Glick comes out of hiding

Day

CHIEF executive Tom Glick has told angry Derby County supporters the decision to sell Jason Shackell is part of a plan to improve the squad overall.

The club came under fire last week after Shackell joined Burnley for an undisclosed fee, thought to be £1.1m.

Selling the defender, who was ever-present last season, and selling him to a Championship rival for such a fee outraged fans.

Glick, who was unavailable for comment at the time, spoke to the Derby Telegraph yesterday and explained the thinking behind the transfer.

He said the club and their American owners were aware of the fans' anger and revealed why the fee was undisclosed.

He also answered accusations that the club "lacked ambition" and asked supporters to judge once the summer transfer business had been completed.

"We always knew selling Jason Shackell was going to be an unpopular decision," said Glick.

"He played every game for us last season and was a popular player with the fans.

"We thought long and hard about it before making the decision.

"Ultimately, our objective has been and continues to be improving the squad overall and we felt that doing the deal to sell Jason allows us to take the funds generated and the wages saved and reinvest in the centre-half position and a couple of other positions to strengthen us overall.

"Unfortunately, we did not have a centre-half replacement on the same day and so we are taking it on the chin right now.

"We are continuing to pursue targets and feel very confident in our ability to find a replacement and make improvements in other positions."

Last month, Glick described Shackell as an "essential" player who would only be sold if the club's valuation of him was met and they had a suitable replacement lined up.

He also said it would take a lot to prise Shackell away from Derby and he expected the player to be with the Rams at the start of the season.

Fans in their many e-mails and letters to the Telegraph have been reminding Glick of his quotes.

So, why if the club felt it was a good deal, was the fee described as undisclosed?

"As clubs, we tend to get into the habit of that," he said.

"I think the biggest reason why is not to deprive the supporters of information but because we are investing all of it (the fee) back into the squad.

"We are now in the market negotiating to bring players in. If another club, player or agent has a perception that we have a certain pot of money, that can be used against us."

Shackell joined Derby from Barnsley in a reported £750,000 deal 12 months ago.

Glick confirmed that Barnsley had a sell-on clause in the deal.

"They did, yes," he said. "It would be a small percentage of the net difference. All that was factored into our decision in terms of what the level of fee needed to be."

Answering accusations from some fans that the club lacked ambition, Glick said: "Ambition sometimes gets defined simply on financial terms.

"We have been very clear that we are working to a budget and want a club that can sustain itself.

"We are working hard on generating revenues and we do expect to be competing. We owe it to the supporters to deliver a healthy, self-sustaining club that is also competitive.

"That is the direction we want to take and sometimes that will involve making tough choices, like the one we made on Jason Shackell.

"But there is certainly no lack of ambition. We want to do it in a disciplined way.

"Financial Fair Play is coming and we are getting ready for it immediately. We don't think there is anything wrong with that but it is important supporters know we do want to win."

Derby's squad for the coming season will be missing Shackell, Paul Green, Shaun Barker who is recovering from knee surgery, and probably striker Steve Davies who has been made available for transfer after turning down the offer of a new contract.

The Rams' one new signing so far this summer is Michael Jacobs, a 20-year-old wide player from Northampton Town.

Supporters are voicing their concerns about the season ahead but Glick feels it is too soon for them to start worrying.

"My message to supporters would be to hang on in there," he said.

"There are six weeks to go until the start of the season and we are determined to be a better squad. We are not finished with our work yet on players coming in.

"We completely understand this move (Shackell's transfer) was not popular. At the same time, we have made a move that has been unpopular in an effort to make an improvement overall and give the supporters a better Derby County squad for this season and beyond.

"That is what we are determined to do."

[url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-16521584-detail/story.html?]http://www.thisisder...ail/story.html?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aint he gone Citeh yet !!! ,,, replacing one quality championship player with 3 or 4 lower league players is not progress ( hopefully i am wrong and we sign some experienced players )

Surely we should wait until start of the season? or at least give them the chance to replace him?

He's got all the words but doesn't actually say much.

And to be fair Martyn, you do have to admit Glick hasn't said anything about this sale before now, not to the fans anyway.

"Glick comes out of hiding"?

How childish.

"Glick, who was unavailable for comment at the time, spoke to the Derby Telegraph yesterday and explained the thinking behind the transfer."

This is the first time since he's come out for an interview unless I'm mistaken since the Shackell sale, imo of course he should of come out straight away with this rather than hiding away in his office. Most of it is pretty standard stuff, don't see what the wait was for.

Of course he doesn't but when you sell one of your better players and the local paper asks for a few words for the fans why would you make yourself unavailable? He knew there would be a backlash so stayed away and let the dust settle for a few days. Would of been far better coming out with that straight away, it's all pretty standard stuff.

We have the extraordinary situation whereby our CEO jumps ship but before he goes sells off

our best remaining fit CB for peanuts with no replacement.To cap it all members on this forum

blame Shackell for disloyalty and praise Glick like he is some kind of hero!

I think he should have.

Instead what we get is 'hey, we knew full well we were selling the fans' most popular player because we thought long & hard about it - but guess what? As usual you're the last to know. Oh and can I point you in the direction of the new 'megastore' and the ST renewal office?'. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

He doens't HAVE to say anything to anyone about it, fair play to him to be honest.

He can't help himself though, and as he has been inundated with Emails its fairly necessary. Fact is he doesn't really answer any questions, but points towards the next 6 weeks. In 6 weeks we will be NO better of than we are now. We have saved on greens wages, I would imagine some at least of crofts, Shackells, plus Shackells 'fee' Maguires wages plus his 'fee' and signed an ok player from lower leagues, unproven at this level. Not good enough. I wait with baited breath...actually I don't need to wait I can see it now....'there wasn't enough value for money in the market, our key targets we missed out on, we will not buy for the sake of it, we have Conor Doyle who can cover LB, CB, and Center Forward.We will be exploring the loan market...hols tight Rams fans for another few months of spin, but hey at least we will be all geared up for financial fair play coming in'

And to be fair Martyn, you do have to admit Glick hasn't said anything about this sale before now, not to the fans anyway.

"Glick, who was unavailable for comment at the time, spoke to the Derby Telegraph yesterday and explained the thinking behind the transfer."

This is the first time since he's come out for an interview unless I'm mistaken since the Shackell sale, imo of course he should of come out straight away with this rather than hiding away in his office. Most of it is pretty standard stuff, don't see what the wait was for.

Which means he was "in hiding"? That's all that rankled, the unnecessary hyperbole.

We have the extraordinary situation whereby our CEO jumps ship but before he goes sells off

our best remaining fit CB for peanuts with no replacement.To cap it all members on this forum

blame Shackell for disloyalty and praise Glick like he is some kind of hero!

I don't think Glick "sold him", if you want to have a dig at someone, it's Clough.

Bit strange to say he didnt have to say anything, he is CEO of a company who has upset a few fans by one of the decisions the club has taken, of course he could have keep quiet, but he is doing his job in trying to calm everything down, problem is most of it is off his own making.

One week he says

"Then, if we felt it did meet our valuation of the player, we would only sell if we had a suitable replacement lined up."

to

"We are continuing to pursue targets and feel very confident in our ability to find a replacement and make improvements in other positions."

I dont really like all the spin that Glick has come out with, but if he did come straight out after the sale, no matter what he said there would of been people slag him off for whatever he said, the man has never been able to say anything right for some people and then he gets employed by the champions of England the man must of been doing something right.

I actually think he talks a bit of sense in there with the reasoning behind the undisclosed fees and that, but the timing is all wrong, it just is. True whatever he had said would of been passed off as spin by some but for those of us with splinters in our arses it would of been nice to hear this within a day or two of the sale.

You can't claim to be open with fans and willing to discuss any issues with us then go all quiet when you have angry fans wanting answers, it's ok if you're one of these that likes to email Appelby and Glick or online and get to read the replies what people post up but what about the thousands of fans that don't? 25k in Pride Park yet there are probably around 5-8k that get to see this stuff online through forums and social media sites.

Would 5mins with the DET really be too much to ask for?

He has been in hiding which is very un-Glick like, is he still as interested now the Man City job is a few weeks away? who knows, but I stand by my childish hyperbole thread title.

Archived