Stadium Naming Rights

derbyram1994

Stadium naming rights - would you be happy?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a lot of other clubs do this but they are all Mickey Mouse clubs with no tradition. 'Name me 1 decent sized club with history similar to ours that has actually renamed their ground with a sponsor. (Newcastle changed theirs back by the way because the fans were in uproar.) We are selling our soul!

And I guarantee we will get someone really **** like the buymobiles.net stadium. It would be horrific and I can't believe any fan would back this. It scares me. Imagine on the radio the presenter saying 'there's been a goal at the buymobiles.net stadium'. It just would not be the same.

I know a lot of other clubs do this but they are all Mickey Mouse clubs with no tradition. 'Name me 1 decent sized club with history similar to ours that has actually renamed their ground with a sponsor. (Newcastle changed theirs back by the way because the fans were in uproar.) We are selling our soul!

And I guarantee we will get someone really **** like the buymobiles.net stadium. It would be horrific and I can't believe any fan would back this. It scares me. Imagine on the radio the presenter saying 'there's been a goal at the buymobiles.net stadium'. It just would not be the same.

Etihad Stadium, Emirates Stadium

According to Forbes.com, the owners of Manchester United (The Glazers) could sell the naming rights of Old Trafford in order to generate revenue of around $1 Billion.

Manchester United Football Club was named the most valuable sports team in the world only this year but despite this honour the club are still seriously in debt. The Red Devils have just been placed on the U.S stock market with the intention of decreasing the debt although the club will still have a huge milestone to cross if the stocks do turn out to be profitable.

Forbes.com have given an overview of the potential situation:

“Estimates by sports marketing experts place the value of a 20 year naming rights deal at around $1 billion, or $50 million a year.”

Last month Manchester United signed a seven-year shirt deal with Chevrolet worth around $559 million. If the Glazer family go ahead plans then the shirt deal as well as the naming rights will be worth $1.5 billion, which would get Manchester United out of the red.

There are no plans as yet to rename the legendary Old Trafford although the Chevrolet Arena could be a possibility if United decided on sticking with the Auto Mobile brand.

http://whatculture.com/sport/man-utd-owners-consider-renaming-old-trafford.php

Sam Rush said at the 90 forum that he good get a fee of 6 figures sum for changing stadium name but doubts he could do as well out of it finatially as a new build like say the Walkers for example. Its not worth it. Here we go Jeff Stelling. " Were off too the choclate latte stadium ".

It's easy for us to say its not worth it, we're not the owners that could profit from it. Renaming will happen whether we like it or not and for a fee we may not agree with.

Some will kick up a fuss, some may even boycott games but unless the fans stand as one against renaming the stadium they will take the free money, as a business owner they'd be silly not to.

The Chevrolet Arena is not something I would be happy seeing Old Trafford called.

And care very little about Man Utd.

I have been to the McAlpine Stadium, but never the John Smith's Stadium. However, it's the same thing...

It's not all bad news, just been reading that for UEFA and FIFA events stadiums cannot be commercially sponsored, so if we get to the Champions League we can call it Pride Park when Barca come to town for a spanking.

I'd rather the team benefited from the additional revenue. Unless the additional revenue is too small to make a significant difference.

If naming the stadium had enabled us to keep Shackell and sign Keogh, for example, then we could be sitting in the top 6 in the table right now. Who wouldn't agree to that?

If we got 700k for the naming rights a year that's 700k extra into the club. Even if it didn't go directly into the team it would reduce the temptation of owners to say we need to trim £700k from the overall budget would could impact on the playing side

it doesn't have to provide a new signing to benefit the playing side of the club

. That's not my view. I like the name Pride Park. It was also muted at the 90 forum that Pride Park could be retained with say double glazing Pride Park Stadium. That would be probably more acceptable. Or say double glazing Jim Smith Pride Park Stadium.

Mother's Pride Park.

Tell you what annoys me about it all is the fan's reaction to it.

In Germany, if a club our size had its stadium renamed after a company and the fans didn't like it, we'd all boycott the game. We'd make banners, we'd have organised silences, we'd make protest groups....

What will happen if Sam Rush sells the naming rights to the stadium against popular opinion? Well he might get a few angry letters, one fan might ask for a refund on his season ticket, but the majority of the negativity will be a few threads on this forum for about a week. It's pathetic.

If you're against it, do something about it - and do something now. If not, when it does happen, please don't complaint to us on here.

So your upset that people get upset?

Just because you don't agree about something, you are saying unless you do something about it, you are not allowed to voice your discontent. Is that how you go about everything in your life ?

I don't give a monkeys about the name, but there will be people who do, and I'm sure they have better things to do than do something about it, not everyone has the time and resources to do something about everything they don't agree with in life.

So your upset that people get upset?

Just because you don't agree about something, you are saying unless you do something about it, you are not allowed to voice your discontent. Is that how you go about everything in your life ?

I don't give a monkeys about the name, but there will be people who do, and I'm sure they have better things to do than do something about it, not everyone has the time and resources to do something about everything they don't agree with in life.

No no no, you've mistunderstood me completely, I'm just saying people are too apathetic about the things they should care about.

What I'm saying is, if you actually care about our stadium naming rights, surely you'd care enough to stage some sort of massive protest to rile the board to get them to change their decision, or boycott games?

Instead, the worst of it we'll get is a few disgruntled threads.

I'm annoyed by people being apathetic about the things they believe in - thought that was clear from my post.

Personally, I don't think I care about our stadium naming rights, but I can see why people do care, and if you do care, I can't understand why you'd sit on your *rse and do nothing about it apart from tap away at a computer screen where no one will listen to you, but that's what will happen.

I wonder how many people would have really disliked the idea of The Baseball Ground being changed to something to do with a sponsor? Quite a few I'd bet?

Could it be that some aren't fussed what it's called because they don't like Pride Park as a stadium and never have?

I wonder how many people would have really disliked the idea of The Baseball Ground being changed to something to do with a sponsor? Quite a few I'd bet?

Could it be that some aren't fussed what it's called because they don't like Pride Park as a stadium and never have?

This sums it up for me.

When I say Pride Park I don't even naturally think of the ground, I think of the whole area.

I don't think there is anything individual or special about the name that would make me angry if we changed it.

This sums it up for me.

When I say Pride Park I don't even naturally think of the ground, I think of the whole area.

I don't think there is anything individual or special about the name that would make me angry if we changed it.

Maybe as an exile I don't associate it with the area.For me,we're beginning to assemble a team to be proud of,so 'Pride Park' conjures up the name of the place where a team to be proud of plays.I'd hate it to change to something hideously commercial sounding for the sake of relative peanuts.

Archived