Johnny Russell

Ramchope

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, that goal record just doesn't look special in the slightest. A SPL goal is usually worth about 1/2 a goal in the Championship too, but I guess I'll go and have a look at the data for the last 5 years to confirm.

Even if this season was "his first as a striker", nothing about this season's second record is anything to write home about. We'll probably end up signing him, but I can see this forum slamming him Sammon style next season when he doesn't bang in 20+ goals. I don't know, his record (taking this season as the key point) reads like one of about a 10-15 goal a season striker at this level.

I don't know, that goal record just doesn't look special in the slightest. A SPL goal is usually worth about 1/2 a goal in the Championship too, but I guess I'll go and have a look at the data for the last 5 years to confirm.

Even if this season was "his first as a striker", nothing about this season's second record is anything to write home about. We'll probably end up signing him, but I can see this forum slamming him Sammon style next season when he doesn't bang in 20+ goals. I don't know, his record (taking this season as the key point) reads like one of about a 10-15 goal a season striker at this level.

He did that in a poor team though too. From clips I think the quality of his goals is what has impressed me. Sammon scored 8 this season but i only think one was a true strike of the ball.

If anything the fact Celtic are interested should tell us that hes worth a risk. Celtic never fancied Sammon and they know the league the best.

If he is a 10-15 goal striker thats not such a bad thing? If we have 4 strikers capable of double figures then scoring the goals shouldnt be an issue next season.

Thankfully, the club's scouting extends beyond Wikipedia. If scouting a striker was as easy as looking at their goals to games ratio in the league they played in, a lot of jobs would be lost.

Also, how on does an SPL goal for Dundee equate to half for Derby? How can this be quantified? How will he fit in at Derby? Will he suit our style of play better? Will England's pitches give him more confidence on the ball?

Who knows.

But in any instance, it's too early to say. However, the fact that Serie A teams, Celtic and relegated Prem teams are after him shows his goalscoring record must be misleading.

Thankfully, the club's scouting extends beyond Wikipedia. If scouting a striker was as easy as looking at their goals to games ratio in the league they played in, a lot of jobs would be lost.

Also, how on earth does an SPL goal for Dundee equate to half for Derby? How can this be quantified? How will he fit in at Derby? Will he suit our style of play better? Will England's pitches give him more confidence on the ball?

Who knows.

But in any instance, it's too early to say. However, the fact that Serie A teams, Celtic and relegated Prem teams are after him shows his goalscoring record must be misleading.

I remember all the Premier League interest in Jacobs as well, not to mention interesting in so many players that we've ended up signing and how "we couldn't compete", until we actually signed them, then they were apparently unwanted and terrible.

It's funny though, when the club go out, do their job and find good targets, we slam them for it citing wikipedia or what some chap down the pub/ internet said about him. We of course, save this until they are signed, then question their goal scoring record here and previously, or question why the club would sign such players. You're entirely right though, the club should know what they're doing and the overall goal records shouldn't be the only thing considered, but for a player like Russell, who I doubt many of us have seen a great deal of, there's no much else to go on, but there seems to be a bizarre amount of excitement, which I can only see ending in tears at this rate, simply because the chances of him being some supreme saviour up front being minimal, not because of anything to do with him, but simply because players rarely have such amazing seasons. It's better that if he does sign for us not to have ridiculous expectations on him, but apparently that has gone over a few people's heads.

As for goal scoring records though, normally 8 in 16 in Scotland is worth 4 in 16 in the Championship. I don't know why, that's just what we see from the Scottish strikers who end up in the Championship, at least from what I remember, I'm currently working on a new review of this though, we'll see what comes off from it.

Strikers aren't all about scoring goals - i'm just as interested in his all round ability and contribution than his goal tally!! 

Otherwise we might as well keep Theo on the books, play him every game and he would get 20 goals! but it'd be like playing with 10 men for 98% of the season... 

The longer this goes on, the more our chances will diminish. I do like the look of the guy and hope we can move to sign him up quickly. Then concentrate on a centre half and left back, and moving some of the unwanted players (especially keepers!) out.

Referring back to the beginning of this thread  ie  August a year ago.

Huddersfield, Bolton, Derby, Everton and Celtic reportedly monitoring/interested  -   and Celtic had already had 2 offers rejected the previous January.

We have well researched him over time.

Back to Reading's reported interest (Steve Nicholson).  Remember ALF ??   They were the only club with the bottle to follow through .......... and we spat feathers

Archived