How would we be doing if we had got promoted?

DerbyPride12

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's to say that with a bit of backing (which we seem to have the money for) and a couple of quality signings that we couldn't emulate say Southampton's first season.

It seems to me teams that try to play a bit of football tend to do better than those who just hoof.

I remember the last time,talk about deja vu,people were talking about being top after

5 or6 matches,we were brilliant and all that.Several of us thought different,anyway as we

found out the gulf was massive.

I notice that of the 3 teams promoted last season Leicester are 15th,QPR and Burnley

bottom 2,if we couldn't compete with those last 2 last season,how can we compete now.

I remember the last time,talk about deja vu,people were talking about being top after

5 or6 matches,we were brilliant and all that.Several of us thought different,anyway as we

I notice that of the 3 teams promoted last season Leicester are 15th,QPR and Burnley

bottom 2,if we couldn't compete with those last 2 last season,how can we compete now.

Yeah but last time the team that got promoted was god awful, and we signed players to make the team worse over the summer.

This time around we have a young, hungry team capable of playing good football.

We also did compete with QPR and Burnley.

The same way an awful Crystal Paalce side who went up through the playoffs managed to stay up.

Anyone can see that our current side is far superior to the 2007 promotion team. The Premier League is also a lot weaker now. 

Leicester will stay up comfortably, and our style is far better suited to the Prem than Burnley's 

Sorry, but this is really wrong. Logical, but wrong.

Last time we went up, we went up playing Billy Davies percentage football, and we nearly ****** that up towards the end. We were undeserving in the play offs ad unanimously considered the favourites for relegation rhe moment we won the final. Hence we were only able to recruit ***** players that no one else would have.

It was a disaster waiting to happen from the start.

Now we'd be far more likely to play like Blackpool in their season (okay, ultimately gotvrejefAted in the last day, but gave it a bloody good go with attacking football), or Swansea or Southampton. And we'd be a really attractive prospect for quality players to come to, or be loaned to at least.

Not only that, but we've got a manager who knows how to play against the top clubs in the world.

I'm really looking forward to us eventually drawing a perm club in one of the cups to see how big the gulf really is.

And we did compete with QPR last season, I believe we shared the points in the league, and we finished above them. And Burnley have lost key players, with those out, we would easily compete with them (mind you, them being such a bogey team, they could probably field two men and a dog and they'd still beat us, I'll be glad to avoid them again next season).

Did you know that Swansea's regular starting line up in the Prem featured only three changes from their usual Championship starting XI? And that two of these were enforced through departures anyway? Were they physical? Their midfield was comprised of Joe Allen and Leon Britton. They finished 11th. Never underestimate the system. Our style of football goes a long way.

I disagree,

Light weight team in physicality department, lack of pace barring christie and Ibe (who is crap apart from his pace)

The worst part of our team however is our in ability to have a crack at goal unless its a tap in. Only martin is a true striker of the ball. Hendrick is probably a poor next best

Bryson wasnt a Goal scorer before he came here, and still is goal shy, Hughes is starting to add it to his game but again cant really strike a ball.

I guess when we go up time will tell, be interesting to see who Macca would bring in, and more importantly who of the current squad he would want to replace with a quality new signing.

Yeah ibe is crap! It was such a crap finish on Saturday! And his goal against Cardiff what a lucky goal! He's only scored 2 goals in 6 games awful record for a winger!

Yeah ibe is crap! It was such a crap finish on Saturday! And his goal against Cardiff what a lucky goal! He's only scored 2 goals in 6 games awful record for a winger!

So you're saying that because he's scored 2 in 6, he must be a good player?

I think Ibe is clearly a very talented player and I'm sure he'll improve with more games but he's been poor so far. 

I think we'd be doing alright.

You get different players in that summer window. So where we've seen Best, Ibe, Christie etc we might have seen something else.

Once you get promoted then half of Serie A becomes available for example. They want to be in the rich league. Completely different level of player.

Swansea have already been mentioned. Southampton too.

Go up with a style and system that is natural. Stick with it. They both survived and very quickly they've been able to get some high quality players. I mean one has been managed by Laudrup and the other now has Koeman.

Leicester signed Cambiasso. Do you think he's ever heard of Leicester City?

Saints signed Ramirez. Massive signing wasn't it?

So that summer it's important to get just a few good players to suit the system. Don't spunk it out on whatever big names are out of contract or players that don't fit. Don't panic.

Keep doing what you did in the Championship and see where it gets you over a whole season.

Are Stoke better than all the Championship? Probably. But it's easy to match up to the likes of Stoke in that first window if it's done right.

I think Leicester might do ok and I don't rate Pearson. QPR have no identity. They're a reactive side just like in this league. Burnley, we knew they were a well disciplined off the ball team playing the percentages. Now they're seeing what happens when you don't control the game against more deliberate PL opposition. I'm surprised they're not harder to beat but I'm not surprised they're second best all the time.

Yeah, I think we'd be doing ok if we got just a couple of key players in that first window.

So you're saying that because he's scored 2 in 6, he must be a good player?

I think Ibe is clearly a very talented player and I'm sure he'll improve with more games but he's been poor so far.

No it's the quality of the goals he scored which have proved he is a talented player. He came on against Cardiff and improved us considerably. Also very impressive in the cup game against reading.

QPR, Burnley, Sunderland, Newcastle, Palace.

We'd be competing with the likes of Hull, Stoke, Wba, Leicester in about 13th/14th place imo.

Hull are way above us.

Leicester last season, showed they were a much better side than us and have made a cracking start to the Prem season.

Stoke are well-rehearsed in the Prem, a hard to beat team.

West Brom possibly have a little bit of extra quality than us.

However, this is immaterial because our survival would have depended on signings in key areas. Without those, we're guessing based on current form and optimism at Championship standard.

I disagree,

Light weight team in physicality department, lack of pace barring christie and Ibe (who is crap apart from his pace)

The worst part of our team however is our in ability to have a crack at goal unless its a tap in. Only martin is a true striker of the ball. Hendrick is probably a poor next best

Bryson wasnt a Goal scorer before he came here, and still is goal shy, Hughes is starting to add it to his game but again cant really strike a ball.

I guess when we go up time will tell, be interesting to see who Macca would bring in, and more importantly who of the current squad he would want to replace with a quality new signing.

This is probably the most sausage post I have read on here. Ever.

Lightweight....this matters more in the championship and is the only reason we didn't finish top. It is a different game in the prem, our type of game. I can only think of Toure that would obviously out muscle us, as he does to everyone.

Lack of pace.....Christie and Ibe the only ones? Ward, Russell, Dawkins, all regularly outstrip fullbacks. Forsyth isn't exactly slow either.

We tap it in because we can. And will continue to do so. Also, teams don't close down as much in the Prem allowing more longer range shots.

Can't shoot?... Hendrick, Russell, Hughes, can all hit it sweetly and Bryson rarely missed the target last year.

Archived