Is Steve Mac positioning himself for the Newcastle job?

Orphanram

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry, but i don't accept for one second that fans who moan are out of order. Fair enough, those who moan when we are 2-0 up etc or those that shout personal abuse towards a player, then fine. But i'll be damned if i'm going to be told by a manager, player etc that i shouldn't moan at my team if they are playing ****, or systematically throwing a season away, bottling it etc. If i turned up to work and put in a crap shift, would i be moaned at? absolutely! not to mention probably being turfed out on my backside as well! Footballers and managers know the score, you are in the spotlight, being watched by thousands of people scrutinizing your every move, of course somebody is going to bloody moan! 

Most Footballers are paid in a week what most people earn in a year! get a bloody grip, dry your eyes and get on with your job, trying to win football matches! do that, and miraculously, the moaning will stop! 

Mac hasn't helped himself one bit with the Newcastle speculation, he knows the score, the rumors, the doubt in supporters minds. this, encompassed with the fact that we have won 2 games in 11 matches! and fans will put 2+2 together, sure, they may get five sometimes but again, he needs to help us to help himself. Either say you are going, or you're staying, simple as that! 

to start blaming supporters, the board etc is the easy way out, maybe he should look a little closer to home! 

Sounds to me like you have a problem with footballers in general, they get paid to do a job, whether you feel this is excessive or not shouldn't be a factor in judging their performance.

Do you work in an environment where the competition is standing next to you, taking away your tools of your trade, and making you look bad because they are better than you? I doubt it, but if so, would you still feel it's justified for someone to moan at you, which at the end of the day is part of the job you do?

He has said numerous times he has a job to do and is carrying that out, if your manager was rumoured  to leave, are you saying that your performance would take a downturn as the result of this, or you'd be more focused on that nice big bonus and playing in one of the best leagues in the world to care ? Managers come and go, that's not the reason we aren't sitting in the top 2 now.

Sounds to me like you have a problem with footballers in general, they get paid to do a job, whether you feel this is excessive or not shouldn't be a factor in judging their performance.

Do you work in an environment where the competition is standing next to you, taking away your tools of your trade, and making you look bad because they are better than you? I doubt it, but if so, would you still feel it's justified for someone to moan at you, which at the end of the day is part of the job you do?

He has said numerous times he has a job to do and is carrying that out, if your manager was rumoured  to leave, are you saying that your performance would take a downturn as the result of this, or you'd be more focused on that nice big bonus and playing in one of the best leagues in the world to care ? Managers come and go, that's not the reason we aren't sitting in the top 2 now.

​I don't have a problem with footballers in general, not at all. They don't choose what they get payed, and hey, hats off to them, we'd all kill for their wages! What irks me is seemingly snide comments from Maclaren suggesting they are playing c**p because we are moaning as fans. This is football,fans have been moaning from the clubs set up, till the present day, and will continue to do well into the future as will every fan of every other club in the world! If the players cant handle disgruntled fans, they will be in for very short, restricted careers! 

Firstly, I think you're reading way too much into this. He has said the players and staff are sticking together. The fact that he didn't say the fans are doesn't mean he thinks we aren't. Same. With the owners. 

Secondly, are Derby fans really a unique breed? I doubt it. I suspect you'd get a similar reaction to a disappointing run of form from pretty much any other club. 

​So you have never moaned in a game? ever? did you not moan when Christie, not once, but twice! gave the ball away for Watfords opener the other week? 

Show me a football fan who has never moaned at a game, and i'll show you a liar, all part and parcel of football 

​I've let out audible groans when shots have been gone close etc, but I've never leaned over a barrier to call a Derby player a "useless sausaging sausage" just because he earns more than me. I accept that players make errors. I've seen the best players in the world make basic errors. I've seen Ronaldo and Messi pass straight to the opposition, so I know that Derby players will do the same and worse, I've prepared myself mentally for what will realistically happen in a football match.

What McClaren is upset about, and I knew this in January when I made the fans hounding McClaren out thread, is that when the team was playing well and winning, players were still being abused and fans were saying things were rubbish.

I have never moaned at Christie, because I know he's still pretty high up on the list of RBs we have had in the last 15 years! As for the Watford goal, I put that down as much to Keogh, facing the right way, not stepping forward and putting his foot through it as much as I blame Christie for having to run around the ball to kick it the opposite way he was facing.

I agree with Mac 100%. 

***** support at home. How many other sides in the top 8 have been booed off, booed players, abused a player so much that he reacts. Even Bryson has had a pop back. 

THEYRE DOING THEIR BEST YOU ******!!

"I pay my money"

Right, i hope i get to sit next to you in a cinema. I hope there are subtitles for the film.

Cyrus Christie. Do you think he doesnt want promotion? That he doesnt care because he gets paid anyway? Lol. Stop watching Footballers Wives. Lets think how he might play on Saturday? Then lets think how he might play if there was a huge cheer for him. People right behind him. Bit of a song going for him? Do you think its possible he might play better because he'll feel a buzz. 

Its an absolute joke that people think footballers dont want success. Why are they out there and youre driving a fork truck? 

"They get paid..." So? Thats the going rate. So if they dont want abuse from their own fans they should refuse thousands of pounds per week to put their kids in the best universities? To secure the best healthcare and wealth for them and all their families? 

They accept a level of criticism. They accept abuse from opposing fans trying to disrupt them. But they can draw on the support of their teammates and supporters etc. Why should they take abuse off fans theyre representing? Because theyre losing to another professional team? Sorry, thats not acceptable at Derby County. We dont do losing. 

"I pay my money". Does that apply to everything then? I bought a ticket for this train seat so i'll behave like a cnut. I bought this car and i pay my road tax so i'll drive it however i like? 

"The fans ARE the club". Great. Lets play instead of the players. Who wants Sam Rush's job? 

Drop out your own arses. 

Firstly, I think you're reading way too much into this. He has said the players and staff are sticking together. The fact that he didn't say the fans are doesn't mean he thinks we aren't. Same. With the owners.

Secondly, are Derby fans really a unique breed? I doubt it. I suspect you'd get a similar reaction to a disappointing run of form from pretty much any other club.

​I think we're probably by far the worst if you compare us to Ipswich, Wolves and Brentford who are in similar situations to us and have had more success over the last 10 years than we have so their expectations should be higher than our own.

Sorry for the blank post above, this site drives me nuts.

In relation to @Alpha Signia post I agree with all of this, but I'd try to introduce some context into the debate around what constitutes abuse and criticism.

When a player - any player - consistently makes mistakes, concedes possession, is it not natural to say, out loud, "Oh for God's sake" or something similar? Or are we saying that that despite these repeated errors - made for whatever reason (nerves, stress, not concentrating, not being good enough) we should greet them with applause and support? That we should put all our frustrations aside all the time and be relentlessly supportive? 

When we all talk about players getting "abuse" on here, are we talking about the "come on, pass to your own man" or "concentrate" type of shouts, or the higher level which Alpha refers to above?

Where does general frustration - which given the run we have been on you could argue is entirely justified by supporters - stop and abuse begin?

I think if this keeps going it will be impossible for mac to stay, we did over perform last year and the fans expect even greater, being so one dimensional has its drawbacks, one injury to key players has hurt.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/how-newcastle-s-pursuit-of-steve-mcclaren-could-hit-sunderland-s-head-coach-search-1-7221935

I agree with all of this, but I'm going to try to introduce some context into the debate around what constitutes abuse and criticism.

When a player - any player - consistently makes mistakes, concedes possession, is it not natural to say, out loud, "Oh for God's sake" or something similar? Or are we saying that that despite these repeated errors - made for whatever reason (nerves, stress, not concentrating, not being good enough) we should greet them with applause and support? That we should put all our frustrations aside all the time and be relentlessly supportive? 

When we all talk about players getting "abuse" on here, are we talking about the "come on, pass to your own man" or "concentrate" type of shouts, or the higher level which Alpha refers to above?

Where does general frustration - which given the run we have been on you could argue is entirely justified by supporters - stop and abuse begin?

​VR, basically, Grant, Forsyth, Christie, Buxton, Keogh, Shotton, Dawkins, Bryson, Hendrick, Ward and even Martin (FFS) have all been subject to ACTUAL abuse. Not just groans and "come on"s, actual vitriolic hatred you'd expect from a brainless Forest fan! BUT from so-called Derby fans.

​VR, basically, Grant, Forsyth, Christie, Buxton, Keogh, Shotton, Dawkins, Bryson, Hendrick, Ward and even Martin (FFS) have all been subject to ACTUAL abuse. Not just groans and "come on"s, actual vitriolic hatred you'd expect from a brainless Forest fan! BUT from so-called Derby fans.

​Yep, and anything approaching that is totally unacceptable.

I wondered whether when discussing "abuse" some people were referring to the general level of groans and sighs and FFS when the players make a hash of something, while others were referring to what you say, which is on a different level.

It makes a debate difficult when people are giving their opinions based on different parameters.

Sorry for the blank post above, this site drives me nuts.

In relation to @Alpha Signia post I agree with all of this, but I'd try to introduce some context into the debate around what constitutes abuse and criticism.

Mate, I'm right with you on the frustrated shouts. I do it myself.

"DO IT WHEN YOU SEE IT FOR FOODS SAKE" at Christie as he sees the pass, stares at the pass, turns away from the pass, turns back to the pass, hits the pass and then wonders why the pass failed.

But then I take things in context

I'm not against him because he made that mistake. When the ball comes again and he's nutmegged I don't shout "HE'S FOOKIN ****" and "MAC! GET THAT USELESS CNUT OFF"

It was a nutmeg. or it was an awkward situation. I'm not on his back looking for errors and i'll applaud anything he does right and cheer him. I don't expect him to make up for anything or owe us anything. I expect him to make more mistakes as I expect thousands of mistakes from both teams. 

People around me are waiting for these mistakes. To pounce. 

Stupid stuff makes me outburst. Lazy stuff makes me outburst. But it's an outburst and I'm sure Mac has those while he watches. 

But people are more vindictive than that. They set about pulling everything apart. 

Booing and jeering isn't spontaneous. Calling Keogh a cnut 3 times a week isn't spontaneous.  He doesn't pick himself. If he's pooh then he's pooh. It's not him that should be getting flak

like Sammon. I hate him anywhere near our team. I think he is useless. Rubbish abysmal garbage player. I NEVER abuse him. Not even when his second touch is a tackle. Because it's not stupidity or ignorance or being lazy that's doing it. It's just he's not up to the level. He's not picking himself though.  Why would I abuse him?

Archived