Is clement up to the job

harwich ram

This is one of those topics where you wake up in the morning, takes you a few minutes to realise where you are, what your name is and think well that must have been a good night.

After struggling to get breakfast down you, log online, check emails, look on DCFC Fans.....what the ****, I didn't post that....did I? When? FFS.

You then start to give yourself a bollocking for using your phone whilst drunk and frantically search your texts making sure you haven't sent anything to an ex.

We've all been there, well I have. Only last weekend I managed to create an event on Facebook, inviting everyone including my mum, girlfriend and women I still have on my friends list that I went on dates with.

I have complete sympathy for you @harwich ram don't worry about it.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a difference between something being your target and something being expected. A huge difference. You go into all competition with the aim to win, but unless you are far and away the best competitor you are not expected to.

Try telling that to MM, when he sacks the best coach we had since the bald eagle, installs an unknown, brings in quality experienced players, breaks our record transfer fee......expectations must certainly there is.

Try telling that to MM, when he sacks the best coach we had since the bald eagle, installs an unknown, brings in quality experienced players, breaks our record transfer fee......

I really am shocked super rams. I didn't take you for someone who would react like this, you always seemed so thoughtful. Never one to jump to a conclusion. My world has been rocked.

I'm not going to argue with you, I've proven many times in the past there is little point. 

We'll see, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Not at the end of this season, but whenever Paul Clement moves on. If he is sacked halfway through this season then the management made a mistake and varying levels of anger will ripple throughout the fans. If he gets approached by a bigger team after a few years of success and with Derby in the premier league then the management didn't make a mistake. 

This is one of those topics where you wake up in the morning, takes you a few minutes to realise where you are, what your name is and think well that must have been a good night.

After struggling to get breakfast down you, log online, check emails, look on DCFC Fans.....what the ****, I didn't post that....did I? When? FFS.

You then start to give yourself a bollocking for using your phone whilst drunk and frantically search your texts making sure you haven't sent anything to an ex.

You just described my every morning.

Sacking is a bit extreme, but it's only perfectly fair to ponder the question.

Fantastic history as a coach, yes, but nothing as the main man. So whilst it could mean he can make the step, he may also not be able to. So for this reason, he does need time, but are we a team in a position to be able to give him time? And as I stated, people are perfectly within their right to ask the question when nothing so far has given the impression he knows what he's doing - tactics wrong in 2 games from 2 being the main concern.

So yes, we need to give him another couple of months before forming a full opinion, but these questions can still be asked.

Somebody on fb wants him sacked.

Jeeeeez. 

He really should step away from the razor blade.

Just imagine, some of these people might actually be someones boss. :mellow:

Considering what happened with SM last 16 games in charge, it is reasonable to give PC at least 16 games before we judge. I can tell you this, his record for his first 16 games will be far better than our last 16 with SM. That was 19 points in 16 games and we conceded 28. 

Anybody who thought he was gonna take to being a head coach at a new club like a duck to water, and have everything tickity-boo within 3 months wants to flag down a cab and head to Real Street.  There was no way this was going to be plain sailing.  Schteve was able to come in and hit the ground running because he has experience in doing so and he probably kept tabs on us with us being a former club of his.  PC hasn't got that yet and if you're fighting for the La Liga & the Champions League with the biggest club in the world why would you bother with the inner workings of little ol' Derby County...  It's going to take time for him to properly access everyone's characters and abilities and he's going to make mistakes.  Providing he learns from those mistakes, things should improve.

IMHO anybody wanting him sacked already is an utter c()ck and has only just jumped on the bandwagon...

TobyWanKenobi

Expected by the naive, maybe.

LOL at that. If you think that promotion is not expected by the owners after their summer outlay, you re kidding yourself.

TobyWanKenobi

That's a very simplistic argument; those who spend the most must therefore get promoted. By that reasoning Clement must also be the best coach/manager in the league as he's getting the most amount of salary

I'd be very surprised if a first time manager, who was a gamble has been made the best paid manager in the league.

It's not a simplistic argument to say lack of promotion will mean he wont keep his job.

LOL at that. If you think that promotion is not expected by the owners after their summer outlay, you re kidding yourself.

I'm sure it is expected, by the end of next season. Getting promoted this season would be a bonus, but Paul Clement wont be sacked over a failure to do so.

If we're particularly dire he might be sacked, languishing mid-table come February.

TobyWanKenobi

I'm sure it is expected, by the end of next season. Getting promoted this season would be a bonus, but Paul Clement wont be sacked over a failure to do so.

If we're particularly dire he might be sacked, languishing mid-table come February.

The end of NEXT season? You're mad.

Unless we end up in the bottom three for a spell, or Clement is guilty of some sort of misconduct in the club (neither really likely), I wouldn't sack him at all this year. If we had a bad first 10 games in a Championship season next year, then the question must be asked in the boardroom. Now, there's just no need this year. Got to be patient. What's the rush to go up for anyway? The Premier League is ****, they'll move all our fixtures on short notice, we're going to be delirious with a 0-0 draw away to some teams. You watch your team get crucified every week by all the pundits so that it makes the big boys look good.

Really isn't all it's cracked up to be. I don't mind waiting thanks. I'm just hoping to see good football over the course of the season and hopefully to see my team win more than they lose or draw. At least more wins than losses anyway, more than losses and draws combined would be nice!

Considering what happened with SM last 16 games in charge, it is reasonable to give PC at least 16 games before we judge. I can tell you this, his record for his first 16 games will be far better than our last 16 with SM. That was 19 points in 16 games and we conceded 28. 

Typically misleading garbage. The previous 18months  MacClaren had done very well for us. On performance grounds there was no justification for sacking him after 16 games, especially given our injury problems which you conveniently forget. Clement will do very well to reach MacClarens win rate which was exceptional.

We've appointed someone who will say YES to the board cos that is preferable to experience. 

Sacking is a bit extreme, but it's only perfectly fair to ponder the question.

Fantastic history as a coach, yes, but nothing as the main man. So whilst it could mean he can make the step, he may also not be able to. So for this reason, he does need time, but are we a team in a position to be able to give him time? And as I stated, people are perfectly within their right to ask the question when nothing so far has given the impression he knows what he's doing - tactics wrong in 2 games from 2 being the main concern.

So yes, we need to give him another couple of months before forming a full opinion, but these questions can still be asked.

Why ask questions now if we need to give him another couple of months before forming an opinion?

Wouldn't that make the answers now knee jerk due to the severe emotional distress caused by our Capital One Cup exit?

Archived