Make better use of the loan system?

Ambitious

Rather than a rant, was just wanting to make a suggestion and find opinion amongst the Derby fans. I think the loan system is very wrong, it allows teams a bail out clause if they get into trouble, not to mention anyone... '

http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

However, while this system is in place I would like to see us try and make the most of it because the past we haven't, when we got promoted with Birmingham and Sunderland they relied on loan players , as have Blackpool in the past! so it does work, and I would like to see us use this to our advantage to perhaps get 2-3 long term loans this season to then have a full year - who knows in 12 months time could lead to us getting a cut deal price for a half decent player.

Also worked well with Ward, Theo and Frankie so we're not alien to the concept!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loans can do several things, but I've always seen there as being three types:

1. Short term cover for injuries and depth

2. Players who you wish to buy, but want to "test drive" or so to speak

3. Good players you'll never sign permanently

To me, as we stand, 1 and 2 are fine, but I don't really see the need for 3. We have young players coming through and a young squad overall, why bring in a loanee unless we really need to? It might make the team better in the short term, but if we sign a player who will never sign permanently, unless its that last push to get us over the line for promotion, I don't see the value in it.

Loans can do several things, but I've always seen there as being three types:

1. Short term cover for injuries and depth

2. Players who you wish to buy, but want to "test drive" or so to speak

3. Good players you'll never sign permanently

To me, as we stand, 1 and 2 are fine, but I don't really see the need for 3. We have young players coming through and a young squad overall, why bring in a loanee unless we really need to? It might make the team better in the short term, but if we sign a player who will never sign permanently, unless its that last push to get us over the line for promotion, I don't see the value in it.

I feel that we should do everything in our power to improve the squad and give ourselves a better chance of finishing higher - therefore the loan system works and if it works well for instance Seb Larsson then you can pull a good player in that you wouldn't usually be able to get.

It's a gamble, but loans can be a good way of improving the squad at little cost. I would like to see a Chris Wood type player come in, think we would benefit from that with the chance of making it permanent at of the loan period!

I know Clough doesn't like loan signings and they don't really fit in with the plans he has but I'd like to see a season long loan signing or 2. Could be an option in January if we need that extra bit of firepower, Jason Robertsesque.

In terms of a CF I think its a must.

Like others have said, many other clubs have benefitted from long term loan deals, with players they would never be able to sign. (whether that be a young up n comer from a prem team, who is never for sale, or whether it be a club who simply cannot afford what would be the transfer fee).

Many fans on here, and certainly the roger davies' of this world who just "dont like" loan deals, need to get with the real world.

Now that players leave on bosmans all the time, I dont think having a player permanently at your club carries any more weight anymore.

Id fancy getting anyone onloan who is quality in the wide midfield / forward areas.

i dont have any doubt that we will be as hard workign and organised as any other team.

I just want us to go to the next level by actually having some quality in the side!

Long time loans should be thought beforehand. If we know we need four new players a couple of those positions should be scouted early on so we could get the loanees in when the season starts. That way they would gel with the team better.

Long time loans should be thought beforehand. If we know we need four new players a couple of those positions should be scouted early on so we could get the loanees in when the season starts. That way they would gel with the team better.

Exactly in all honesty, I would make use of what I've got - some players won't be interested in moving here for the bit part but with the 7 sub rule back then it's plausible that we could make them at least a squad place, we're not exactly lavished in places.

If Savies and Bailey go, we can upto 4 long term loans (is that right) I would just try and bring 4 players in to get in with the squad for the year, rather than wait for it to go tits up and then panic and try and bring someone in on a thursday and straight first team saturday.

Sound's like a good idea although how many of our loan's have worked out in the past few years? Off the top of my head Leon osmon, Lupoli? Maybe you could include theo, ward and fielding, but as a general rule we seem to be terrible in the loan market! Or correct me if I've missed something?

Sound's like a good idea although how many of our loan's have worked out in the past few years? Off the top of my head Leon osmon, Lupoli? Maybe you could include theo, ward and fielding, but as a general rule we seem to be terrible in the loan market! Or correct me if I've missed something?

Yes, but same with making permanent signings if scouted correctly then you'll be fine. I sometimes think loan players are brought in on reputation alone.

These will be high profile loans this season - baring any first team movement like Bridge to Brighton.

Benik Afobe - Arsenal striker - short loan at reading last season

Robbie Brady - Man Utd Midfielder - was on loan at Hull last season

Will Keane - Man Utd Striker

Raheem Sterling - Liverpool winger

Danny Wilson - Liverpool centre back - short loan at Blackpool last season

Jack Robinson - Liverpool Left back

Denis Suarez - Man City attacking midfielder

Karim Rekik - Man City Left sided centre back - short loan at Pompey last season

Reece Wabara - All round man city defender - short loan at Ipswich last season

Will be the picks from the rich clubs, would say big clubs but man city are hardly that - would take a chance on some of these, Blackpool did and prevailed with Tom Ince signed for around 50k and he will probably be the best winger in the division next season (for my money anyway)

Archived