Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

I suppose it depends what they do with the money. They need to make some decent signings fast to erase the negativity surrounding this move. No more faffing about taking months to sign League 2 players.

I've been fairly supportive of the board and Clough throughout their joint tenure, but it would be an understatement to say I'm a bit peeved by all this.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice thought, but we don't scout in europe anymore.

Probably why we dont have the technical strength that we need to start making a shout for promotion, George Burley bought some of the best players in since we was relegated from the prem the first time. If we had the defence we had last season, and afew danger players like we had then, we would be a force.

Would be interesting what he has to say, got a fantastic deal for himself down there though.

29 now, just signed a 4 year contract on probably 5 figures a week, I can't blame him can't imagine he pictured his future there no disrespect to Burnley but club size may not mean a lot but facilities I imagine will.

He got a great deal for him and his family, much like Chambers saying he doesn't want to leave but ipswich trashing that much money at him, he has got to take it!

Very surprised we have sold him but the main gripe seems to be the price. We sold him for an undisclosed fee and the 1.1 million ish fee seems to have come from a tabloid 'journalist' although others names are probably more suitable. We've sold the boy wonder Chris Macguire who seems to have achieved near legendary status, as well as Green going (not quite a first team starter) and Croft out on loan. If we sell Bailey and Davies too we will surely have freed up quite a bit of cash for transfers and wages. I think its likely we'll bring in better replacements for all of the above apart from Shackell. It's a gamble alright but Clough has found lots of good players before and will do again. But if we start poorly this season it's the board that deserve the flak.

He does sound fed up with the move, and he doesn't sound happy with the way it was conducted either.

I think it goes down as one of the worst decisions we could of made this summer, but we need the money to press on and he is a player who's value would probably not going to rise again due to his age. Its a shame, but, we need to press on now and hope to god Cloughs got a rabbit in the hat so to speak.

I wish people would stop digging up the same old 'big club' rubbish.. Shackell has moved on to a club with serious ambitions and a decent chance of promotion this season.. That's a hell of a lot more important than staying at club with next to no plans of promotion who equally pay you less regardless of how the fans percieve the size of the club.. (we're not big club, never have been, never will be!)

This is a step up for Shacks..

On the deal itself, it's abit bizarre.. I can only assume that we needed him off the wage bill and we have a defender lined up in his place.. Wait and see, it isn't beyond the realms of reality that we replace him with a better player for cheaper.. Remember, the likes of Gorkks was only signed for $500k.

The only problem now is that it's clear as day that wages are a stumbling block for any potential signing.. We have to be looking at lower league players or those from abroad to fall in line with our wages.. Proven or experienced NPC defenders are out of bounds really.

Archived