Youngsters on Trial is a Smokescreen

rammieib

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK - I retract a little from first post but I do think people get too excited by seeing a number of young trialists, see something they like against a team like Mansfield and suddenly think that they could be a plan B.

Its another summer where to date (I accept there are a few weeks still to go) we have sold Shackell, Addison, Maguire, released Green, and bough in three players and if you look at the money saved or bought in versus total cost output - it'll be break even only. So we're still left with some incredibly wealthy owners, who will not finance a push for us to achieve top 6. (Yet be told publicly, we want to be top 6)

Sold released or loaned out 5 players, of them only 2 were first team regulars. The number of outs or players on the books that aren't being used is coming down each year whilst the squad is not being weekend.

Typo Dav? Or a dig at the lack of weekend games this coming season.....

Trailists can be good business for clubs. You try before you buy, they come in, probably for little or no money, start in the development squad, perhaps on a 2 yr deal, if they break into the first team they are offered a contract, sold for a nice profit, or if they are not going anywhere released. Sensible way to develop a youth team imho.

I remember a young lad from Ireland writing to every club in England asking for a trial. Including Derby County.

I remember the only club who took a chance on him had a Clough in charge. I remember the passion he had cos he'd been cast aside at 18 years old.

I remember him playing most games as if he had something to prove to someone.

I remember him going on to be arguably the best dominating central midfelder the premier league has seen.

I remember him doing all that for different clubs than the rams and I remember it could easily have been the rams who got him.

Trialists should always be welcomed. It costs nowt to see if they've got something. it sounds so far like this Swiss lad is trying his balls off to prove we should take a chance. Nowt wrong with that in my eyes.

I know most clubs this time of year will be looking at trialists but I can't help but feel this is a smokescreen at the moment to the underlying problems of us A) Being a small club and 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> Not attracting or having the financial muscle to bring in bigger and better players.

I struggle to see the point of playing an 18 year trialist at centre back last night. We have OB, Keough, Bucks, Naylor as the top four choices, with Galinski and Kwame Thomas in reserve. I think most of us would agree that we would all like another top class centre back to partner Keough but thats not going to happen so we need to work with Bucks or OB. I see no value in having an 18 year trialist though?

James Caton - Unless there are other reasons, again, if he isn't good enough for Bolton, why would he be good enough for us?

The result last night is irrespective - whether we had won 4-0 or lost 4-0 I wouldn't be concerned about the scoreline. However, I do worry Clough will talk in the press about looking at the kids as a distraction to the fact we won't be signing many more experienced pro's....

I disagree with all of this post, but particularly the bold.

Players will work out at some clubs and won't at others. Attitude, systems the manager uses, players in the pecking order, all are contributing factors. Caton might just fit the way we want to play next season perfectly, and maybe he doesn't at Bolton. You can't really look at where he is, where he's going and make a decision on whether he's good enough based on that.

In addition to that, I would imagine financially there's huge pressure on Bolton to get promoted again this season, and they'll probably want a team of experienced pros to get them there, like West Ham. If that is the case, Caton's face might not fit, whereas youth is a route we clearly go down.

I can understand the frustration behind the original post. Every other club in the championship looks like it has made signings to make them stronger and I'm not sure we have. The players we have brought in are replacements we hope are like-for-like but there hasn't been one to set the pulses racing.

Our Transfer News thread is pretty dull reading - even the fabricated rumours are mediocre! We should, however, remember that the plan is not to go up this year. It therefore makes sense to maximise the resources we currently have available, thus keeping wages and expenditure down. When the core of the young side has matured, we will presumably bring in the calibre of player needed for a promotion push. There are enough teams already who have overstretched themselves without us joining them. When you get to the premiership, you need £20M minimum in transfer dealings to strengthen the squad.

It therefore makes sense to give the youngsters a chance and hope there's a gem amongst them.

'Every other club in the championship looks like it has made signings to make them stronger....'

Like who? You mean the superstars bought by Forest and Leeds?

'The players we have brought in are replacements we hope are like-for-like but there hasn't been one to set the pulses racing....'

Have you seen Jacobs, Coutts etc play yet?

'Every other club in the championship looks like it has made signings to make them stronger....'

Like who? You mean the superstars bought by Forest and Leeds?

'The players we have brought in are replacements we hope are like-for-like but there hasn't been one to set the pulses racing....'

Have you seen Jacobs, Coutts etc play yet?

I wouldn't be surprised one squat if this time in 6 months Coutts is our best player - in terms of ability on the ball, you can see it a mile away even with his first touch and the way he runs with the ball.

Paul Green when he used to run with the ball used to remind me

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5319/7167838840_04e9dd1ba4_b

whereas Coutts seems to be able to glide with the ball, can stop it dead regardless of what ball is played to him.

He looks really, really good. one to watch.

I wouldn't be surprised one squat if this time in 6 months Coutts is our best player - in terms of ability on the ball, you can see it a mile away even with his first touch and the way he runs with the ball.

Paul Green when he used to run with the ball used to remind me

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5319/7167838840_04e9dd1ba4_b

whereas Coutts seems to be able to glide with the ball, can stop it dead regardless of what ball is played to him.

He looks really, really good. one to watch.

But I did see him use the outside of the foot to control it a couple of time 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Archived