Charlie Austin

Ambitious

It's another thread about a championship player - but jesus, this guy is becoming ridiculous! netted number 20 tonight... it's early november, has that ever been done before.

With such a lack of quality strikers in the England squad, he has surely got to be knocking on the door - don't know many players that can do what he is doing, especially in a mid-table side as well...

What's everyones thoughts apart from 'WHY THE **** DIDN'T WE SIGN HIM' I always had a soft spot for him, since I watched him in one of his first games for Swindon, thought he was a class act then... but his record in this division is stupid!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a beast proven at League 1 and Championship level and Premiership bound in January, 23 years old, can even build a brick wall what more do you want? can Zaha build one? Doubt it, Rodriguez went for £6m, Dyche should expect double figures from a club struggling for Premiership survival.

He's a beast proven at League 1 and Championship level and Premiership bound in January, 23 years old, can even build a brick wall what more do you want? can Zaha build one? Doubt it, Rodriguez went for £6m, Dyche should expect double figures from a club struggling for Premiership survival.

Hope he doesn't go to a team of that ilk though, this is his first fully fit season in championship football and he is getting 1+ goal a game... I'd love to see how our current England internationals would do at this level in that same team.

I'll stick my neck out, and say that Welbeck certainly wouldn't manage it!

17 goals in 14 league games. It's probably just a purple patch. I certainly wouldn't expect him to continue in such a rich vein of form over a whole season and if he does, it would then justify talk of him being worth millions and attracting Premier League interest.

He's a top striker at this level, no doubt. The kind of player who will score 15 goals at this level consistently. But I think his current form says more about the quality of the defences at this level than his actual ability.

If I was a Premier League manager, I certainly wouldn't be in any rush to shell out millions for him, that's for sure.

If I was a Premier League manager, I certainly wouldn't be in any rush to shell out millions for him, that's for sure.

Some managers aren't all that bright though really. Witness Blackburn spending 8 million on Jordan Rhodes, someone previously unproven above L1 level.

17 goals in 14 league games. It's probably just a purple patch. I certainly wouldn't expect him to continue in such a rich vein of form over a whole season and if he does, it would then justify talk of him being worth millions and attracting Premier League interest.

He's a top striker at this level, no doubt. The kind of player who will score 15 goals at this level consistently. But I think his current form says more about the quality of the defences at this level than his actual ability.

I agree. I thought despite scoring two goals against us that he was rubbish. I think that his sides position and lack of goals from other players shows that the team work for him but he doesn't work for them. This is mostly justified in his goal celebrations, the Big I Am celebrations.

You're right, Catch22. The value of a in-form striker is a curious phenomenon.

The prices paid out for strikers sometimes is staggering - £8m for Jordan Rhodes, £14m for Steven Fletcher and £6m for Jay Rodriguez and even further back £35m for Andy Carroll all spring to mind.

So I guess it's not unthinkable that Austin would go for an inflated price either.

Probably unfair to say that, he takes most of his goals very well, and had two chances against us and finished them both well. He has the same build as Grant Holt, and I didn't think he'd have scored as many goals for Norwich last season as he did. Some players either make the step up or don't. The only way to find out is if a club takes a gamble on him.

12/13 Burnley - 20 Goals and counting

11/12 Burnley - 17 Goals

10/11 Swindon - 15 Goals

09/10 Swindon - 19 Goals

Charlie Austin lucky and in a Purple patch? Not for me, he has proven himself over the last 4 seasons in League 1 and the Championship.

It's definitely a purple patch. He is in remarkable form but it is not the norm. He usually averages a goal every 2-3 games. At the moment he is averaging more than one goal per game. If that lasts until May, then I take that back.

It's not luck. As I mentioned before, he's a consistent goalscorer and proven at this level but I'd still have my reservations over signing him if I were a Premier League club. Let's face it, he'll probably going to be valued at £5m at least if not closer to £10m due to his current form and the dynamics of the transfer market.

I'm not disputing that he could very well make the step up and score goals in the Premier League. It's very plausible. I'm just saying it's a big gamble for what he'll cost.

Archived