England v Ukraine

froggg

Technically we won the group, technically we were the best of the group, now I'm off to enjoy a technically cold beer and admire my grin in the mirror aimed at all those negative nelly's pre-tournament.

Technical? Don't you mean 'Official'......? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I thought we were 50/50 to get through the group. Thought we might scrape through, but topping the group - get in!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ashley Cole, Lescott were good also.

Cole deserves an England goal, may be a **** off the field but he has been our best left back.

I hope we do improve though.

Good job Harry "Keegan" Redknapp isn't the manager.

Lescott's been one of our best players so far, along with Cole, and Gerrard.

Think Italy will put England out. But I expected England to be beaten in atleast 1 group game!!

Hope Spain wipe that smug grin off Nasri's face. And maybe Iniesta or Xavi will let Ribery clean their boots after the game. But Del Bosque seems obsessed with suprising people with his use of players.

Thought Terry and Lescott and Cole were great for England tonight. Cole has to be good. Only help he gets is when Parker or Gerrard nip over.

Did Young break a sweat?

Italy are beatable. England are beatable. Anyone's game.

Now if only Greece can upset Germany we'll take them in the SFs, and then France again in the final once they've knocked out Spain......

Young didn't offer much. Again. Now we're at this stage of the competition we need more from him. I'd start the Ox on the left.

Poor, poor England side but playing to our strengths and doing the right thing

I'd play Carroll ahead of Welbeck, he's always a handful and offers more than Welbeck imo.

Rooney was utter sh*te tonight, needs to step up if we're to progress further as he can be pure quality on his day unlike our other attacking options.

Still so sad to see Glenn Johnson starting for England, if he's worth 40 caps im worth at least 1.

Just think with all these players being ****e, wait till we click.

It don't say much for these other teams we keep dispatching, if then can not beat usless ****e, technically crap England.

Come on boys, one game at a time.

Rooney hasn't played a full competitive game for a while, rusty yeah it was expected but he needed that game, we don't have time to ease him back in. The goal would of given him that extra confidence boost

Feck me, if you read through this thread you would be surprised to know that we topped the group, unbeaten and just beat the hosts 1 nil.

It appears that people are expecting us to fail so they can gloat in the failure rather than hoping we can win, we got a clean sheet tonight against the host nation, didn't look in to much trouble with the expection of the "offside" goal, and finished higher than France who many fancied to win the tournament.

We are looking good, let's hope it continues.

I think the only reason we took him off was to make sure he didn't overdo it.

Might be worth trying him alongside Carroll against Italy. Didn't seem to click with Welbeck, which is surprising given that they've played together for a good proportion of the season at Utd.

Has anyone else noticed the imbalance and unfairness of the draw.Groups A&B are pants look what we have

Germany V Greece;Portugal V Czech Rep.Hardly compares to England,Italy,France,Spain.I might be mardy

but theres no comparison.I dont mean to be anti German but they get the easiest draw every tournament

barstewards.

You can only beat what is put in front of you..2 wins and a draw is a great return...

however you look at it, This is the first time in years that we have had a group of players

ready/prepared to 'die for the cause'

GET BEHIND THEM..COME ON ENGLAND !!

Has anyone else noticed the imbalance and unfairness of the draw.Groups A&B are pants look what we have

Germany V Greece;Portugal V Czech Rep.Hardly compares to England,Italy,France,Spain.I might be mardy

but theres no comparison.I dont mean to be anti German but they get the easiest draw every tournament

barstewards.

If Russia and Holland had got through instead of Czech and Greece it would have looked fairly even.

No matter now. Time for Roy to use all his experience, stay calm and decide his strategy for Italy on Sunday.

Personally, I would seriously consider starting the Ox in place of Young. Otherwise, Sir Roy has done nowt wrong.

Joe Hart - world class tonight, top, top keeper, potential match winner.

Glen Johnson - growing stronger and more confident every game - good athlete, looks dangerous when he gets forward.

Cashley - superb, rarely gets beaten, great attitude.

Lescott - solid as a rock, decent distribution, great awareness - follows up shots on goal to snuff out any chance of rebounds etc.

Terry - like Lescott, solid, hardworking, talking and cajoling, puts his body on the line when it matters

Milner - grafter, does the dirty work, closes down, keeps the shape. Every team needs unselfish workhorses.

Parker - looks a bit lightweight at times but is growing into his partnership with Gerrard. Team player.

Gerrard - Takes responsibility, tackles, covers, passes, leads by example. Whips in undefendable crosses

Young - just seems to lack a bit of confidence and decision making.

Wellbeck - doesn't quite have the pace, strength or ability to hold the ball to really trouble defences but is capable of nicking a goal

Rooney - bit rusty but his touch and match fitness will be better against Italy

Oxlade-Chamberlain - looks composed and confident, strong, willing, not many defenders want to face him, potential match winner.

Walcott - pace, directness, impact of the bench, can change a game in a heart beat

Carroll - great physical presence, if nowts working against Italy take Wellbeck off and tell Andy to "get into 'em"

I'm excited to play Italy.. The only big team we haven't faced in a major during my lifetime..

But seriously guys get a grip.. We were outplayed by France and struggled to beat 2 of the poorest teams in the competition in Sweden and France.. We play exactly like a Billy Davies side and it's only a mater of time before we get found out..

Also how is this our best chance to win the tournament? In 2004, 2006 we made it further and had a better team and an easier route to the final.. Had we beaten Portugal in 2004 we would have had Holland(?) and then Greece..

Seriously, if we beat Italy (which will be difficult) then we play Germany.. If we somehow made it to the final it's one of Portugal, Spain or France.. France was the best team we've played so far and we never looked like winning in a million years.. Germany, Spain and Portugal are currently in far better form and I dount we'd beat France should we face them again..

Archived