Is Mr Nigel Clough tactically good enough at this level and should he go?

Davey B

Well if we want to make it hard for the opposition then surely the best way of doing that is retaining possession in their half? This is very hard to do when we only had one player in their half surrounded by 4 defenders.

Kicking the ball into the corner is a bloody rugby tactic not a football tactic, doing that would still only have invited more pressure on us.

Our players may be guilty of not always listening to the manager but maybe he is also guilty of not listening to what the fans want/expect from his team. One thing I certainly don't expect is playing 6 defenders and 3 midfielders at home.

I agree that NC has to take the flack here, bringing O'Connor and Gjokaj on were decisions which he was either going to get praised or hammered for depending on the result. He's getting hammered cos we conceded in the last minute to drop two points.

They can't score from their own corner flag G-Star. If you're winning 2-1 with a minute to go you give the fans what they want or expect which is 3 points. You're not saying we can't see that the team is playing some good football already, you cant tell me it''s already dull watching us try to hang on for 3 points in the first home game of the season? you can't tell me after Tuesday we wouldn't have took a dirty sneaky 1-0 win to get us off and running?

Remember as well that jeff didn't play the 120 minutes on Tuesday. He watched every second of it. FFS Jeff you must have heard the coaching staff going mental.

To lose the ball like that and cost your team two points is close to unforgivable. At any level of football you'd be exepcted to get rid and you'd get slated if you didn't.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that NC has to take the flack here, bringing O'Connor and Gjokaj on were decisions which he was either going to get praised or hammered for depending on the result. He's getting hammered cos we conceded in the last minute to drop two points.

They can't score from their own corner flag G-Star. If you're winning 2-1 with a minute to go you give the fans what they want or expect which is 3 points. You're not saying we can't see that the team is playing some good football already, you cant tell me it''s already dull watching us try to hang on for 3 points in the first home game of the season? you can't tell me after Tuesday we wouldn't have took a dirty sneaky 1-0 win to get us off and running?

Remember as well that jeff didn't play the 120 minutes on Tuesday. He watched every second of it. FFS Jeff you must have heard the coaching staff going mental.

To lose the ball like that and cost your team two points is close to unforgivable. At any level of football you'd be exepcted to get rid and you'd get slated if you didn't.

I agree they can't score from their own corner flag but with a quick throw and long punt the ball is soon back in our box.

They certainly can't score if we throw a couple of players forward and keep possession in their half.

And yes I do think it is dull watching us with 8 defensive players on the pitch for 20 or 30 minutes regardless of whether it is the first game of the season or the last game of the season.

If anything was to be learnt from Tuesday surely it was that we are not yet ready as a team to sit back and defend a lead?

You may think Hendrick cost us 2 points, personally I think the blame lies with the manager for shutting up shop about 25 minutes too early rather than trying to stretch the opposition.

What did you think to hime leaving Ward on instead of Tyson when we resorted to our rugby tactics?

Hello to all you Rams,My first time on here,dont get to see many games as to my Spanish location,but have been a lifelong fan.Enjoy reading all the comments,trying to keep up to date with all the news.After watching match of the day last night,it occured to me that most of the succesful teams have a Spanish player or two in their teams,do you think that this could make a difference at Pride Park

I agree they can't score from their own corner flag but with a quick throw and long punt the ball is soon back in our box.

They certainly can't score if we throw a couple of players forward and keep possession in their half.

And yes I do think it is dull watching us with 8 defensive players on the pitch for 20 or 30 minutes regardless of whether it is the first game of the season or the last game of the season.

If anything was to be learnt from Tuesday surely it was that we are not yet ready as a team to sit back and defend a lead?

You may think Hendrick cost us 2 points, personally I think the blame lies with the manager for shutting up shop about 25 minutes too early rather than trying to stretch the opposition.

What did you think to hime leaving Ward on instead of Tyson when we resorted to our rugby tactics?

If it comes back in after a quick throw and a long punt our back 6 are on the front foot and ready to deal with it. That's what he brought them on for. When you lose the ball in midfield and get turned you're on the back front with people running at you. It's a totally different proposition.

I'd have started with a different side and I'd have brought on different subs as well but the first two changes were understandable.The Gjokaj change had me scratching my head a bit and brought with it an air of inevitability.

Well their goal came from two free headers in our box so the back 6 theory obviously didn't work, althought if I am being totally honest I was disappointed that Fielding didn't come from the cross which landed on the edge of our 6 yard box.

It wasn't like all of our defensive players were up the field and got caught on the break.

After Tuesday I think the last thing our defenders needed was to spend the last 30 minutes under constant pressure.

Not sure what has happended to Brayford but he doesn't appear half the player he was. Though to be fair the guy he was up against yesterday was greased lightning and totally had Brayfords pants round his ankles!

I genuinely think sacking Clough would be detrimental to the club and think it would be one of the worst decisions we could possibly make, others have their own opinion and outlook on this matter but stability is under-rated in my eyes... Very much pro Clough, myself!

PBW,

I think your a brilliant poster by the way. Whether I agree with you or not, your points are well thought and you never patronise etc to get it across. So just making it clear I'm not looking to have a keyboard fight!

I just think Hendrick is a football player. I know there are times to play football and times to hoof it. We were getting pinned in our area. It gets to the stage when it becomes a shooting range. Where Fielding is losing his view and space. All Jeff wanted to do is put a foot on the ball. To try and regain some control.

It's a tactic that has come back to bite us so many times I can't believe Nigel thinks it's a way of seeing out games.

I understand Jeff didnt do what he was told. But I think what he's being told is rubbish. Hoof it to the corner flag? Against an equal opponent? C'mon man. Don't invite wave after wave of attack where the opponent only has to worry about how to get forward next. Knock it about! If you can't knock it about then (quit being a footballer) just atleast don't drop too deep and have a counter threat.

Oh, another possible tactic that would perhaps suit Nigel.

Buy a target man. An old head. Drop deep as Clough likes. Stick long balls to the big man. You've got two banks of 4. You've got a harassment striker (Ward, Theo, Tyson) and you've got your big man to time waste.

3 possible ways you see many teams see out games.

Although using the ball better would save no end of energy.

If you are going to boot the ball into the corners, the whole team has to push out and press. No good giving the opposition the ball back if you are not going to press them or put them under pressure. The most simple truth is, regardless of where the ball is, if the opposition don't have it, they cannot score.

Last 5 mins maybe it is suitable. If a team starting doing it any earlier, what does it tell the opposition?

My concern here, is what I have seen some regard as Clough reaching a point of panic, hence the ultra defensive approach. The boss should not panic!! More upsetting is that Clough can have this team playing great football. If this was a one off then it would be an over the top reaction from fans. But it is not.

PBW,

I think your a brilliant poster by the way. Whether I agree with you or not, your points are well thought and you never patronise etc to get it across. So just making it clear I'm not looking to have a keyboard fight!

I just think Hendrick is a football player. I know there are times to play football and times to hoof it. We were getting pinned in our area. It gets to the stage when it becomes a shooting range. Where Fielding is losing his view and space. All Jeff wanted to do is put a foot on the ball. To try and regain some control.

It's a tactic that has come back to bite us so many times I can't believe Nigel thinks it's a way of seeing out games.

I understand Jeff didnt do what he was told. But I think what he's being told is rubbish. Hoof it to the corner flag? Against an equal opponent? C'mon man. Don't invite wave after wave of attack where the opponent only has to worry about how to get forward next. Knock it about! If you can't knock it about then (quit being a footballer) just atleast don't drop too deep and have a counter threat.

Fair points and thanks for the compliment Alpha. I agree we shouldn't invite pressure. When I'm watching or listening to the game you can see and hear it coming, I call it "wagons over" time. It's like the old cowboy and Indian films, we build a circle and let them try to breakthrough.

I hate it, I'd much prefer we tried to keep playing footbal, especially when we can out football most of the sides in the league.

I wasn't delighted with the subs yesterday and was disappointed cos I thought we'd come out second half fying, determined to show them we wouldn't sit back. We did sit back and in the end we gave away the two points.

Not at all saying the tactics were right yesterday I think we changed things around to fit in Hendrick AND Hughes, in my opinion we should have only played with one of them. I'd have started Jacobs left,Hughes central and I'd have left Jeff out, I think it's harsh that Jacobs got 4 assists and he finds himself on the bench. As a wide man you can't do much more than make four goals in a game. Hughes couldn't be left out after the last two displays and I think he'd do more damage central.

But if you ask me again who I think cost us the points yesterday. I'd still have to say Jeff. NC has brought the subs on to stop them scoring,if Jeff does what he knows he should have done, then we'd have the points. It might be ugly and it might be inviting them on but we'd have the points.

You're brought up as a footballer to do certain things, as soon as you play any kind of competitive football you KNOW not to fanny about with it in the last minute especially after we've just been done after extra time in a cup tie giving away two goals in injury time. I'm afraid Jeff just has to take his medicine here. He cost us two points.

A backs to the wall 1-0 away win on Tuesday would be the perfect pick me up. Jeff to get the winner.

Not at all saying the tactics were right yesterday I think we changed things around to fit in Hendrick AND Hughes, in my opinion we should have only played with one of them. I'd have started Jacobs left,Hughes central and I'd have left Jeff out, I think it's harsh that Jacobs got 4 assists and he finds himself on the bench. As a wide man you can't do much more than make four goals in a game. Hughes couldn't be left out after the last two displays and I think he'd do more damage central.

The thing Jacobs didn't do which was needed was give Naylor more defensive support. When ward plays on the left he harries their players and tracks back and gets involved in breaking up play, helping the full back.

I think, given Cloughs comments after Tuesday, is why he was left out.

Personally I would have left Hebdrick out and replaced Jacobs with Ward being my only change from the team on Tursday night.

The thing Jacobs didn't do which was needed was give Naylor more defensive support. When ward plays on the left he harries their players and tracks back and gets involved in breaking up play, helping the full back.

I think, given Cloughs comments after Tuesday, is why he was left out.

Personally I would have left Hebdrick out and replaced Jacobs with Ward being my only change from the team on Tursday night.

Hendrick is the best footballer in the club, you don't leave out your best players. I would have played Ward out wide, I was hoping Jacobs was a bit more advanced than he is.

I would like to see Hendrick and Hughes in the middle if we play a 442 and Bryson could come in when Hughes dips off. Or all 3 in the middle in a 451. Coutts is also really a central midfield player, we could do with a real pace wide option like Wednesday had.

Hendrick isn't the best player at the club by a long way. He is a very good youngster at the moment.

Bryson does a lot off the ball that isn't noticed. On Tursday against Scunnie it was noticeable that when he went off their play wasn't being broken up in midfield. Bryson also pressed the ball high up the field too

He was off it second half on Saturday,, possibly due to lack of time on preseason and maybe not being fully fit from his injury.

I'd rather see Hughes and Bryson in the middle.

Hendrick isn't the best player at the club by a long way. He is a very good youngster at the moment.

Bryson does a lot off the ball that isn't noticed. On Tursday against Scunnie it was noticeable that when he went off their play wasn't being broken up in midfield. Bryson also pressed the ball high up the field too

He was off it second half on Saturday,, possibly due to lack of time on preseason and maybe not being fully fit from his injury.

I'd rather see Hughes and Bryson in the middle.

Sorry can't agree Hendrick already has much more all round to his game than Bryson, who is more of a workhorse with limits. Already with Hughes you can see he is a footballer always wants the ball.

Both Hendrick and Hughes are young but have potential to be real players, I don't really see Bryson as a player who will develop a great deal further. He has his attributes but lacks real quality and he gets run past far too easily by opposition players, I can see him really tested this season, Ssausagehorpe certainly did and I felt it was right to take him off.

If you are going to boot the ball into the corners, the whole team has to push out and press. No good giving the opposition the ball back if you are not going to press them or put them under pressure. The most simple truth is, regardless of where the ball is, if the opposition don't have it, they cannot score.

Last 5 mins maybe it is suitable. If a team starting doing it any earlier, what does it tell the opposition?

My concern here, is what I have seen some regard as Clough reaching a point of panic, hence the ultra defensive approach. The boss should not panic!! More upsetting is that Clough can have this team playing great football. If this was a one off then it would be an over the top reaction from fans. But it is not.

I think those of us who were there knew what was going to happen as soon as their first goal flew in. It was backs against the wall from then on. I don't think we were good enough or strong enough to take the game back to them and our only way of winning was to try to hold on to the one goal advantage. It wasn't pretty, quite the opposite in fact. We controlled the game until that goal but then just fell away. I don't blame the players, Clough or the crowd. It's just what happened. It was too hot for some of them and the opposition were bigger and stronger than many.

As far as I'm concerned, we are about 4 quality players away from being a top 6 side. In particular, we need two good forwards. We can't afford them so that's that until something happens [ eg Bennett or Ball make the grade or new investment].

I did think Keogh looked the part though and Buxton gave 110 per cent as usual. Hughes had a good first half but it was men and boys in the second half and we ran out of steam.

Prediction for this season -12th 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I think those of us who were there knew what was going to happen as soon as their first goal flew in. It was backs against the wall from then on. I don't think we were good enough or strong enough to take the game back to them and our only way of winning was to try to hold on to the one goal advantage. It wasn't pretty, quite the opposite in fact. We controlled the game until that goal but then just fell away. I don't blame the players, Clough or the crowd. It's just what happened. It was too hot for some of them and the opposition were bigger and stronger than many.

As far as I'm concerned, we are about 4 quality players away from being a top 6 side. In particular, we need two good forwards. We can't afford them so that's that until something happens [ eg Bennett or Ball make the grade or new investment].

I did think Keogh looked the part though and Buxton gave 110 per cent as usual. Hughes had a good first half but it was men and boys in the second half and we ran out of steam.

Prediction for this season -12th 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Agree with that Biggsy.

I've always been one to enjoy local rivalry and if I had my way the Prem would consist of all the local sides so, as much as I want to see Forest do better than Derby, I'd sooner see your lot finish 21st than be relegated (gives us something to look forward to next season too).

That doesn't change the fact though that some Derby fans I know are shrugging off conceding 7 goals in 2 home games, against essentially lower league opposition, as nothing to worry about. I don't expect Forest to storm the league by any means (not yet anyway), but to say your 4 players away from being a top 6 side? I think you need a reality check - for me Derby are currently a bottom 5 side and, whilst the issues you have are sortable and a few additions will help you out, don't let yourselves get lulled in to the false sense of security that some of our fans did last season. Currently a relegation fight is on the cards for you unless additions/changes are made.

Archived