Cloughie's brand new squad

PrivateDerby

People seem to forget that it was bryson and Hendricks first season in the championship they'll be better next year for it and are both only young. Bailey is good back up but is very similar too them and doesn't offer anything different hes also the most valuable player outside the starting 11. We'll sell him to get an experienced midfield general

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People seem to forget that it was bryson and Hendricks first season in the championship they'll be better next year for it and are both only young. Bailey is good back up but is very similar too them and doesn't offer anything different hes also the most valuable player outside the starting 11. We'll sell him to get an experienced midfield general

No we wont, because we wont pay the wages that they would demand

Bailey being similar to them shouldn't be a problem if he's acting as cover?

Depth. We never have enough depth. We asked a lot of our youngsters this year.

The budget is *****. It's a underwhelming Championship budget that we're hoping will produce an overwhelming Championship squad.

We want to get promoted and become a global brand But only with a squad of 8 players and a wage cap of £20.

Still..... "At least we're not like Pompey"

Glick would point at a Zombie and say "at least he's still able to walk"

I'm worried that last summer was a big summer to prove themselves...... This summer there's been no such talk.

Too early to be too critical, but at the moment we're weak.

Ideally we would keep bailey, Im just saying with the money or lack of clough has he probably can't afford to have 3 players that good who are very similar and will need to sell him to improve weaker positions obviously if we get an injury there were screwed!

That what niggles me. In an ideal world we'd keep Bailey for cover, send Maguire on loan again etc.

Instead the restraints are forcing us to "not let players leave for free" and having to move them on too early at the possible expense of leaving us short of options.

Hendrick was only playing because we couldn't buy another "2 or 3... (players short)" last season. Now more are going and this wage bill is tight as fook.

I think the wage bill is unreasonable for what are apparently our objectives.

I think Nigel should offload useless players before decent subs. And stop having his favourite little soldiers (Tyson, Pearson, Bavies, Moore, Savage) getting ahead of the so called bad attitudes. It's about getting a job done IMO not all bed sharing.

IMO. Might sound like a harsh rant but I don't mean it to. Just concerned about these early signals.

I agree, I think Bailey's asking for a big pay increase because he's proven he can handle the championship, when maybe we offered him a league 1 player contract in case things didn't work out.

Glick has mentioned in the past that we are going to have to reduce the wage bill of the likes of Leacock, Bywater, Varney that were still on our books longer than anticipated last season, which cost the club £3 million, hence why there doing the best to get rid of the players that arent going to play a role at the club, rather then letting them sit around and do nothing. Last season, we would not have noticed if Addison was there or not, the same applies to Croft, Maguire and in some cases Bailey, as Hendrick and Bryson did play the majority of the games together. If these players combined (Croft, Bailey, Maguire and Addison) are on £20,000 a week, it would make sense to get rid of them which would not only bring in capital from there but also save the club £1 million over the season. We'd have a tighter squad, and allow us to bring in 1 or 2 players that would compete for places, whereas these players didn't get a look in for one thing or another.

-------------------------------------------Fielding/Legzdins---------------------------------------

-----Brayford/Naylor-----Buxton/O'Brien------Shackell/Lelan------Roberts/*New*------

------Jacobs/Davies-----------Hendrick/Hughes-------Bryson/New?-------Ward/Tyson----

-------------------------------Robinson/Ball-------------New/Bennett---------------------------

Seems like a pretty small squad, and a few injuries in certain areas would stretch us, but we seem to have quite a lot of versatility in the team, such as Ward can play on either wing and upfront, Hughes again can play in the middle or wide right. Most players can cover 3 positions, so maybe with this tight budget, Clough is looking for players that can play numerous positions if we are hit by injuries. Would be nice to see 3 or 4 players bought in, 2 Strikers, Right winger and a left back for peace of mind.

It's good that he's identified who's moving on already. On the face of it I don't necessarily agree with all of them but I'm not the manager, and I don't know what goes on so it's difficult to pass too much judgement. Planning for what we need this early is a good sign, in my opinion.

The squad looks weaker but it's obviously not going to stay that way, there will be activity both ways.

It's alright saying in an ideal world we'd keep Bailey, I wonder if his heart would be in it if he was a bit part player? That was the case last season and I don't think he was that good, what suggests he's going to be any better? Also I can't see how we can justify giving him a big pay bump based on last season, there were many ahead in the queue based on performances.

Sure our squad looked weak this time 12 months ago when we had players like O'Brien, Bennett, Ball and Hendrick in there - what's to say another one or two youth players come through and fill in as admirably as the aforementioned did last season?

Unfortunately, that's the great unknown doing things the way we're doing them at the moment. I'd say that Hendrick has made a signifcant contribution to the strength of the playing squad this season that we never thought we'd get last year. Whilever we are looking at quite of lot of youth names, it looks weaker than it probably (hopefully) is.

This is fustrating, but if you cast your minds back to when we sold Hulse, it was far more disastrous. And yet we still improved that year without bringing in any kind of replacement.

I'm not overly concerned yet because it all depends on who we bring in. I'm generally happy with the vast majority of Clough's signings and if our outgoings bring in some money - which, for once, they should do - Nigel will actually be able to spend money on transfer fees.

Could work, or it might not. I intend to enjoy my summer so I won't worry about it all too much in any instance.

Weather's good isn't it?

Hold on. Agree with the sale of Bailey or not it doesn't matter but where do people get these assertions about wage demands and the board not sanctioning a new contract from? That's idle speculation to help move any criticism away from Nigel.

I agree, I think Bailey's asking for a big pay increase because he's proven he can handle the championship, when maybe we offered him a league 1 player contract in case things didn't work out.

Glick has mentioned in the past that we are going to have to reduce the wage bill of the likes of Leacock, Bywater, Varney that were still on our books longer than anticipated last season, which cost the club £3 million, hence why there doing the best to get rid of the players that arent going to play a role at the club, rather then letting them sit around and do nothing. Last season, we would not have noticed if Addison was there or not, the same applies to Croft, Maguire and in some cases Bailey, as Hendrick and Bryson did play the majority of the games together. If these players combined (Croft, Bailey, Maguire and Addison) are on £20,000 a week, it would make sense to get rid of them which would not only bring in capital from there but also save the club £1 million over the season. We'd have a tighter squad, and allow us to bring in 1 or 2 players that would compete for places, whereas these players didn't get a look in for one thing or another.

-------------------------------------------Fielding/Legzdins---------------------------------------

-----Brayford/Naylor-----Buxton/O'Brien------Shackell/Lelan------Roberts/*New*------

------Jacobs/Davies-----------Hendrick/Hughes-------Bryson/New?-------Ward/Tyson----

-------------------------------Robinson/Ball-------------New/Bennett---------------------------

Seems like a pretty small squad, and a few injuries in certain areas would stretch us, but we seem to have quite a lot of versatility in the team, such as Ward can play on either wing and upfront, Hughes again can play in the middle or wide right. Most players can cover 3 positions, so maybe with this tight budget, Clough is looking for players that can play numerous positions if we are hit by injuries. Would be nice to see 3 or 4 players bought in, 2 Strikers, Right winger and a left back for peace of mind.

Funny,in item 7 of your report on the Q&A thread you said that these players had cost the club in excess of £1m in wages (a little different to £3m,which translates to £6m for a whole year,as they were ditched in January).How did Varney figure-we ditched him in July?

The £1m+ intrigues me,as even that implies over £2m for the year(in terms of wages of those mentioned).Presumably,if these players had been ditched earlier we'd have been back on budget.The big problem I have with this is that I thought we'd been told that we couldn't bring in the couple of extra players needed without first shifting others.......but even shifting them would only put us back on budget,so any further additions would have taken us over budget.

In the January window Gibson asked Glick if the ditching of Leacock,Bywater and Pearson would bring us back on budget (or even make room for a signing).Glick didn't give an immediate answer,but said we could save this or that and it would be unlikely to bring us back on budget.But surely,if we're now being told we were £1m+ over budget (having ditched players in January),then his answer should have been instant,i.e we'd be well over budget whatever happened.

He went on to say that Sharp would be out of our range,but if Nigel could identify another 'Bryson' in that window we could do business.But surely this would have taken us even further over budget?

If we get rid of the players mentioned and fail to bring in adequate replacements it will be a bumpy and worrying year. That squad doesn't look good, we need a center back while barker is out. While Buxton did wonderfully for parts of last season I seriously doubt he can keep it up all year. Tyson, ward, brayford, roberts all have potential to become easily injured and then we have little cover. Also Ben davies is ineffectual against any left back in the division and looks poor. It seems as soon as we start building there is a mass exodus and we have to start again. Let us wait until the season begins and then see where we are, if it is that though I will not enjoy coming down from Lancaster/York. Along with the need for a striker or two it seems we need to strengthen almost every area of the team.

Clough definitely needs to work some miracles but then again we should bring in more money than we have before on outgoings so if he gets it to spend I'm pretty confident he'll work some magic. It does worry me that he thinks we'll be fine without Barker but then again we defended well with O'Brien and Shackell at the start of the season

I'm assuming Clough has already identified his targets and is looking to make some space for them. They're most likely to be cheaper alternatives with a similar amount of ability. We know he's capable of making that work, so I say just be patient and wait it out. Ages to go yet, whole of euro 2012 and the London olympics to enjoy.

SillyBilly

I got bored just reading the names of the squad out let alone contemplating the prospect of watching them. Midtable again will be a good season indeed if Nigel can pull something out the bag once more.With little to no money, no evidence of a scouting network further than Scotland, looks like we'll see what "value" there is in the free transfers alongside trying to figure out what to spend our self-generated 500k warchest on.

SillyBilly

They're most likely to be cheaper alternatives with a similar amount of ability.

Nice. It'd be great to finish 12th again next year having spent less. Now that would be progress. Gives us something to look forward to.

Archived