Southampton

Did anyone hear 606 last night?

A guy rang up saying Adkins should be sacked after losing their first 4 matches (despite them playing Man City, Man United and Arsenal) because he was not experienced enough or up to the job.

Savage then pointed out that Southampton were the 7th highest spenders in Europe in the last transfer window.

Will Adkins turn it round with his new signings? Is he good enough to manage at this level? Can Southampton beat our record lowest points?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our lowest points total will simply never be beaten. No team has come close since. That monkey will sadly be an embracing part of our history.

As for Southampton, they were unlucky to lose against Man City and gave a good account of themselves against Man Utd. They had the right man when they walked promotion so why should that suddenly change now they're in the Premier League.

On top of that, they have some really good young players; one of whom just earned an England call up.

Yes, they will no doubt struggle but to judge them after a ridiculously difficult first set of fixtures is just plain daft.

The man was an idiot. He basically said every manager in the premier league, needs premier league experience. Without explaining how those managers gained that experience. He's completely written Adkins off even though the guy won them back to back promotions. That said, 606 last night was a joke. Most of the people that rang in were only chosen because they were crazy.

No-one will ever go up with such a poor side as us... And no-one will ever buy the amount the sort of 'quality' that we bought.. Bad quality. We only had 2 genuine PL quality players (David Jones who was rarely played and a fit Barnes who simply was never fit), the rest were average NPC or below.. Not to mention we had 2 poor poor managers at that level.. PJ should have done far better in January and at least claimed another 5 points with the amount he spent and made sure we didn't beat the previous record of 15 by Sunderland.

But the last point is that PL was easily the most difficult in time.. The top teams all had quality players, the other teams that went down Birmingham and Reading were both good enough to stay up in any other PL season, especially Reading they were probably the best team to go down in PL history.. Relegation teams like Blackburn, Pompey, Villa, Boro were all decent during that season, and the more established sides like Fulham, Spurs, Newcastle finsihed in the bottom half showing how tough it was..

That was a one off season and it was done with a squad that would struggle to stay up in the NPC done with 2 managements teams totally out of their depth.. It's the same as putting P'Boro now in the PL, they'd get slaughtered..

Southampton now have a squad and management team far better than we had and in their first 3 games they looked like a PL side.. They'll be alright, I'd expect them to get at least 35 points.

Don't worry, football will finish before anyone threatens our numerous records.

The records we smashed began two decades before the death of Queen Victoria, and has been going long enough to say it saw two world wars, saw the rise and fall of communism, the miners' strikes, the invention of flight and the man on the moon.

In that time period, no other team comes remotely close to being as bad as the 2007/08 Derby team.

How anyone can possibly dress up any aspect of that season at all amazes me. I would honestly put money on that side struggling to finish in any division of the football league.

We didn't break records. We completely destroyed them. Sunderland's next worst points tally is almost twice as good as our one. Their "bad" season is nowhere near comparable to ours.

Don't worry, football will finish before anyone threatens our numerous records.

The records we smashed began two decades before the death of Queen Victoria, and has been going long enough to say it saw two world wars, saw the rise and fall of communism, the miners' strikes, the invention of flight and the man on the moon.

In that time period, no other team comes remotely close to being as bad as the 2007/08 Derby team.

How anyone can possibly dress up any aspect of that season at all amazes me. I would honestly put money on that side struggling to finish in any division of the football league.

We didn't break records. We completely destroyed them. Sunderland's next worst points tally is almost twice as good as our one. Their "bad" season is nowhere near comparable to ours.

Sunderland finished on 15 points and failed to win a home game all season.. Theres no excuses for our season, we were absoloutely shocking.. But given the squad and money that McCarthy spunked at Sunderland and given that they won the league instead of sneaking luckily through the playoffs, their 15 points is equally as shocking as our 11..

That record will stay with us forever.. It makes me laugh. What also makes me laugh is the dopey Forest fans that keep calling us the worst team ever.. Totally disregarding records from outside of England and outsid of the top flight.. I think losng to Yeovil 2-5 after being 2-0 up on aggregate is far more embarassing than watching a NPC side being tonked by the best players in the world at that time..

Although we had some thumpings when getting 11 pts, we had a few odd goal defeats when we deseved something from games, rememer the flucking ball coming off Gerrards knee etc......

I still think we deseved around 18/ 20pts, but we got 11 and thats it.

Oops just realised I am talking like a blind whatsit 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' />

Archived