Is Mr Nigel Clough tactically good enough at this level and should he go?

Davey B

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't punish a player if that then punishes the team.

Theo Robinson should of been in the squad. Having said that, if he was in the squad we may of lost still.

But he should be ahead of some of the players that got ahead of him. Forget this match or Saturday or whatever..... This has happened before with other players.

Ability counts more than people give credit for. Working hard and having the right attitude is not enough. It's a fairytale to think you get rewarded for effort.

I have faith in Clough. Still. Bananas

From the sounds of it Bolton played woeful, were booed off at half time and can consider themselves lucky to win. I can't help but think a better manager would have got something out of tonight with the players at his disposal. We turn up with two banks of four 'expecting a backlash' and have no plan b, its so predictable..

I'm worried about Nigel supposedly falling out with players. If it is true that he won't even talk to his players after the fall outs I can't rate him very highly at all. That is him being not good enough it is not about the player. Alex Ferguson might get away with it since he can buy whoever he pleases but nobody in charge of Derby can't afford to act in that manner.

This topic should really be "is clough a good manager". He could be a tactical genius, but for his alienation of players through poor man management means that his execution will always be poor. Harry Redknapp isn't perhaps the greatest tactician but he runs rings around clough getting the best out of his players.

Please can we all wake up and realise it doesn't have to be this way. We don't have to be this poor. We could possibly have a manager that inspires his players and attains some decent level of consistency. We could perhaps even thank clough for sorting out the wage bill etc as he picks up his hat and strolls the hell out the door.

NC is paying the price for our over ahievement last season already given the comments on here..

Though he doesn't help himself does he.. The bloke simply has no clue to the latter stages of the game, he seemingly gets it so wrong so many times it's becoming predictable and costly..

I wish he'd stop relying on effort and pick people on ability..

I sometimes wonder if Nigel tries to be his dad too much - when he should just be himself. Some people have said that he's more like his mum in a lot of ways - which isn't a bad thing, it's his mum who supported the family - Brian included.

Two bottles of wine - I'm being a bit 'deep' but I think he has a lot to live up to - and doesn't realise that he can't be his dad, but he can be himself - which is just as good.

He's just a broken man. The moment I realised the extent of his troubles was when I got tickets just behind the dugout at an innocuous game at the tail end of the season before last. It was a boring game of no consequence, yet clough was going mental at everything and everyone. The fourth official was looking at him like he was crazy. The players played with fear, and the object of the game for them was not to take responsibility and to make something happen, but to avoid a rash b0llocking. We lost.

He's lost the dressing room. Not quite

Brian Kidd style but even more depressing and drawn out.

I sometimes wonder if Nigel tries to be his dad too much - when he should just be himself. Some people have said that he's more like his mum in a lot of ways - which isn't a bad thing, it's his mum who supported the family - Brian included.

Two bottles of wine - I'm being a bit 'deep' but I think he has a lot to live up to - and doesn't realise that he can't be his dad, but he can be himself - which is just as good.

You might have a point.

His dad was fierce and critical but he also knew what made players tick on the human side. I remember an interview with him where he openly talked about the anxiety players feel and how to deal with it. He was a man manager above all else.

Clough junior just uses the stick. He's played football and won stuff, why simply can't his players just get on with it and do the same?

You might have a point.

I remember when Trevor Francis was manager of Sheffield Wednesday and one of his players went to go to the birth of his child without his permission and he got fined....Clough smacks of acting with the same petty tyrannical mentality which garners zero respect from anyone he needs to grow up

So Trevor Francis had the 'Clough' mentality - but not the nous behind it.....not the player management

Brian did things for a reason

The weight of expectation in taking this job was huge. Perhaps he did not think he could do the job or desire it. But how many chances in a lifetime would you ever get to try and do such a thing. No one can question his hunger and will to do the best and how much he cares about the club. But you do wonder if this is making him try too hard as he wants this success so badly. It may piss him off seeing players not carry the same care he does, but none of them could ever have his connection.

Maybe what is holding him back is a fear of failure, the fear of letting down himself, family and the fans. The whole thing is a fairytale that some are more attached to than others. I think Clough is under a pressure that no other manager in this league or country is even close to, a different kind of pressure. In this harsh world is there time for sentiment?

Of course, the truth could be that he just isn't quite good enough. I know it has been suggested before, but maybe he needs someone alongside him who isn't an old friend or former team mate and has no personal involvement, but knows their football. I think a lot of what Clough does is good, but there are enough bad calls and ideals that haven't gone away.

More wine please!

I was at the game tonight and I'm in no doubt that Clough's second half decisions cost us dearly, Bolton were poor, and were there for the taking if we'd been brave, I liked the look of Sammon, he held the ball up well and gave us a physical presence, he took him off, invited some Bolton pressure and unsurprisingly we lost the game, a game where we looked comfortable for at least a point.

I hope he can admit he got it completely wrong tonight.

Agree with the post above with regards tous giving this game a go. Sammon had a ore season behind him, no reason he couldn't have stayed on and he was looking stronger as the game went on.

I have so many irritations with Clough at the moment it's frustrating, but for all the comments on here, we (not me) as fans are still chanting his name.

Archived