The Olympics Thread

-JW-

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't get much worse in swimming - better to redirect its £25m and put it into areas where it might make more of a difference.

The big recipients of funding this time around have done well - Athletics, Boxing, Cycling and Rowing. Swimming's been a massive disappointment. Gymnastics has been on an incline in recent years, and has achieved more at the games with half the funding. Put more into it. Put more into Taekwondo, and some of the other poorly supported disciplines from this time around.

No doubt we'll get Sharron Davies whinging her t1ts off tomorrow now......! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Can't get much worse in swimming - better to redirect its £25m and put it into areas where it might make more of a difference.

The big recipients of funding this time around have done well - Athletics, Boxing, Cycling and Rowing. Swimming's been a massive disappointment. Gymnastics has been on an incline in recent years, and has achieved more at the games with half the funding. Put more into it. Put more into Taekwondo, and some of the other poorly supported disciplines from this time around.

No doubt we'll get Sharron Davies whinging her t1ts off tomorrow now......! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

I used to swim myself so quite disappointed they're taking the cash away. We need more 50m pools, not enough around, MORE money should be pumped into swimming.

thers a bit in that article from the head of UK swimming saying that during the four year cycle we got great results in European, commonwealth and worlds, but cant understand the reason why we didnt do it in london.

I'd say talk to the cyclists. The frenchies made the point that we havent dominated for the four years from Beijing to now but dominated the olympics - so we must be cheating.

Brailsford says that its virtually impossible to maintain that level over four years - so they purposely dip and then build towards the Olympics

Maybe that's what swimming has done wrong - maybe more of the cyclists ethos needs to be dragged across to other sports.

MORE money just isn't going to happen.

It doesn't really matter how much money we plough into Swimming, we're just not going to be able to beat the US's college system. Not going to happen.

More pools! City of Derby are ranked in the top 8 UK swimming clubs, or atleast were. There's always some decent swimmers from other clubs aswell (like I was 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />).

thers a bit in that article from the head of UK swimming saying that during the four year cycle we got great results in European, commonwealth and worlds, but cant understand the reason why we didnt do it in london.

I'd say talk to the cyclists. The frenchies made the point that we havent dominated for the four years from Beijing to now but dominated the olympics - so we must be cheating.

Brailsford says that its virtually impossible to maintain that level over four years - so they purposely dip and then build towards the Olympics

Maybe that's what swimming has done wrong - maybe more of the cyclists ethos needs to be dragged across to other sports.

I'm reminded of the Australian rugby union side. Throughout the 80s and 90s they were rarely at their best in the inter-world cup periods, yet as soon as the 4 years came around again, there they were.

It's a great ability to have.

I'm reminded of the Australian rugby union side. Throughout the 80s and 90s they were rarely at their best in the inter-world cup periods, yet as soon as the 4 years came around again, there they were.

It's a great ability to have.

and the all blacks were like the swimmers - fantastic between the world cups but never at their best in them except the first and last one (1987 and 2011). always surprises me that the most consistently good team didn't win more world cups.

With the stunning success of Team GB over the past two and a bit weeks, Alex Salmond must be proper fooked off! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

If I were Cameron, when it comes time for the vote, my promotional video would be showing a lot of the events of the past fortnight - That's right Sweaties, this is what we achieve TOGETHER - over to you Alex......

Archived