Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

Time to shine for the management and the owners. They've got money to spend now, and the only reason I can think they would move Shackell on is if there are targets that could be funded with a figure around that raised by selling him. We've already signed Michael Jacobs and it looks like we're close with Kelvin Mellor.

I still think we're only a centre half away from having adequate cover. The current regime seem to be big on players that are capable of playing across the back four, like Brayford and Naylor, so I'm not too concerned. It’s not lost on me that losing Shackell, especially to a league rival is disappointing, but there’s a reason for it and I genuinely think our squad will improve now we have funds to improve it.

Judgement remains reserved until the money is spent and we see what the playing staff looks like, but rightly or wrongly it does feel like a defining moment for the current management of the team and club. Get it right, have a good season and it will have been a masterstroke, if we’re not performing, the manager will probably pay the ultimate price. People are already too upset about it (some slightly over the top, as though they’ve lost a relative) to give it any decent period of time, so it’s going to be crucial to get off to a good start.

So it’s great we’re playing against a newly promoted team on a high from just down the road at Pride Park to start. Right?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Burnley fan the interview on Radio Lancashire says it all really and it's a shame that he seems to have been "forced" out. He does speak sense though in saying nothing is surprising in football any more. I'm very happy with the signing but i am equally very surprised we've managed to get him and on a four year deal.

I'll be the first to admit that Derby is a bigger club than Burnleys, simply due to the facilities, stadium and support and when the Financial Fair Play rules come into full force i'm sure you will see how it will benefit everyone that "cuts their cloth" accordingly. Teams like Leicester etc will have it all blown up in their face.

I'm going to assume Shackell will be the only player we sign this window that will go straight into our team, the others as someone has pointed out are from lower leagues and for the future.

As a club we are run quite well but won't be able to compete when the parachute payments run out and it will be back to selling again.

That's football.

Good luck for the season.

As a Burnley fan the interview on Radio Lancashire says it all really and it's a shame that he seems to have been "forced" out. He does speak sense though in saying nothing is surprising in football any more. I'm very happy with the signing but i am equally very surprised we've managed to get him and on a four year deal.

I'll be the first to admit that Derby is a bigger club than Burnleys, simply due to the facilities, stadium and support and when the Financial Fair Play rules come into full force i'm sure you will see how it will benefit everyone that "cuts their cloth" accordingly. Teams like Leicester etc will have it all blown up in their face.

I'm going to assume Shackell will be the only player we sign this window that will go straight into our team, the others as someone has pointed out are from lower leagues and for the future.

As a club we are run quite well but won't be able to compete when the parachute payments run out and it will be back to selling again.

That's football.

Good luck for the season.

A Burnley fan not being cocky? Am I dreaming? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Most players who get a better deal would be off ASAP, blus Burnley isn't THAT far away from Derby.

I know that but like I said he didn't seem that enthusiastic and it seemed like he was forced out.

I can't stress enough, the point I am trying to make.

Their income is far greater than ours, therefore have a lot more room to play with and even though their wagebill will be bigger and their squad will be bigger their losses will still be a lot smaller than ours. This isn't ambition, this is just using what they have, however we're trying to cut down to a more reasonable size in terms of losses, which is the true indication of ambition in my opinion - for instance festers owners were ambitious but because of this made nearly a 20million pound loss!!

They aren't investing more than us, infact they're investing a lot less but they have the income to spend whereas we don't.

They're a better placed club financially due to parachute payments and player money received so therefore can afford to go out and spend more than us.

In terms of teams that don't get parachute payments or big player fee's in, it becomes difficult to be financially viable at this level.

latest accounts show.

Ipswich made a 15million pound loss

Forest made a 12million pound loss

Leicester made a 16million pound loss

Bristol City made a 12million pound loss

Cardiff City made a 12million pound loss

Derby made a 7.7million pound loss

Palace made a 5million pound loss.

It was made clear straight from the end of the season there was no money to strengthen the team unless Nigel sold, and Shacks was our only asset that would get decent money. Nigel's been touting him around no end and anyone who thought he would be in our team when kick off time came was deluded.

That said, I expected to get more than £1.1 million; £400k profit for one of the best defenders in the league is a bit crap in my opinion and I'm disappointed by that.

What you can guarantee about his replacement is that he won't have the same experience, will be from a lower league team and be "young and hungry". Let's hope he's as good.

I've had no beef with Nigel's transfers so far (the one's he's paid reasonable or decent money for) but I've not got a good feeling about this move. Upsetting the fans is one thing and goes with the territory. More importantly I hope it hasn't upset the dressing room.

not sure if its been mentioned yet but are we gonna "boo" shackell next season?

Err, no. Our captain and one of the stand out players, who was sold by choice of the management. He put in a decent shift in a Derby shirt, and anyone who boos him is an idiot.

Err, no. Our captain and one of the stand out players, who was sold by choice of the management. He put in a decent shift in a Derby shirt, and anyone who boos him is an idiot.

Like how people are trying to make Shackell the villain just to make Clough look clean

Shackell got a 4 year deal out of this - says he didn't know where he stood.

Of course he did - captain next year. Year after that probably not. 2 years left on his contract would take him to 31 and then he possibly wouldn't be attractive to another club.

Maybe he heard Clough and Glick saying how important he was and chanced his arm for an extension and or pay rise - and was told on your bike young man by the time your 31 OB and Lelan and Galinski will be younger, have experience etc.... Your stand in captain for Barker. Status quo for you.

cant see why we would he got a chance to join a team that is likely to finish above us and is got a better chance of promotion , where would you rather be if you were him ?

I'm really really really trying to see the positive side of things here.

So I'm going to play devils advocate & suggest that Shackells fee was in excess of £1.1m & probably closer to £1.5m/£1.75m. Simply because I can't believe we would sell for a measly £350k profit (based on very lowest reports of the initial Shackell fee)

If the fee were higher & made public, it could make our bargaining position as regards getting in a replacement harder with clubs knowing how much cash we potentially had from the Shackell sale. We probably did it to Burnley after the Rodriguez deal.

If IF, we replace Shacks with a good quality CB & manage to get in a decent CF and/or midfield ballwinner (yes, admittedly they will be at the cheaper end of the scale) then I will consider this a good deal. Massive pressure on Clough's eye for talent but especially for this board....they must be absolutely terrified by the prospect of a bad start to the season.

p.s. anyone who has anything negative to say about Shackell must be mad - top defender, appears a good bloke, clearly didnt want to leave & I (along with I suspect 99% of supporters) will give him a rousing reception on his return with Burnley. I don't care if he has moved around in the past - I'm only concerned with his behaviour towards OUR club...he didnt want to go & gave 100% whilst he was here

Surely only if he deserved it - and he looks as though he's done nothing wrong to me.

Looking forward to a season where booing is restricted to the Opposition rather than our own team. Could be worth a few extra points.

This is all killing my happy time.

I start seven weeks of paid garden leave from work tomorrow. Seven weeks of sitting on my @r$e at home and getting paid for it. This should be like all my birthdays and Christmases rolled into one.

Instead, I'm fooking depressed......

Archived