Derby County v Blackburn Rovers

Hucknall Ram

If I'm supposed to think of Blackburn Rovers as the equivalent to an early out-of-sorts United or Arsenal side of one league up then I'm clearly having big trouble in my readjustment of expectations. 2 points from two home games is very "meh", in my pessimism I'd be surprised if we cleared more than 3 points against the Blackburn, Brighton combo now this season. Least we didn't lose is the new positive for me now.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally despair listening to members on here saying that it is a good point at home against a team who have gained 2 points from their previous 4 games, having been beaten in their 2 home games in this period, just because they are an ex-PL team......are we having to delude ourselves that much that we are making any sort of progress as a team at all, with the results Blackburn have had on the pitch and the turmoil happening off it they should have been ripe for the taking but all we manage is to scrape a 1-1 draw.

All I see on here is blah blah ex-PL team with PL players who are you kidding, the proven PL players have already left Blackburn leaving the rubbish behind but that's OK as last season we would have been beaten by an average Championship club some progress that is

I totally despair listening to members on here saying that it is a good point at home against a team who have gained 2 points from their previous 4 games, having been beaten in their 2 home games in this period, just because they are an ex-PL team......are we having to delude ourselves that much that we are making any sort of progress as a team at all, with the results Blackburn have had on the pitch and the turmoil happening off it they should have been ripe for the taking but all we manage is to scrape a 1-1 draw.

All I see on here is blah blah ex-PL team with PL players who are you kidding, the proven PL players have already left Blackburn leaving the rubbish behind but that's OK as last season we would have been beaten by an average Championship club some progress that is

The attributory tag we give to just about any team upon reflection of result be it relegated, promoted, "big spenders", established or whatever is getting boring for me. Though if spun in the right manner it does, without doubt, give greater credulence to a result and serves to highlight our own "progress". The reality is we're moving nowhere and the evidence is in the results.

The last two games the Rams have played

Have been quite bad I am afraid

In both home games they went behind

Which isn't good, not in my mind.

With only a short time to go

We equalised, but even so

As Derby fans we had the Blues

But hey,"At least we didn't lose!

The usual platitudes were heard

"Some positives" I loathe that word!

To lose at home is quite a sin, it

Should not take till the final minute...

To get in gear when you begin it

And finally score again..and WIN IT!

The last two games the Rams have played

Have been quite bad I am afraid

In both home games they went behind

Which isn't good, not in my mind.

With only a short time to go

We equalised, but even so

As Derby fans we had the Blues

But hey,"At least we didn't lose!

The usual platitudes were heard

"Some positives" I loathe that word!

To lose at home is quite a sin, it

Should not take till the final minute...

To get in gear when you begin it

And finally score again..and WIN IT!

Nice, but we didn't go behind to Brighton. Twas 0-0. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

Nice, but we didn't go behind to Brighton. Twas 0-0. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

Excuse 1

Poetic licence my lad, poetic licence!

Which is about as good an excuse as "We can take a lot of positives from this game.

Excuse 2

Ah...I was wondering how long it would be till someone noticed that!

Excuse 3

Me memories not what it was!

Excuse 4

Silly old fool, short term memories going.

Excuse 5

Any combination of Nos 1-4, probably an element of truth in all of 'em! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Fact is I got it wrong, well spotted!

Never let the facts get in the way of a bad poem!

It's all good saying that but when they actually turned up they didn't look a bad team at all. Certainly better than ours, so I don't see the problem with saying a points a good result.

The proven players might have left but they still have some of the best players in this division.

Bris says that drawing three in a row is unacceptable, yet in two of those games we score after 75 minutes. Funny that.

Am I delighted or even satisfied with three draws on the spin? Not particularly, and I was especially disappointed with the Brighton result. But to me the 2-2 at Boro was OK as a point away from home is always welcome. As for Blackburn, a look at their starting XI tells me that they are still a very decent side in this division, so a point is an OK result.

Of course I'd rather win three games than draw three games, and after every draw there is always a tinge of disappointment that we couldn't go on to get all three points. But three draws does far more for a team's confidence than a win and two defeats, and puts us in pretty good stead for two winnable games at Ipswich and Peterborough.

Similar to Brighton game really. Got a bit of a mauling in the first half, came out fighting in the second. They'll feel aggrieved they didn't win but a draw seemed fair.

Not sure why Clough persists with Hughes on the wing. He's so, so slow and has no strength - and as soon as he's in the middle things start to change, we look like a different team. He looks like he's going to be a ball retainer - Scholes, Tugay mould - and it feels like we're trying to accomodate him by sticking him out wide.

Coutts was sloppy in the first half but thought did really well in the second, him and Brayford works well on the right.

Bris says that drawing three in a row is unacceptable, yet in two of those games we score after 75 minutes. Funny that.

Am I delighted or even satisfied with three draws on the spin? Not particularly, and I was especially disappointed with the Brighton result. But to me the 2-2 at Boro was OK as a point away from home is always welcome. As for Blackburn, a look at their starting XI tells me that they are still a very decent side in this division, so a point is an OK result.

Of course I'd rather win three games than draw three games, and after every draw there is always a tinge of disappointment that we couldn't go on to get all three points. But three draws does far more for a team's confidence than a win and two defeats, and puts us in pretty good stead for two winnable games at Ipswich and Peterborough.

So now we have the ability to score past 75 mins things are all rosey?

I'm embarassed by what some people are saying on here.. Actually embarassed.. If you're happy with 3 draws in the NPC or 3 points out of 3 games then by the seasons end you'd be happy with finishing in the lower half.. We've picked up 14 points from 11 games, we're on for 56 points from 44 games.. Are you really happy about that? Being another 15 points off the playoffs?

If drawing at home to anyone higher with a bigger wage bill than us, higher in the league, spent more than us etc.. And any away draw is a good point you're basically saying that 55-60 points a season is a good season... Where the feck is your ambition.. If you're trying to say the playoffs aren't a realistic target in a league of 24 average teams we mayaswell just give up now..

What makes Ipswich/Peterborough away any more winnable than Blackburn at home? When Blackburn failed to win at Ipswich?

Hughes in the middle

Strikers to come to the ball

We need Ward

Legzdins over Fielding (it's only fair)

Strikers to come to the ball

Better set pieces

Keogh is better than most defenders I've seen in a while. Including Shackell.

Jacobs must be pushing for a place

Strikers to show for the ball.

Yesterday, although I thought we did ok is the reason I hate 442.

In the first half it was like a 44------2.

Defence----midfield--------- Blackburn's whole team----Strikers

Asking Bryson to pass the ball through Dunn and around Givet is a bit much. And pointless when you're offside anyway.

I don't know why we try to pass it 25yards and then wonder why it's intercepted. Close the distances ffs. Hughes and Bryson don't want to pass 30yards. Good lads. Play the percentages.

In fact, what pisses me off is while I'm going on about distances...

If you string a few close knit passes together it's not "Barcelona style". It's friggin football. Nobody plays like Barca. Not Swansea. Not Arsenal. Nobody can. I hate it. Football is supposed to be played on the floor. It's what God (Brian) intended.

Barca are the best at it. They do it on the edge of your box and wait for a gap that only the best players could hope to exploit.

Swansea play possession football. It's not the same tempo, it's not the same areas, it's not the same at all.

Asking Derby to play football isn't being a spoiled fan asking for Barca style play.

I heard some **** on BBC claim Chelsea are playing in a Barcelona way. Are they? No!

Barca didn't create football on the floor!

Tantrum over. Dunno where it came from but I feel better

Brighton are a decent team and so are Blackburn, both of those clubs are going to be up there at the end of the season so a point is a decent result. We could've won both of them but for not taking chances when presented or some woeful finishing.

Says alot about the reaction, I think. You're expecting much more from these players this season than you were from those players last season.

Sometimes I'm not sure some of you have perspective. Are you talking about the team we have or the team you wish we had?

We can argue about good point or loss of 2 points etc,but for me the most interesting/alarming stat is the shots on target, 75% of theirs were, and were, and less than 33% of ours were..

Brighton are a decent team and so are Blackburn, both of those clubs are going to be up there at the end of the season so a point is a decent result. We could've won both of them but for not taking chances when presented or some woeful finishing.

Says alot about the reaction, I think. You're expecting much more from these players this season than you were from those players last season.

Sometimes I'm not sure some of you have perspective. Are you talking about the team we have or the team you wish we had?

......and that my friends will determine our season, as i agree both Brighton and Blackburn will finnish above us this season,and the reason is obvious.........

Nige, get a proper finisher.... or two 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

one along side Fishy,and make something out of all his graft (Le fondre ? or similar, price is obviously an issue)

one behind the strikers, like Idiakez, as if...... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wub:' />

A good point, and unbeaten for another game. Sammon was poor, O'Connor not much better.

Legzdins, Jacobs, Keogh, Buxton and Brayford all good. We're very toothless upfront. Sammon seems to hold onto the ball a bit too long, when we're attacking in numbers

So now we have the ability to score past 75 mins things are all rosey?

I'm embarassed by what some people are saying on here.. Actually embarassed.. If you're happy with 3 draws in the NPC or 3 points out of 3 games then by the seasons end you'd be happy with finishing in the lower half.. We've picked up 14 points from 11 games, we're on for 56 points from 44 games.. Are you really happy about that? Being another 15 points off the playoffs?

If drawing at home to anyone higher with a bigger wage bill than us, higher in the league, spent more than us etc.. And any away draw is a good point you're basically saying that 55-60 points a season is a good season... Where the feck is your ambition.. If you're trying to say the playoffs aren't a realistic target in a league of 24 average teams we mayaswell just give up now..

What makes Ipswich/Peterborough away any more winnable than Blackburn at home? When Blackburn failed to win at Ipswich?

Cos neither Ipswich and Peterborough have won at home yet this season. And Blackburn have yet to lose an away match. Of course I'm not stupid enough to have these eventualities set in stone, but most predictions are based on form, and the suggestion that these two games are winnable is no different.

And did I say that I was happy with drawing games all the time? No I didn't, but once in a while a draw is an alright result. Don't twist my words.

What have you got to be embarrassed about? Other people have contrary opinions to you? If that embarasses you then that's your problem for not respecting other people's views.

Seemingly being content to be a championship side in 13/14 seems directionless to me - a big slap of ambition and determination needed.

We have a good team here, for my money anyway - mising 2 or 3 faces but on the whole a growing young side with bags of potential and we need to start expecting more from them. 3 points from 3 games from a team supposedly trying to get promoted isn't good enough and we haven't done enough to help ourselves against Brighton we looked sluggish, after the break we sound sluggish again...

First things first, we need to be more physically fit - then go from there.

Archived