Southampton

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunderland finished on 15 points and failed to win a home game all season.. Theres no excuses for our season, we were absoloutely shocking.. But given the squad and money that McCarthy spunked at Sunderland and given that they won the league instead of sneaking luckily through the playoffs, their 15 points is equally as shocking as our 11..

That record will stay with us forever.. It makes me laugh. What also makes me laugh is the dopey Forest fans that keep calling us the worst team ever.. Totally disregarding records from outside of England and outsid of the top flight.. I think losng to Yeovil 2-5 after being 2-0 up on aggregate is far more embarassing than watching a NPC side being tonked by the best players in the world at that time..

Bris, is it possible to disagree without being condescending? "makes me laugh", not really very respectful, is it?

I forgot the 15 point season for Sunderland, I was referring to the 19 point one. Still, in any instance, their season returned over a third of our record season.

Bris, I really do doubt those records will - or indeed can - be beaten. I just simply do not see another team going a year without a league win without going bust or changing management, unlike us.

Just because we were playing the world's best players does NOT excuse that season at all. Realistically, we were probably not going to stay up but you said yourself - we were one of the worst teams to ever come up. We weren't just getting tonked by the big teams - infact, we didn't look so bad against them. We were getting obliterated at home by the West Ham reserve team.

We came down, improved the squad vastly with the likes of Hulse, Commons, Green and Davies and still we were one of the worst teams in the division below and couldn't buy ourselves a proper win against lower-league sides until we beat Brighton.

English football is 124 years old, and we comfortably beat many of the previous "worst ever..." records in numerous categories. In all divisions. Some records are stil held by AFC Loughbrough, a now defunct team who played in the second division before WWII. I think there is one Doncaster side who actually lost more games in the 80s, but they also had more fixtures and won more games so probably still weren't as bad compared to their opposittion. So, surely, it is not laughable to suggest that this may never be broken. You could disagree and say it eventually would be broken - but to call it laughable shows and inability to disagree with any grace.

We're sitll recovering from what happened in that season. Sunderland were bad with some good players but we were woeful with pretty much an entire side of bad players who were paid a lot and didn't look like they wanted to play football. Unforgiveable from the players we had and the managers who signed them.

How can one game against Yeovil possibly equal that? The 354 days without a win? Losing 5-0 to a reserve team? We can even better the Yeovil game with losing to a non-League side and being second best.

Bris, is it possible to disagree without being condescending? "makes me laugh", not really very respectful, is it?

I forgot the 15 point season for Sunderland, I was referring to the 19 point one. Still, in any instance, their season returned over a third of our record season.

Bris, I really do doubt those records will - or indeed can - be beaten. I just simply do not see another team going a year without a league win without going bust or changing management, unlike us.

Just because we were playing the world's best players does NOT excuse that season at all. Realistically, we were probably not going to stay up but you said yourself - we were one of the worst teams to ever come up. We weren't just getting tonked by the big teams - infact, we didn't look so bad against them. We were getting obliterated at home by the West Ham reserve team.

We came down, improved the squad vastly with the likes of Hulse, Commons, Green and Davies and still we were one of the worst teams in the division below and couldn't buy ourselves a proper win against lower-league sides until we beat Brighton.

English football is 124 years old, and we comfortably beat many of the previous "worst ever..." records in numerous categories. In all divisions. Some records are stil held by AFC Loughbrough, a now defunct team who played in the second division before WWII. I think there is one Doncaster side who actually lost more games in the 80s, but they also had more fixtures and won more games so probably still weren't as bad compared to their opposittion. So, surely, it is not laughable to suggest that this may never be broken. You could disagree and say it eventually would be broken - but to call it laughable shows and inability to disagree with any grace.

We're sitll recovering from what happened in that season. Sunderland were bad with some good players but we were woeful with pretty much an entire side of bad players who were paid a lot and didn't look like they wanted to play football. Unforgiveable from the players we had and the managers who signed them.

How can one game against Yeovil possibly equal that? The 354 days without a win? Losing 5-0 to a reserve team? We can even better the Yeovil game with losing to a non-League side and being second best.

First of all, I wasn't laughing at anyones opinion nor another poster here.. What makes me laugh is when Forest fans call us the worst team ever, and that the record will stay with us forever.. It does make me laugh.. How is that condescending or disagreeing with another poster, has anyone said that record will be beaten?

I was actually out of the country for the whole of that season, and didn't have to endure the taunts from rival fans, but I remember many games in which we were unlucky not to get something from the game which also contributed to our downfall.. When you have a sh8t team and no luck, you're on for a stinker of a season.. The following games I've marked as 'unlucky'

Fulham 0-0 Derby (playing against 10 men for the second half we could easily have won)

Bolton 1-0 Derby (last minute winner)

Derby 1-2 Liverpool (last minute winner)

Sunderland 1-0 Derby (last minute winner)

Derby 1-2 Blackburn (1-0 and missed a penalty for 2-0 game turned on it's head in a matter of 5 minutes)

Man City 1-0 Derby (second game of the season, at 0-0 Pearson was clearly pushed in the back when through on goal would have had a penalty and City down to 10 men)

Newcastle 2-2 Derby (Mark Vidukas lucky goal)

No excuses, we were sh8t.. But we had literally no luck throughout the season especially over the Xmas period when we could have easily claimed another 5 points or so.. Those results above were all affected by little moments where on the day the opposition were as terrible as us but claimed the points through sheer luck..

When you take into account the money that promotion teams spend, plus how weak some teams have gotten I'd fancy this Derby team to get more than 15 points in the PL with our current squad..

Now, I'd call a former European champion being 2-0 up from the away leg and playing at home to a team who previously spent the majority of their time in the conference and losing 2-5 a hell of a lot more embarassing than watching PL stars obliterate your team 3 times a month...

Wow, some people dislike bris that much that there happy to take the piss out of derby to make forest sound better than us and he gets accused of being negative, must admit bris of the past annoyed me a little as he sometimes was negative and stuck to his guns when he was found wrong but since his ban he's been alot better and a bit more positive but it seems some people want to go through his post with a fine comb and pick little peices out of his posts to make him look like he's arguing or picking fault with other members when he probably isnt

First of all, I wasn't laughing at anyones opinion nor another poster here.. What makes me laugh is when Forest fans call us the worst team ever, and that the record will stay with us forever.. It does make me laugh.. How is that condescending or disagreeing with another poster, has anyone said that record will be beaten?

I was actually out of the country for the whole of that season, and didn't have to endure the taunts from rival fans, but I remember many games in which we were unlucky not to get something from the game which also contributed to our downfall.. When you have a sh8t team and no luck, you're on for a stinker of a season.. The following games I've marked as 'unlucky'

Fulham 0-0 Derby (playing against 10 men for the second half we could easily have won)

Bolton 1-0 Derby (last minute winner)

Derby 1-2 Liverpool (last minute winner)

Sunderland 1-0 Derby (last minute winner)

Derby 1-2 Blackburn (1-0 and missed a penalty for 2-0 game turned on it's head in a matter of 5 minutes)

Man City 1-0 Derby (second game of the season, at 0-0 Pearson was clearly pushed in the back when through on goal would have had a penalty and City down to 10 men)

Newcastle 2-2 Derby (Mark Vidukas lucky goal)

No excuses, we were sh8t.. But we had literally no luck throughout the season especially over the Xmas period when we could have easily claimed another 5 points or so.. Those results above were all affected by little moments where on the day the opposition were as terrible as us but claimed the points through sheer luck..

When you take into account the money that promotion teams spend, plus how weak some teams have gotten I'd fancy this Derby team to get more than 15 points in the PL with our current squad..

Now, I'd call a former European champion being 2-0 up from the away leg and playing at home to a team who previously spent the majority of their time in the conference and losing 2-5 a hell of a lot more embarassing than watching PL stars obliterate your team 3 times a month...

My mistake, sorry! I said I didn't think our records would be broken so thought you were laughing at that. I've put my handbag away now and put my mascara back on.

I don't think history matters on the day, Nottingham Forest were a League One side in the playoffs, and so were Yeovil. When we were in the Premier League, we should have at least looked Championship quality but we still didn't. Our games over that Christmas period summed up the season for me. They were supposed to be our good matches but all I remember from them were dire Derby performances where we barely troubled their goal, and only complacency from the opposition made them play poorly. That season still hurts us so badly. Even now, we're clutching at straws. Any bad or good season for any club and you could pick as many "should have" and "could have" moments and matches.

For the individual, it's all down to opinion I guess. I laughed at the Yeovil game. It was hilarious. Probably a low point for Forest. But for me, our season is the absolute low point for us. I know things will only get better.

I'm a geek, and I look at English footballing records on websites and read them in books. Derby's name is printed so many times for the wrong reasons.

The history books just don't remember Yeovil against Forest, only we do. The rest of English football will always associate Derby with that season.

Wow, some people dislike bris that much that there happy to take the piss out of derby to make forest sound better than us and he gets accused of being negative, must admit bris of the past annoyed me a little as he sometimes was negative and stuck to his guns when he was found wrong but since his ban he's been alot better and a bit more positive but it seems some people want to go through his post with a fine comb and pick little peices out of his posts to make him look like he's arguing or picking fault with other members when he probably isnt

If this is directed at me, I don't dislike Bris. The whole point of forums is that you debate things and for that to happen you need different people with different opinions and different posting styles. This place is weaker without Bris Vegas in my opinion. The opinion I, you and Bris are entitled to.

It is my honest opinion - the opinion I am allowed to have - that our Premier League seaosn was the most embarassing thing to happen to us. There's no shame in saying so. Everyone remembers that season - so why pretend that one game for Forest which no one else remembers is more embarassing, especially when they can come back and remind us about the Crawley game?

I'm the negative one here but I'm not afraid to admit it. It is my opinion that there is nothing positive to say about 2007/08. Am I allowed to disagree with someone who has a different opinion, be that Bris Vegas, my dad or the pope?

I'm the negative one here but I'm not afraid to admit it. It is my opinion that there is nothing positive to say about 2007/08. Am I allowed to disagree with someone who has a different opinion, be that Bris Vegas, my dad or the pope?

All I'm going to say is us.

The fans stook with that team all year, our attendences show that, and we stook with them even now we've gone down and are just a pile of steaming mediocrity.

That, IMO, is a positive.

• 3 months later...

Archived