UEFA Pan-European Euro 2020

CumbrianRam

Football's 2020 European Championship tournament will be held in a number of cities across the continent, Uefa has announced.

It means there will be no one country hosting the tournament.

The Football Association has already put forward Wembley to European governing body Uefa as a possible venue for the final.

Uefa's executive committee took the decision at a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Thursday.

Wales, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland have also expressed their interest to Uefa in staging matches.

Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino told a press conference after the meeting: "Some important decisions have been taken.

"Uefa Euro 2020 will be staged across the continent, in various major cities, following a decision taken today. A Euro for Europe follows an initial idea by Uefa president Michel Platini.

"The response has been extremely positive from all the national associations."

He added the bidding process for the host cities would start in March and decisions would be made in the spring of 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20631963

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UEFA and FIFA are at it again. With the way the world cups go it'll be 100 years before England next hosts one, and now this. They seem to be trying to turn football into a rich man's sport. They might as well just ban talking and wearing branded clothing inside grounds and be done with it.

Logistically it's going to be a nightmare.

Where would each country play their games?

There cannot be any home bias therefore every game has to be played at a neutral venue.

As was suggested earlier, this means that teams will be playing their games in different countries meaning it's more difficult for the fans.

Oh......I forgot. Football is no longer anything to do with its fans.

Logistically it's going to be a nightmare.

Where would each country play their games?

There cannot be any home bias therefore every game has to be played at a neutral venue.

As was suggested earlier, this means that teams will be playing their games in different countries meaning it's more difficult for the fans.

Oh......I forgot. Football is no longer anything to do with its fans.

If there is to be no home advantadge, then it would make sense for england to play their games at the Millenium Stadium.

Very little travelling, and great for the fans going to the game.

If there is to be no home advantadge, then it would make sense for england to play their games at the Millenium Stadium.

Very little travelling, and great for the fans going to the game.

If I were their opponents I would take issue with that choice of venue. It has to favor England as it is so close to home.

The only fair way to sort the fixtures out would be to place the games as equidistant to each teams home country as possible.

The whole thing is a really nonsensical decision from the organisers which epitomises UEFA.

Which cities would be likely to host? London, Madrid, Berlin, Rome, Amsterdam, Lisbon, Vienna and Warsaw would be amongst those considered I reckon.

I think it's fairly manageable now they are expanding the competition to 24 teams, but I think talk of as many as 10-12 different hosts is too much. I'd select 8 cities. One city to host each group and one last 16 tie, then reduce accordingly for the remaining knockout stages.

I don't think it's much of an issue for the players or coaches, especially those from top sides who are used to long European trips in midweek. Infact they will probably be in favour of this as they will no doubt be given more rest time between each round. The politicians will also love it as it'll be a shot in the arm for local tourism.

But from a fan's perspective, yes it's probably going to be expensive and a headache to navigate. But probably no less than a World Cup in Brazil, Qatar, Russia and most recently South Africa. But if you've always fancied a little trip around Europe, then there would seem no better opportunity than 2020.

Once again UEFA continue to avoid all of the important issues in football and tinker with things that already work perfectly well.

The most ridiculous decision since allowing teams knocked out of the Champions League to then enter the Europa League. When will these idiots stop putting money at the forefront of every decision they ever make?!

I don't see much wrong with it really, I like the idea of the games going to the fans. The amount of people that actually go to all their countty's games is pretty miniscule. Didn't Spain have something like only 2,000 fans actually at the final?

I think it's a good idea.

I wonder what the proportion of fans actually go to more than one game.

I rather suspect that most people fly in, watch a game then go home. In that case what does it matter where they have to fly to in Europe?

For all the trouble it would cause me to watch a game at Wembley, I might as well get on a plane and watch one in Berlin or Madrid, for example.

Archived