The Olympics Thread

-JW-

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be the best you can't be too humble. You have to create an atmosphere which gives you an edge. Look at Ali. He was hated by many for being arrogant and after he retired he told he was so scared and had to create this drama so nobody would find out.

probably the wrong word but they didnt go prancing around the track posing before a race, nor after the race. They just got on did their thing then did a lap with a flag on their shoulders if they won.

This way they get a lot more sponsors and money.

Am I the only person to find Bolt an obnoxious self-serving bighead? The man hasn't an ounceof humility in his body.

I think Bolt has an awesome talent but his entourage (from what I've seen on the telly) strut about like peacocks. The world doesn't evolve around him ya know fellas, however good he is.

Money that may well be better spent in other disciplines. Gymnastics for example achieved better results with less than half the funding.

I'd agree with that Staffs.

Isn't it the track & field athletes who get most of the funding yet they haven't been as good as the others? (I'm not slating them, before anyone suggests it, I know they can only do their best) but they just haven't delivered as much. For some reason we never seem to do as well in athletics?

It's fake?? Boooooooo! I didn't half laugh when I read that, I could just imagine Morgans smarmy face squirming 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

oh well, my joy was short lived but great while it lasted 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I'd agree with that Staffs.

Isn't it the track & field athletes who get most of the funding yet they haven't been as good as the others? (I'm not slating them, before anyone suggests it, I know they can only do their best) but they just haven't delivered as much. For some reason we never seem to do as well in athletics?

It's actually rowing that gets the highest funding (£27.3m). Athletics gets £25.1m, Cycling gets £26m, Sailing gets £22.9m, and Swimming gets £25.1m.

I think the Swimming programme's been the biggest disappointment, and the Athletics one gets a bit of a pass based largely on that first evening showing. Farrah, Ennis and Rutherford were brilliant, and beyond them Grabarz did well, and both Osagie and Clarke exceeded expectations, but there were a lot of disappointments too.

If we have to cut funding from anywhere then I'd rather it was from the Swimming - it just doesn't look like we're making anywhere near the progress there that we have in other well-funded disciplines like the Cycling, Rowing, Boxing and Equestrian, all who've benefited from targeted funding and delivered massively at these games.

It's actually rowing that gets the highest funding (£27.3m). Athletics gets £25.1m, Cycling gets £26m, Sailing gets £22.9m, and Swimming gets £25.1m.

I think the Swimming programme's been the biggest disappointment, and the Athletics one gets a bit of a pass based largely on that first evening showing. Farrah, Ennis and Rutherford were brilliant, and beyond them Grabarz did well, and both Osagie and Clarke exceeded expectations, but there were a lot of disappointments too.

If we have to cut funding from anywhere then I'd rather it was from the Swimming - it just doesn't look like we're making anywhere near the progress there that we have in other well-funded disciplines like the Cycling, Rowing, Boxing and Equestrian, all who've benefited from targeted funding and delivered massively at these games.

I read some where there are more Olympic sized pools in Paris than in the whole of GB!

Archived