Youngsters on Trial is a Smokescreen

rammieib

I know most clubs this time of year will be looking at trialists but I can't help but feel this is a smokescreen at the moment to the underlying problems of us A) Being a small club and 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> Not attracting or having the financial muscle to bring in bigger and better players.

I struggle to see the point of playing an 18 year trialist at centre back last night. We have OB, Keough, Bucks, Naylor as the top four choices, with Galinski and Kwame Thomas in reserve. I think most of us would agree that we would all like another top class centre back to partner Keough but thats not going to happen so we need to work with Bucks or OB. I see no value in having an 18 year trialist though?

James Caton - Unless there are other reasons, again, if he isn't good enough for Bolton, why would he be good enough for us?

The result last night is irrespective - whether we had won 4-0 or lost 4-0 I wouldn't be concerned about the scoreline. However, I do worry Clough will talk in the press about looking at the kids as a distraction to the fact we won't be signing many more experienced pro's....

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kwame thomas is a striker mate.....do you mean Josh Lelan?

OB is getting over a serious injury so i dont think he'll be starting at the moment...

from what has been said in the reports on here and on other message boards the young swiss lad played ok and is worth another look...

cant see the problem myself...its the first of many pre-season games...why people get so hung up about em i dont know!!

i can remember a few years ago we went to Norway and beat a side 16-0...did anyone get carried away with that result?

roll on Aug 18 when the real season begins.....

I know most clubs this time of year will be looking at trialists but I can't help but feel this is a smokescreen at the moment to the underlying problems of us A) Being a small club and 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> Not attracting or having the financial muscle to bring in bigger and better players.

I struggle to see the point of playing an 18 year trialist at centre back last night. We have OB, Keough, Bucks, Naylor as the top four choices, with Galinski and [size=5]Kwame Thomas[/size] in reserve. I think most of us would agree that we would all like another top class centre back to partner Keough but thats not going to happen so we need to work with Bucks or OB. I see no value in having an 18 year trialist though?

James Caton - Unless there are other reasons, again, if he isn't good enough for Bolton, why would he be good enough for us?

The result last night is irrespective - whether we had won 4-0 or lost 4-0 I wouldn't be concerned about the scoreline. However, I do worry Clough will talk in the press about looking at the kids as a distraction to the fact we won't be signing many more experienced pro's....

He is a striker, I guess you mean Josh Lelan?

I don't understand your logic here, many players slip through the net at their first club for various reasons. Shouldn't he be given a chance to prove himself? We have nothing to lose, give him a go and see what he can do.

In terms of the 'smokescreen' you refer to, yes, maybe we are holding back on bringing in a striker but so are many other clubs. We need Davies to leave until we can bring in, that's how I see it anyway...

I missed this comment! How long have you been watching football, may I ask? And if you've been watching it for long, how have you not understood how it works?

I'm sorry to take this tone but what you're saying here is so unnecessarily negative and ill-thought out it's ridiculous.

Surely you understand about trialists, trying players out, letting them train to see how they get on, how a pre-season friendly is just that, how one manager may mis-judge a player's ability or how he may not fit in or suit his playing style or tactics.

Michael Owen was released by Everton, Kevin Phillips was released by Southampton, D.J Campbell was released by Aston Villa - players can 'blossom' later than other players or just simply get released, this was the case with Lelan, he was described as a 'late blossomer' and may have been released by another club at 16, but Derby gave him until 18, and he's now realised his potential

Duracell

I think you're missing my point which I thought was highlighted by the title of the thread!!!

Why are we not looking at potential signings who can make a first team impact - sorry - but no 18 year old Swedish guy released by a club in Switzerland is going to go into our first team and make an impact straight away.

Aluko just signed by Hull, McFadden, etc are players I'd like to see playing in these games. I'm not naive enough to think that a lot of them would reject playing in games for risk of injury, but still, I'd sooner want to see this than us wasting time on a young kid from Sweden. (I prefer local talent coming through)

Thanks to those who spotted my Thomas v Lelan error.

Duracell

I think you're missing my point which I thought was highlighted by the title of the thread!!!

Why are we not looking at potential signings who can make a first team impact - sorry - but no 18 year old Swedish guy released by a club in Switzerland is going to go into our first team and make an impact straight away.

Aluko just signed by Hull, McFadden, etc are players I'd like to see playing in these games. I'm not naive enough to think that a lot of them would reject playing in games for risk of injury, but still, I'd sooner want to see this than us wasting time on a young kid from Sweden. (I prefer local talent coming through)

can i just point out your other error?? he's Swiss not swedish!!

Michael Owen was released by Everton, Kevin Phillips was released by Southampton, D.J Campbell was released by Aston Villa - players can 'blossom' later than other players or just simply get released, this was the case with Lelan, he was described as a 'late blossomer' and may have been released by another club at 16, but Derby gave him until 18, and he's now realised his potential

Which club?

Caton sounds like a useful addition from all accounts.

Besides, how many times were we complaining last year that we had no plan B because of the lack of talented wingers? He'll give us a completely different dimension.

Re the Swiss lad, can't comment, haven't seen him. I expect Lelan and Galinski to start coming through this season, but there's no guarantee that they'll do so as effectively as Hendrick and OB last season though. Without them it leaves us with OB, Keogh and Bucko. Brayford can play there but then that takes away from the RB position.

Duracell

Duracell

I think we would all like to see the type of players you mentioned in your post, but none of these players would come to a club on trial because their quality has already been well publicised, and IF they did want to come to Derby do you really think we could afford their wages? We do have adequate cover for defensive positions with Galinski and Leylan.

What a stupid post, we have trialists every pre-season like pretty much every other club does. No harm in having a look at a couple of young plyers for a couple of weeks, and it's not going to cost anything, it's not a smokescreen at all.

How is a trialist in a friendly a smoke screen for anything!? It's football, every club does it.

Jeez, talk about trying to find negatives! I can't believe the reaction to a pre-season friendly we've just had.

Well said. Beggars belief... ay up..its moany old Derby. Famous for moaning we are.

Duracell

I get that side, but I don't see how triallists are smoke screens. Players 'on trial' are always low-key affairs, the ones that will be on the fringes. Few major signings are completed with trials beforehand. These triallists are 'nothing to lose' sorta things, diverting no attention away from our efforts to get in a new striker (and shift Davies beforehand). A smoke screen would be something massive, a big stunt to divert our attention - about half the people at the game probably didn't even know there were triallists playing, so it's not much of a diversion of attention.

As for bringing through local talent, we're doing more than our fair share. No harm in taking on a foreigner for a cheeky trial every now and then.

I know most clubs this time of year will be looking at trialists but I can't help but feel this is a smokescreen at the moment to the underlying problems of us A) Being a small club players.

We are NOT a small club. We are big club with penny pinching owners who refuse to splash the cash to get us back to where we rightfully belong. That is what leads to so much frustration from some of the fans.

Duracell

Having young lads on trial and signing a CF to improve the team now, aren't mutually exclusive. Just because when Davies goes we need to sign a decent CF when Davies goes, doesn't mean everything else is out of the window.

Archived