On Chris Martin

Thierry Ennui

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post Penelope Pendrex.

Up The Housemartins.

He's as big as a house, he can fly like a bird, and I hope he stays in our house forever, that Matrin fella, because he is one of our family.

As mentioned previously, when some on here wanted to stick him on the bench he's our key man, and in Chris Martin I trust and I'm sure you all do too. 

Chris Martin first name on our team sheet for me, every day of the week.

Ninos could well be on the wind up but I don't think he is based on his reasoning, which is at least plausible.

Mostly it's idiots in the stands rather than forum people, who are typically going to be bright. I just wanted to write about one of our best players, really.

(In reply to Shaftesbury Street)

Ninos could well be on the wind up but I don't think he is based on his reasoning, which is at least plausible.

Mostly it's idiots in the stands rather than forum people, who are typically going to be bright. I just wanted to write about one of our best players, really.

(In reply to Shaftesbury Street)

Oh no i'm not bashing it, the post was great, i just haven't personally seen anyone criticize him other than obvious trolls. I haven't seen what Ninos posted but i'm sure he's eating his words right now  :lol:

Oh no i'm not bashing it, the post was great, i just haven't personally seen anyone criticize him other than obvious trolls. I haven't seen what Ninos posted but i'm sure he's eating his words right now  :lol:

In West Stand upper hear people get frustrated at his APPARENT laziness.

Comes from people who have not played the game, and who somehow think a person will chase lost causes and shoot at every opportunity.

I am 100% certain people will have been shouting SHOOT when he pulled ball back for Will

All clubs have moaning fans ...that ours can still moan and slate players at games with he football we play and Team we have ...is a clue to as to why they attend ....to have a good old moan!  They are paying to go in ...but is incredible their lack of footy knowledge and awareness

I hardly dare click on this.....but it was ok, it was his goal last night.  :ph34r:

DCFC 2-0 AFCB | GoPro - Chris Martin Finishes Off

PistoldPete2

I thought I'd write a bit about what Martin brings to the team, as I'm tired of people saying he's playing too deep or he's not in the box enough or he dives too much or countless other ill-informed things. My favourite quote remains "I think we should play Sammon for his pace" from some guy next to me in the queue at the Playoff Final.

Chris Martin does the work of two players, and he's able to do much of that work without breaking a sweat. It's not to say he's lazy at all, and if anything he looks slimmer and faster than he did last season, but Martin's positioning is fantastic, and his primary role, to act as a pivot which the team plays around, he's getting better and better at.

Martin's most obvious quality (besides his excellent game:goal ratio) is his hold-up play. He likes the ball to feet, but he's comfortable with it played at him at any height or angle besides jumping height (we'll come back to that). Against most opponents he'll receive the ball, hold it as long as is needed, then play it off to a team-mate. He's uncannily good at this, and it's a large reason why we have such good possession stats. Which brings us to his passing. In my opinion Chris Martin is the third best passer in the side, behind only Hughes and Thorne. For a striker that's a hell of a skill to have. I don't know his precise assist stats but he sets up a lot of goals for us, way more than his fair share.

Then there is his goal-scoring, and the second Chris Martin. He is not a particularly powerful striker, and he's certainly not what you would call pacey. What he is excellent at, though, is timing his runs and getting on the end of passes. Which brings is to his finishing. Martin is without doubt one of the most accomplished finishers in the division, and what's more he can score with both feet.

So what are his weaknesses? Well, as mentioned earlier, he's not great when anything is played at jumping height. The vast majority of centre halves will dominate against him in the air. So how does he deal with it? Well, he doesn't stop moving, and will either come deep or wide to avoid tall centre halves and get involved in the build up. He also, as mentioned previously, times his runs to avoid direct match-ups. This isn't to say Martin is poor at heading, mind. Uncontested his technique is solid and accuracy good. His headed passes tend to be on point, and his few headed goal-scoring opportunitiues are usually on target. Finally, he knows when to go to ground, which brings us to the earlier point of his 'diving'. If Martin has a centre half climbing on his back then it is his right to go to ground. Attackers are rightly protected by referees in this way. The value of a free kick won in the opposition half is very high. If anything, Martin's 'diving' is another string to add to his bow.

What's also worth mentioning is that we play three up front. We don't play wingers, and our two inside-forwards should be contributing with goals. Arguably they should be scoring more (at least collectively) than Martin in this system, particularly as I'd describe Martin as a deep lying forward.

In conclusion, Chris Martin's contribution to the 2013-14 Derby County is huge, and can hardly be overstated. He's Nigel Clough's best signing and Derby's most important player. His signing a new contract was massive for the club. Let's be thankful that we have him.

Yes when Martin went down injured last night my heart sank. Also as you say the other forward players dont score enough, although Jamie Ward has done well so far. If Martin was injured or off form we would suffer badly.

There's two different kinds of pace.

The extra yard in the feet,

The extra yard in the head.

While Chrissy is no slouch, he clearly falls into the second of these. And that's the one I'd rather have. I'd say Hughes is the same, sure he's not going to win any foot races, but his footballing brain is as sharp as a scalpel.

It is the one and only issue I have with the current squad.

Martin is the life blood of our side. If he picks up an injury, we have got a major problem. I don't mind Best at all, but he is not likely at all to contribute in the same way.

Thing is, it is very unlikely that you are going to gt a top class striker of Martin's ilk to sit there on the bench every week 'just in case' 

A conundrum.

It is the one and only issue I have with the current squad.

Martin is the life blood of our side. If he picks up an injury, we have got a major problem. I don't mind Best at all, but he is not likely at all to contribute in the same way.

Thing is, it is very unlikely that you are going to gt a top class striker of Martin's ilk to sit there on the bench every week 'just in case' 

A conundrum.

That's true. Berbatov is starting player for Monaco so looks unlikely he would came to our bench.

Archived