£623,000 spent on Agents Fees

GeneralRam

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the price it costs to convince players into mid table mediocrity, the FA should ban them and make it so the manager and player hold the contract talks.

Could you imagine Rooney having the balls to ask for a massive wage rise locked in a room with Fergie?

I was going to say that was pretty high but considering who we signed last season (im thinking Shackell, Robinson, Tyson, Bryson, Maguire ) I dont think thats too bad. Do agents fees get paid when a player is taken on loan?

Yes. And when players sign new contracts. And when we pay players contracts off.

I really dislike the money agents take out of the game for basically doing bugger all. I'm an "agent" of a different sort. I work in exec search where I've got to negotiate and mediate on some very nice packages.

I'm not just saying this cos it's cheap words even in my own business I adopted a fixed fee approach to all negotiations. I dont ever agree on a % of salary being the way to go, if the player gets more money the agents fee goes up even though his job and workload is the same....

I do think a intermediary is needed but I don't think they should be incentivised to push the salary up while increasing their fee.

Now what I've got to do is stop waffling, pass my UEFA licensed agent course. Come in as an "honest" agent and charge a flat yearly fee per player. All negotiations including commercial and sponsorship during that 12 months are handled as part of the fee.

Agents are sharks and the money they take out should be spent elsewhere.

I don't think it is right to lump all agents together. Yes, there are some in their number that could be called parasites, but many others, like Ambitious says, are people trying to get their clients on top a team's roster.

If you look at the money per transaction is where it does get a little worrying, at £15,587 per transaction puts Derby just below the average for the league (£15,627), but that is massively distorted by West Ham (£62,625). If you ignore them, Derby are above average which would be at £12,758. Moral of this story; if you are an agent, speak to West Ham and not Blackpool - you will earn yourself about an extra £59,000!

Some agents are very genuine - not all of them have superstars asking for wage rises, some have genuinely decent youngsters looking desperately to get a first professional contract and the agent has to try and do that.

But when those youngster are desperately looking for their first professional contract, why the hell do they need an agent? If they're so "desperate" to get into the game why go through an agent at all. My negotiations would be pretty straight forward.

How much does a first year pro get and will there be a chance of a pay rise or a longer deal if I do well?

If i want to play football those two questions should be the only two I ask.

I don't need some dodgy brazilian doing that for me. Unless you're the ex spurs manager I don't know many managers who appreciate what agents do.

I don't think it would take more than a few months to know the benchmarks of salaries at all levels of the football league and once you've got that negotiations should be fairly straight forward.

But when those youngster are desperately looking for their first professional contract, why the hell do they need an agent? If they're so "desperate" to get into the game why go through an agent at all. My negotiations would be pretty straight forward.

How much does a first year pro get and will there be a chance of a pay rise or a longer deal if I do well?

If i want to play football those two questions should be the only two I ask.

I don't need some dodgy brazilian doing that for me. Unless you're the ex spurs manager I don't know many managers who appreciate what agents do.

I don't think it would take more than a few months to know the benchmarks of salaries at all levels of the football league and once you've got that negotiations should be fairly straight forward.

Because an agent has contacts in the game - last time I checked you couldn't google Nigel Cloughs phone number and I doubt there is an open door policy in terms of trials. I think there are many different reasons.

You can't google NC's number but you could find his PA's number pretty easily. Plus I bet you've got more chance of getting NC's mobile number if you're not charging 15% to push a player on him then charge him even more cos you push to get the lad a good deal.

I have no overall problem with the concept. I just struggle to see how it's justifiable to charge 60k a pop (as in West Ham's case) or even 15k a pop in ours. I also struggle to see how an agent has more incentive to get his player a regular move than he does to get his player to stay at a club for 10 years.

Last year 250 million quid left the premier league on foreign players transfer fees alone. 10% of that is 25m quid and that's just on the foreign transfers in the top division.

It's scandalous. When the salaries went crazy so did the agents fees.

Not so long ago Cloughie had a couple of little sarcastic digs at agents, think it was Hendrick's or Bennet's but definitely a youngster. It was something along the lines of "Yeah that's right, his agent... quite what he needs one of them for at this stage I don't know"

Quite right to.

Archived