Anyone with a spare bit of time...

Ambitious

I should of probably done this but, I can't be arsed but I'm sure one of my entourage would love to go figure this out.

In the time Clough has been here can you find out...

-goals scored in the first half, and goals scored in the second half

-what our overall record with clough is in terms of W-D-L

-what our overall record in the first half is like

-what our overall record in the second half is like

(a good one here) - how many games have we thrown away a winning positions

- how many games have we gone from a losing position to a winning position.

also wouldn't mind knowing what our overall home and away record is like under Clough.

I realise this is a big ask, but I just wanted to see if this last 15 minutes problem has always been cowering below the surface.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should of probably done this but, I can't be arsed but I'm sure one of my entourage would love to go figure this out.

also wouldn't mind knowing what our overall home and away record is like under Clough.

I realise this is a big ask, but I just wanted to see if this last 15 minutes problem has always been cowering below the surface.

I did a huge last 15 minute thread about 6 months ago.. It was a roaring success.. I called it something like 'Negative mentality' and had all the facts dating over a year to back it up..

I was then criticsed like hell and called a WUM.. So I wouldn't do it if I were you, it's not worth it.

Not even half - does that mean we have actually had a positive result in over half of our games?

Depends if you call draws positives.

Draw v Barnsley 1-1. Yes. Couldn't of battered their goal much more.

Draw v QPR 2-2. Completely *****!

I did a huge last 15 minute thread about 6 months ago.. It was a roaring success.. I called it something like 'Negative mentality' and had all the facts dating over a year to back it up..

I was then criticsed like hell and called a WUM.. So I wouldn't do it if I were you, it's not worth it.

Lol. You got hammered for that thread!

Funny thing is, I've never seen you say Clough isn't the man for the job. Also I remember you being one to praise our football in the exciting 4231 combining Bueno, Cywka, Green, Commons, Kuqi. Even when we lost a few (undeservedly IMO).

But boy, have you took some flak!

I think if Nigel had stuck to his guns in that 4231 after he spent all summer pouring energy into it then we'd be one of the most exciting teams in this division. Maybe even a play off contender by now. Never should of abandoned it for 442 safety football.

It's that small period that keeps my faith in Clough. Well, that and he's a top bloke! He CAN work with flair and attacking football. He built that team too.

Lol. You got hammered for that thread!

Funny thing is, I've never seen you say Clough isn't the man for the job. Also I remember you being one to praise our football in the exciting 4231 combining Bueno, Cywka, Green, Commons, Kuqi. Even when we lost a few (undeservedly IMO).

But boy, have you took some flak!

I think if Nigel had stuck to his guns in that 4231 after he spent all summer pouring energy into it then we'd be one of the most exciting teams in this division. Maybe even a play off contender by now. Never should of abandoned it for 442 safety football.

It's that small period that keeps my faith in Clough. Well, that and he's a top bloke! He CAN work with flair and attacking football. He built that team too.

You know what Alpha about 3 years ago I posted a thread on here saying we should stick with Clough and GSE and that their idea was to lower the wage bill, bring in youths from the lower leagues and build a cheap, young, exciting team and that we'll be the envy of other clubs..

I was also ridiculed for that too..

One for the archives but it sure as hell made for some debate.. And those that claim I only post negative stuff should take a read of that thread as it was the same people criticising me for being positive back then now criticise me for being negative.. Funny really..

I also wish like you that NC stuck to his guns and carried on with the 4-2-3-1.. In that 5 game run in December we battered Reading and Bristol City (both lost) and were extremely unfortunate against Norwich at home when we had major decisions against us.. We didn't need to go to longball survival football. But that Burnley match at Turf Moor was the start of the negative displays and once the other 3 defeats followed NC lost it at Forest and we've never been the same since.

I also wish like you that NC stuck to his guns and carried on with the 4-2-3-1.. In that 5 game run in December we battered Reading and Bristol City (both lost) and were extremely unfortunate against Norwich at home when we had major decisions against us.. We didn't need to go to longball survival football. But that Burnley match at Turf Moor was the start of the negative displays and once the other 3 defeats followed NC lost it at Forest and we've never been the same since.

One moment in that game summed it off, Bueno went off injured early on and we brung on Ben Pringle who manage to pass it to the advertising hordings more than his teammates.

Hey up Bris. Long time no see.

Folks were critical of that thread as most of your comments were made to wind people up. Yes, you made a valid point but to keep on and on and on about the same point rather gave the indication that you were rather enjoying getting folks backs up.

We need some differences of opinions on here to make things interesting and keep us all awake as the standard of football we play clearly leaves us with very little to talk about.

I didn't want to see the stats to ridicule Clough, just wanted to see what the crack was - as I said I like Clough he has holes in his game, and just wanted to see if there was any correlation in the results.

my guess is, our first half and home results will be very good - this is where we feel most confident where we go out and attack teams and it shows.

but then our away games and second half results won't be very good, because this seems to be where we press the panic button or don't feel confident playing out of our comfort zone.

I'll reword the questions a bit, but I'll try and answer what you asked, note all of this is to do with the League only and upto the end of last season:

Goals scored and conceded in the first half of games against the second half:

We have scored 79 goals in the first halves of matches and conceded 89. In the second halves of matches we've scored 108 and conceded 133. There is roughly a 2-3 split for both goals scored and conceded in terms of the split between first half and second half scoring.

What is Clough's overall record in terms of wins, losses and draws:

Played: 158

Won: 53 (34%)

Drawn: 35 (22%)

Lost: 70 (44%)

I'll replace the last few questions slightly, mainly because getting exactly those figures would take an extremely long time. The main issue is the fact that score lines can change multiple times over the course of a game, so instead I'll deal with who opened the scoring. However, I feel these questions to be just as instructive:

What is our record like in games where we have scored first:

We have scored first 65 times in the League under Nigel's management. Of these games we've won 43, drawn 12 and lost 10. This represents winning 66%, drawing 18% and losing 15%. To me this is actually a decent record.

As a side note, last season we opened the scoring in 20 matches, of which we won 14, drew 4 and lost 2. In terms of percentages this is winning 70%, drawing 20% and losing 10%. This is actually a fairly good record in truth.

What is our record like in games where we have conceded first:

Under Nigel's management we have conceded first 78 times, resulting in 60 losses, 8 draws and 10 wins. This is a loss percentage of 77%, a draw percentage of 10% and a win percentage of only 13%. This is certainly something that we'd want to improve on in the future, although not conceding first as much would also be a positive.

As another side note last season we conceded first 23 times of which we won 4, drew 3 and lost 16. As percentages this is winning 17%, drawing 13% and losing 70%. This is certainly better than the overall average and considerably better than the 2010/11 season. During 10/11 we conceded first 21 times, less than in 11/12, but we only won 2 and drew 1 with a massive 19 losses. This in terms of a percentage is losing 86%, drawing 5% and winning 9%.

Have we won or lost a game in the last 10 minutes:

No.

What is our overall late game record:

In the last 10 minutes of games:

Draw to win: 4

Draw to loss: 9

Win to draw: 8

Loss to draw: 2

Long story short, not that great. Although, interestingly, from last season:

Draw to win: 1

Draw to loss: 1

Win to draw: 1

Loss to draw: 0

Basically, what few late goals were conceded did little to the scoreline.

*Note, I do hope there are no errors in the above, I have tried to error check it, but its based on a large amount of data and there is always the chance of an error somewhere

I hope that's something along the lines of what you were looking for.

Archived