Michael Jacobs

Chris Peduck

From the exotically named Northampton Chronicle & Echo. Don't fancy our chances on this one

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/logger/p?a=1.3769345&d=/2.5729/2.5731/2.16967/2.16968

Northampton Town: Rams raid Cobblers for Jacobs but Cardoza turns down deal

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/webimage/1.3769344.1335338536%21image/3978245279_gen/derivatives/landscape_595/3978245279

Published on Wednesday 25 April 2012 09:00

THE Cobblers have turned down a bid from an npower Championship club – believed to be Derby County – for highly-rated midfielder Michael Jacobs.

The 20-year-old, whose contract at Sixfields expires at the end of the current season, was the subject of a transfer enquiry by Reading last year.

He has also been scouted with increasing regularity by Peterborough United in the past month, with Watford manager Sean Dyche also thought to be monitoring the situation.

Northampton would be well protected if a tribunal was to set Jacobs’ fee as he has been with the club since he was 10, and has enjoyed incremental pay rises during that time.

“We have turned down an offer for Michael,” confirmed Cobblers chairman David Cardoza.

“We know a lot of offers are going to come in for him but he will have the final say in the end.

“I can’t say how much was offered this morning but it was not enough. We’re talking about championship clubs but the season hasn’t finished yet and I’m sure that interest will grow in the next few weeks.

“We’ll cross that bridge if we come to it. Aidy is going to be speaking to Michael and it may well be the case that he wants to stay here for the next year or two.

“We’ve made him a good offer and we hope he stays.

“If the worst comes to the worst we’ll make sure we’re properly compensated for it.”

Although all of the clubs linked with Jacobs at this point are playing in the championship, Cardoza is anticipating some interest from the top level of English football.

The chairman, however, is not convinced the player will definitely leave the club this summer.

“We’re realistic about it and there are some big clubs interested so we’ll see what happens,” he said.

“I would expect Premier League clubs to come in for him, a lot have watched him but we want him to stay here.

“His agents have had our offer, it’s a good offer, and he might decide he wants to stay here and work with Aidy (Boothroyd) for another year.”

Jacobs may not be leaving Sixfields but two players whose departures have been confirmed are Nathaniel Wedderburn and Lewis Young.

Wedderburn played the full 90 minutes at Crawley Town but that was his first appearance for more than a year while Young has slipped out of the first-team picture in recent weeks.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is a very good prospect, I assumed he would beyond our reach in terms of when clubs came knocking, in his first ever season as a professional he would POTY with some ease, and expected to make that a double in his second ever season as a professional this season.

Still only young, since we're looking towards the lower levels would like to see us give anthony wordsworth a go, may be too expensive for us but he is a talent none the less.

Think we could be in with a shout, can't see Watford or Peterbrough being any better draw than us, doubt Reading will come back in as they are promoted. Depends on who else throws their hat in, doubt Leeds would, however fester may.

Hey guys , I am from Northampton and have seen Micheal play in many games, he is an exiting winger and has played in centre midfield and just off Akinwenwa in the hole. Crackers has got plenty of skill and is never afraid to take on a man or two, although sometimes he tries to take on too many players and loses possession. I know from what i have heard he is a really good lad with a great attitude and just the sort of player cloughy loves. Check out the vid of a couple of goals he scored last season.

I'm quite happy for us to sign lower league players providing they are young, ambitious and proven to stand out at the level they are currently playing. He sounds like a good prospect, but would be better signing a more experienced right winger considering the average age of our squad? We can't rely on youngsters all the time, they need experienced heads alongside them to help them develop.

I'm quite happy for us to sign lower league players providing they are young, ambitious and proven to stand out at the level they are currently playing. He sounds like a good prospect, but would be better signing a more experienced right winger considering the average age of our squad? We can't rely on youngsters all the time, they need experienced heads alongside them to help them develop.

Saying that, Theo and Jeff Hendrick have developed an awful lot, and they've not had many older players around, if any older players around them, im happy with the younger players, they could be 9 years old for all i care, as long as they can play.

The FM bible states he is a winger and can play on the left or right, prefers left though.

Do we need another left winger with Ward and Tyson? Prefer a natural right winger! Although this will probably mean Clough will play him at right back

Saying that, Theo and Jeff Hendrick have developed an awful lot, and they've not had many older players around, if any older players around them, im happy with the younger players, they could be 9 years old for all i care, as long as they can play.

They need older heads to turn too though. With Barker out next season we need someone else to take lead, support the players when they make errors. As bad as Savage was, he was good at motivating and supporting the players when they made mistakes. Perhaps right mid isn't the place for an older player as we need flair there but I hope we sign at least one experienced player rather than relying on youngsters.

They need older heads to turn too though. With Barker out next season we need someone else to take lead, support the players when they make errors. As bad as Savage was, he was good at motivating and supporting the players when they made mistakes. Perhaps right mid isn't the place for an older player as we need flair there but I hope we sign at least one experienced player rather than relying on youngsters.

Well, we have Shackell who can lead. He seemed to do the job when he was captain before Barks and obviously for these final games when he has been captain

I dont know if cloughy will see him as a left winger or even a right winger. He has played in so many positions for Northampton including centre mid where he has put in a few man of the match performances so maybe clough will see him as a squad player that can fill in anywhere from midfield onwards. I would say he would be a big improvement on the likes of Lee Croft and with a small squad you need versatile players.

Archived