!

Martin (from what i've seen) will fall deep for the ball, and plays the 'target man' role where he can take it on his head or chest - not much more movement)

Agree with this. Also think Sammon is Robinson's replacement. I think if we had signed Sammon when we wanted to originally we wouldn't have seen Robinson in a Rams shirt at all.

I just think we could have signed a more effective and different type of forward, than what we may receive from Martin but of course, I hope i'm very wrong:)

in essence you're right, but in real terms, I'd rather have someone who does nothing, but bangs in 50% of his chances when it does come to him, than someone who works like a nutter, but fluffs 80% of his chances.

in essence you're right, but in real terms, I'd rather have someone who does nothing, but bangs in 50% of his chances when it does come to him, than someone who works like a nutter, but fluffs 80% of his chances.

Martin is pretty effective infront of goal - Jackson seems, somewhat theo esc in that it's 10 chances per goal! 

I just can't see who's going to be our starting pair (presuming we start the season with Ward, Sammon, Martin and Jackson/Vaughan).

Ward and Sammon showed promise but we wouldn't buy two new strikers on large wages.

Sammon and Martin didn't really work too well, seeing as neither of them are goalscorers.

Sammon and Vaughan might be the best bet with Ward floating around them. Either way, I can't see Sammon not starting.

I just can't see who's going to be our starting pair (presuming we start the season with Ward, Sammon, Martin and Jackson/Vaughan).

Ward and Sammon showed promise but we wouldn't buy two new strikers on large wages.

Sammon and Martin didn't really work too well, seeing as neither of them are goalscorers.

Sammon and Vaughan might be the best bet with Ward floating around them. Either way, I can't see Sammon not starting.

I can see Martin / Sammon rotating - like they did in the last few games this season.. I think rotating players is a good idea, need to keep strikers fresh!

I seriously think this seasons transfer window in the Championship will set a record for the lowest amount of money spent on transfer fees for the division ever, is already reminding me of the January sales - a load of clubs scrambling after the freebies and when they realise they've been beaten to the punch by someone else they go home empty handed. Grant apart I just hope we don't end up in this boat. 

Archived