Michael Jacobs

Chris Peduck

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2765677,00.html

Derby County have made their first summer signing by swooping to sign talented Northampton Town midfielder Michael Jacobs.

The wideman, who is 20 and can perform on either flank, opted for Derby, despite strong interest from a number of npower Championship and Premier League clubs after rising through the ranks at Sixfields to become a regular member of their first-team squad.

He has put pen-to-paper on a three-year deal with Nigel Clough's side, starting from 1 July 2012, and although Jacobs is out of contract with Aidy Boothroyd's side this summer, as he is under the age of 24, the Rams will have to pay a compensation fee for his services and an undisclosed sum has been agreed between the two clubs.

Clough said: "We're delighted to secure Michael's signature as he's a player we indentified some time ago as someone who would be a very good addition to our squad, and over the last two years he's been one of the best players in the lower leagues.

"He's a young lad, but already he has plenty of first-team experience at Northampton behind him and we feel he has plenty of potential, which we believe he can fulfil it in a Derby County shirt.

"Michael fits in well with the sort of player we're looking to bring into the Club, and we're delighted he's chosen Derby County after hearing what we've had to say and having a look around the Club.

"We've had to be patient in getting this deal done, but we're very happy to get it over the line."

Load Of Cobblers: Michael Jacobs came through the ranks at Northampton before heading to Pride Park

Jacobs, who turns 21 in November, is a product of Northampton's youth system and made his debut for the Club back in October 2009, in the side's 2-1 home victory over AFC Bournemouth in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. His first goal came at the start of the following season in Northampton's Carling Cup win over Brighton & Hove Albion.

Jacobs shot to prominence in the 2010-11 season at Sixfields after scoring at Anfield when the Cobblers overcame Premier League giants Liverpool in the Carling Cup Third Round on penalties after battling out a 2-2 draw.

He went on to score eight goals in 36 league and cup starts that season and emerged as a key performer; attracting the attention of the England under-21 scouts before picking up the Player of the Year Award.

The creative midfielder finished the 2011-12 campaign with seven goals and 10 assists to his name and was named the club's Player of the Year for the second consecutive season, beating off stiff competition from top scorer Adebayo Akinfenwa and defender Kelvin Langmead.

In total he made exactly 100 appearances for the Cobblers, scoring on 15 occasions.

Jacobs will meet his new Derby County team-mates when the players report back for pre-season training on 12th July at Moor Farm Training Ground.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just about to post it but you beat me to it. Ah well best finish feeding the baby and go back to sleep. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Well I think you made the right choice pal! Whats other half doing??? Shouldnt she be doing such things??? Or have your breasts got the same bennifits as hers???

I hope it works out better for him than it's done for past players.

Welcome to the club Mr Jacobs, we'll give you a warm welcome at PP when the new season kicks off.

MICHAEL Jacobs is relishing the chance to prove himself at Championship level after completing his move to Derby County – and believes he can help the Rams get back into the Premier League.

Jacobs has signed a three-year deal with the Rams following his departure from boyhood club Northampton Town.

1. http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/images/localpeople/ugc-images/275778/Article/images/16450879/3910672
    Michael Jacobs with Nigel Clough

The 20-year-old wide midfielder, who can operate on either wing, will officially become a Derby player next week, when his contract at League Two Northampton expires.

The two clubs have avoided a tribunal by agreeing a compensation package for the youngster.

The fee is undisclosed but is believed to be short of the Cobblers' club record of £525,000 paid by Blackburn Rovers for goalkeeper Mark Bunn in September 2008.

Kettering-born Jacobs has been with Northampton since the age of 10 and worked his way up through the ranks to become a first-team regular.

He made exactly 100 appearances for the club, scoring 15 goals, and was named player of the year for the past two seasons.

One of his goals came in a shock Carling Cup win over Roy Hodgson's Liverpool at Anfield and he also netted in the penalty shoot-out that settled the tie.

His form inevitably attracted interest from higher divisions and Jacobs revealed he turned down offers from two other Championship clubs – Charlton Athletic and Peterborough United – in order to join Derby.

"This is a fantastic move for me and I'm delighted to get it done," he told the Telegraph.

"I had offers from Charlton and Peterborough as well but as soon as I came to have a look around the facilities at Derby, I knew this was the place for me.

"You only need to look at the set-up. The facilities are Premier League standard and I liked what the manager had to say."

Rams boss Nigel Clough is delighted to have secured his first signing of the summer.

"He's a player we identified some time ago as someone who would be a very good addition to our squad and over the last two years he's been one of the best players in the lower leagues," said Clough.

"He's a young lad but already he has plenty of first-team experience at Northampton behind him and we feel he has plenty of potential, which we believe he can fulfil in a Derby County shirt.

"Michael fits in well with the sort of player we're looking to bring into the club and we're delighted he's chosen Derby County.

"We've had to be patient in getting this deal done but we're very happy to get it over the line."

Jacobs is confident he can thrive in the competitive environment of the Championship.

"I know it's a big step up for me but I've got faith in my ability," he said.

"Obviously, I will be coming up against a lot of good players but I'm looking forward to proving myself at this level.

"I think I'm ready. Obviously, I've got to prove it first.

"Pre-season will be a big thing for me and, hopefully, I can hit the ground running.

"If the gaffer gives me an opportunity, I'll definitely take it with both hands.

"I've proved that before, when I came from the youth team into the first team at Northampton.

"I know it's a different level but I'm confident I can push on."

Ultimately, Jacobs hopes he can reach the top flight with his new club.

"I wouldn't have come here if I didn't think the club could get into the Premier League," he said.

"I've been in a team that has flirted with relegation for the past two seasons and that's not really where you want to be as a footballer.

"You want to be doing well and winning games regularly in the league, and that is why I've come to Derby.

"Hopefully, we can push for promotion this season."

Jacobs felt the time was right to move on from Northampton but thanked his old colleagues for the part they have played in his development.

"I've been at Northampton since I was 10, so it has been a massive part of my life and I owe a lot to them – all the staff, the players and the fans," he said.

"I'm sad to leave but this is the next step in my career now.

"I spoke to my family, my friends and my agent and everyone felt that it was the right time for me to go.

"Even the boys at Northampton thought it was right for me to go because they felt I could test myself at Championship standard – and so did I.

"At the end of the day, you know when it feels right.

"I had the chance to go last summer but I didn't feel I was ready. Now I do."

Looks like we beat the mighty Peterbrough and Charlton to his signature. Not quite prem clubs as Northampton tried to lead us to believe but better tham nothing. Lets hope he is a brayford type signing not a Martin

Well I think you made the right choice pal! Whats other half doing??? Shouldnt she be doing such things??? Or have your breasts got the same bennifits as hers???

baby is bottle fed, unfortunately. She had done the previous 2 feeds so it was only fair i did 1

Well this was Northampton's take... [url=http://www.ntfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10425~2818854,00.html]http://www.ntfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10425~2818854,00.html

It won't let me copy the article, so sorry about that. But it goes on to say that we were the only club who actually bid. Seems like this mad panic to get him in quick before everyone else was nothing much at all.

Comment from their chairman: "Once Michael had spoken to Derby, agreed terms, passed his medical and signed a contract, they became his destination. It was then a case of either going to a tribunal or agreeing a deal with Derby, and eventually we reached a deal that we felt was in the best interests of the club.

"We all wish Michael and Derby well and now this matter has been resolved we have a clearer picture for our own summer recruitment."

does it mean:

a) Derby were a pleasure to deal with and conducted their affairs in a professional manner

b ) I can't believe those idiots fell for it - we've stung them good and proper because they were so desperate

c) I've got too much time on my hands to be even posting this rubbish

Archived