Derby County v Charlton

Boycie

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we read newspapers that support our opinions/preconceptions - not ones that challenge.

(like you said - you weren't there - and rarely comment on games you don't go to.)

I read views that i trust to give an unbalanced opinion on what happened, couldnt give a f*ck about challenging or supporting anything.

I think it's obvious that leaving Roberts and Coutts out was a mistake. But i stand by what I said last night. I though Hendrick was poor and O'Connor got subbed because he was poor so there's no arguing that.

Agree with you on Hendrick.

Any clown who gave hendrick a better ratings than Bryson, hughes or coutts was clearly watching a different game.

The rest of the team carried him.

O'Connor, well we looked shaky, and most chances they had when oconnor was on the field was due to him being out of position.

Thought Clough showed his balls when he brought jake on, and didnt bring off a midfielder!

Agree with you on Hendrick.

Any clown who gave hendrick a better ratings than Bryson, hughes or coutts was clearly watching a different game.

The rest of the team carried him.

O'Connor, well we looked shaky, and most chances they had when oconnor was on the field was due to him being out of position.

Thought Clough showed his balls when he brought jake on, and didnt bring off a midfielder!

Spot on mate, if Hughes had occupied Hendricks position I think it may have been an easier game for us but that's with hindsight...

As for watching the games, I sit fairly close to the dug out and I'm sure the people around me are watching an entirely different game, some just watch the ball and not players positions/positionings, agree O'Connor out of position and Roberts too

Not a fan of Jake but have to say he's played well in the games he's played this season, and he's scored a few too, I'm being converted, well done Bucko

Which defence played against Scunny !

Brayford, Buxton, Keogh and Roberts.

We went to pieces after Roberts went off and Naylor came on.

I don't blame Naylor at all - Scunny doubled up on that side and he should have got more help from Jacobs who left him completely exposed.

I also seem to remember a couple of very good long shots going in against us in that game.

We didn't sit back in that one either - Bennett had 4 or 5 really good chances in extra time.

Brayford, Buxton, Keogh and Roberts.

We went to pieces after Roberts went off and Naylor came on.

I don't blame Naylor at all - Scunny doubled up on that side and he should have got more help from Jacobs who left him completely exposed.

I also seem to remember a couple of very good long shots going in against us in that game.

We didn't sit back in that one either - Bennett had 4 or 5 really good chances in extra time.

Good point about goals we've conceded.

Two vs Scunny were exceptional strikes.

One vs Wendy was one of most powerful shots i've seen, straight in the top corner.

Charlton's first goal was a goal of the season contender as well.

Have we been unlucky or will the players who scored those goals continue to score similar through the season?

Any statto's prepared to have a look, cos I really can't be bothered!

Im only going on what i've read on the message boards, but i read that last night and against Wednesday we began to sit back and let the opposition back into the game once we had a comfortable lead. If that's not right then i apologise, but Clough has always looked to defend leads late on in games and has paid the price at times. If tonight was a one off i wouldnt care, but it's the third time already this season, i know we won the game, but without efforts being cleared off the line it could have been a different story.

We didn't sit back as such, but we were certainly forced back. Charlton were all full pressing set-up and we were looking absolutely nackered - don't understand why we didn't take Coutts off.

But there weren't any negative subsitutions - in fact, Sammon was looking more tired than anyone and was offering no attacking threat at all, then he brought on Theo.

When Theo came on we actually looked a little more comfortable again, the only time an equaliser really looked like it was going to come was just after their second goal.

Re Hendrick, the jury's still out for me. I didn't go to the Charlton game and can appreciate players who go unnoticed/ do all the hard work/ unsung heroes etc but I don't see what the all hype is about. He's comfortable on the ball but doesn't have any outstanding attributes. I suppose he doesn't have many flaws either but the reason Bryson does so much running could be to compensate for Jeff, just a thought.

i think bryson does more running when hendrick's playing well.

To be fair he would probably run around regardless of who he's alongside, that said I'd like to see more competition for places in centre mid. Hendrick or Bryson could have a stinker/ get injured and we wouldn't have a suitable replacement

Hendrick has cemented his starting place with little to no competition and it's probably going to stay that way no matter what. Clough talks about Bryson and Hendrick like Petit and Vieira (slight exaggeration) but what do they really offer as a partnership? I'm not a Bailey fan by the way, I just don't see how Clough has gone from John Eustace as his no.1 target to this.

i think some people (me included) forget that hendrick is only 20 and had played virtually no league football before last season.

bearing that in mind - his development is nothing short of remarkable. yes he's had dips in form and some shocking games and made some poor choices within games. i reckon he's a few really hard challenges away from being a really, really good player.

(i agree with iram that we need another CM - perhaps hughes and coutts will have to do a job ther if needed)

as for bryson...

I appreciate Hendrick is still learning and wont be the 'finished' article for another 3-4 years. Maybe I'm being harsh on him but he just doesn't fill me with confidence. At the moment he's a tidy player, who plays it simple.

He needs to add other attributes to his game and keep improving at the same time. If he can become more tenacious in his tackling we'd have a good player on our hands. It's a big if though, if he's a tackler he'd already be one by now, surely? Players generally don't change their style of play and from what I've seen, Hendrick can be a luxury player.

Archived