Just a job

Normanton End

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Footballers are normal people like us. They need to go to the supermarket to do their shopping, might like to have a browse for some new threads in Westfield once in a while or go for a Nandos with their partner. So to harass and follow them them while they are going out about their daily lives would be a little unfair but asking for a photo isn't completely unreasonable. They can say no and it's part and parcel of the crazy job they do.

It is unreasonable, when are they allowed to finish work? stop being that footballer and have their own life? knackered having just finished training but nip to Asda to get something in to eat for himself and the missus.....can I have your picture please?...how about f off and Google me, plenty of pics of me in Google Images mate.

If players say no to pics or autographs fans jump on them for being arrogant.

The club arrange signing days both in town and at the club shop, go to these events where they are on club duty if you want a pic

It is unreasonable, when are they allowed to finish work? stop being that footballer and have their own life? knackered having just finished training but nip to Asda to get something in to eat for himself and the missus.....can I have your picture please?...how about f off and Google me, plenty of pics of me in Google Images mate.

If players say no to pics or autographs fans jump on them for being arrogant.

The club arrange signing days both in town and at the club shop, go to these events where they are on club duty if you want a pic

They can say no or just ignore them. Anyone who has a brain and any consideration for other human beings won't jump on them for being arrogant.

Can't see a problem with people wanting photos, autographs etc.

There aren't many other (none sport related) jobs where 30,000+ people turn up every week to watch you and your colleagues. That alone makes the job special and therefore warrants special attention for the employees ie. Photos with customers/fans.

Can't see a problem with people wanting photos, autographs etc.

There aren't many other (none sport related) jobs where 30,000+ people turn up every week to watch you and your colleagues. That alone makes the job special and therefore warrants special attention for the employees ie. Photos with customers/fans.

Theres a pub in Cleethorpes with a barmaid with a cracking pair on her, low cut top, reckon she draws in a few thousand each week. Everyone looks away when other barmaids come to serve them, they all wait for her. I'd love to get her pic..

Im not one for dropping names but me and LR had a pint with Bucko the night before we played Leeds away a couple of seasons back.

Spoke footy, Nigel kneeing Billy(allegedly) and turning the Forest job down when Fridgey took over.

Two things

He was drinking the night be for an away match?

I've won my bet with Daveo that you'd name drop this meeting again for the fifth time.

Theres a pub in Cleethorpes with a barmaid with a cracking pair on her, low cut top, reckon she draws in a few thousand each week. Everyone looks away when other barmaids come to serve them, they all wait for her. I'd love to get her pic..

It's still the player's choice whether to allow the fan to have a photo.

I'm just saying I understand why they get so much attention from the fans. I've met quite a few players from the current squad and they have all seemed down to earth, nice blokes. I'm sure quite a few would rather have passionate fans than fans that couldn't care less?

I'm just saying I understand why they get so much attention from the fans. I've met quite a few players from the current squad and they have all seemed down to earth, nice blokes. I'm sure quite a few would rather have passionate fans than fans that couldn't care less?

It's not that I don't get it, I just wish they wouldn't and give the players some privacy. Like I say the club put on events for pictures and autographs, you can even say your son is in hospital and get a signed ball if needed, time and a place that's all....should be an age limit tho

A lot of footballers are more than likely decent human beings. I would suspect that as long as we approach players at the right time many will be open to it. However don't expect miracles, genuinely how many of you out there could go up to a stranger on the street and start a conversation and feel comfortable about it - it won't be natural for a lot of players.

On honeymoon last year I was on my own in a snorkelling boat with Kit Symons. I didn't recognise him at first but I asked his name when he told me what he did. (Under 21 mgr at Fulham at the time, he didn't mention Wales) he was more than happy to talk and asked me about DCFC players.

I also know someone who does Jeffs cleaning and he is a real sound guy.

Just out of interest Yorkie, how many photos and autographs have you got in your collection?

A lot of footballers are more than likely decent human beings. I would suspect that as long as we approach players at the right time many will be open to it. However don't expect miracles, genuinely how many of you out there could go up to a stranger on the street and start a conversation and feel comfortable about it - it won't be natural for a lot of players.

On honeymoon last year I was on my own in a snorkelling boat with Kit Symons. I didn't recognise him at first but I asked his name when he told me what he did. (Under 21 mgr at Fulham at the time, he didn't mention Wales) he was more than happy to talk and asked me about DCFC players.

I also know someone who does Jeffs cleaning and he is a real sound guy.

Jeff, or the cleaner?

My Dad pretended I was in Hospital to Derby and got a signed ball from all of the players (Eranio etc). If that counts for my birthday!

Not nice.

I have only once mentioned someone in hospital to DCFC, and that was my sister who had suffered a life-threatening stroke. The club were brilliant.

Saw Addison, Barks, Connolly, Pringle et al in a nightclub in Derby a few years back and utterly smashed got a selfie with them all. I felt dirty the next morning, and agree it's all a little tragic but I can see the appeal - we spend a lot of time assessing the merits of these people. 

I've came across quite a few pros over the years, Derby and others, and even lived on the same street as two. Never ever felt any compulsion to treat it any differently than any other every day interaction.

I'd even be embarrassed to follow a Derby player on Twitter (not that I am on it anyway).

Archived