Glick comes out of hiding

Day

To put it another way my pint pot remains half-empty no way half-full.That may be because i'm a

grumpy old man or even an alcoholic or possibly both.That is an apt analogy because right now

its hi ho hi ho Derby beer festival here i go!!(slightly off-topic)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glick has made two pertinent points today.

One. "insists the money will ALL be spent on strengthening the squad".

That's positive but will he stick to his word?

Two. "We hope fans will judge us in six weeks when the season starts and nine weeks when the transfer window closes."

That's just annoying. We've gone from 'we won't sell Shackell until a replacement is lined up' to 'we will have replacements by the time the season starts' to 'we will have replacements in by the time the transfer window opens'.

Talk about moving the goalposts.

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18825367]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18825367

So the only way they will fail is if we go into administration?

Is that the limit of your ambition, to stay out of admin?

Every board in our history, even the most crooked and incompetent have managed that.

Martyn, this board were not left a bad hand. The club was in a healthy financial position when they took over. Then they sanctioned Jewell's poor buys on higher wages and longer contracts than their abilities warranted. They have had to clean up their own mess, not a mess they inherited.

So the only way they will fail is if we go into administration?

Is that the limit of your ambition, to stay out of admin?

Every board in our history, even the most crooked and incompetent have managed that.

sorry, not quite true, we did 2003 for one day. Before points deduction came into force.well the holding company derby county plc did. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administration_(British_football)#section_3

The next day the 3 amigos took over

Martyn, this board were not left a bad hand. The club was in a healthy financial position when they took over. Then they sanctioned Jewell's poor buys on higher wages and longer contracts than their abilities warranted. They have had to clean up their own mess, not a mess they inherited.

I think you will find there were a few others already here on stupid wages and contracts before the Americans appeared on the scene.

Absolutely agree G STAR RAM, but they were funded by our promotion to the Premier League. I'm not saying Jimmy Krankie didn't make bad signings but he earn't the right by getting promotion. The real madness was done under this board and Jewell.

Glick has made two pertinent points today.

One. "insists the money will ALL be spent on strengthening the squad".

That's positive but will he stick to his word?

That is the minimum you'd really expect. They'd be accused of asset stripping otherwise to reduce their losses.

Absolutely agree G STAR RAM, but they were funded by our promotion to the Premier League. I'm not saying Jimmy Krankie didn't make bad signings but he earn't the right by getting promotion. The real madness was done under this board and Jewell.

Surely a large proportion of the parachute payments was used to buy the players in the first place?

I certainly won't argue that Jewell put a big dent in our finances.

Find it strange that our board get slated for not giving us money to spend on players but when they did they were accused of madness.

G STAR RAM it depends who you sign though. Clough has largely bought players with sell on value so no risk. I think the board should invest in the squad and should have done in the last two seasons when we were in good positions. Investing and spending are different things. Value for money is key. Clough has signed value for money players. Jewell didn't.

Yes Adam Pearson was still here for a while under this board while expensive rubbish was being signed. The board had ultimate sign off though.

There was a big difference between the "board" with Adam Pearson and without Adam Pearson, Pearson was Chairman of Football, so signed things off, he left and Appleby became chairman and the cut backs started

Yes that is true. They were daft enough to listen and trust Pearson and Jewell. Are you suprised they are doing it a different way now? As I keep saying....................

I'm more than a bit fed up of wading through fans who seem to be more focused on spend than performance. At this level you cannot buy success like you can in the Premier League. The stars that make the real difference won't play at this level. In this division big spend usually means ex-prem on the way down or nearly men like Commons for instance.

I can see what the club and Nigel are about. I hope they get it right and I will give them my whole hearted support to achieve it. I am excited to see how this new young hungry squad perform. If losing Shackell is causing all this misery just remember he wasn't all that. Couldn't pass and didn't do enough in the other penalty area for me. Personally I hope we get the lad Pearce from Notts County. Good footballer. Can actually pass!

I wasn't saying that. The board have to deal with a bad hand because the owners wanted to "make an impression" in that first January transfer window and of the other things out of their control that were previously mentioned.

I wasn't referring to the LoG at all.

Yes Adam Pearson was still here for a while under this board while expensive rubbish was being signed. The board had ultimate sign off though.

So you think the board were wrong to give Jewell money? Surely you would want the board to back your manager?

Sorry just read your subsequent post.

Kind of understand your point but it is not like we have made any significant profit on any Clough signings.

Archived