Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

I think you can split the blame, well, i say blame... First of all you can definitely blame the board because this is our current budget and we have to manouver and free up space to bring players in. I think this is what exactly Clough has done, if he thinks we can improve he needs to sell before he buys which i think we all understand to be honest, and then if we don't improve we can then blame clough because it was ultimately his decision to chop and change where and how.

I guess it will all come out in the wash as they say, and wouldnt be surprised to see us have someone lined up because of how quick we made the deal, who I would like to see come through, I don't know but he has got to be better than Shackell otherwise we've gone backwards, no disputing that!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the surface of it, this is very disappointing, especially for a team who should be looking to kick on from last season.

The full extent and impact of this move however will not be known until we see who's coming in as a replacement.

"It's no surprise we had a bid. It's nothing we accepted and nor are we interested.

"Jason is a player we want to keep and build around. We are not in a position where we need to sell."

Glick said they would only consider offers for non-fringe players if they felt they could replace them with players of equal or better ability.

"If we are in a position where we think we get offered a good deal and, importantly we have another player lined up who would be equally as good if not better, then that is always something we would consider," Glick added.

So what changed ?

I would hope our manager would be furious with what's going on not making jokes

Furious at what exactly?

What if he's already identified several players that can improve the squad that can be funded with the £1.1m raised from Shackell's sale?

In my opinion he's obviously spoken to the board about his targets and been told he'll need to offload to get them - Shackell, maybe apart from Brayford and Fielding was going to command the highest fee, and he feels he can be replaced. Why not just wait and see who we bring in? I remember alot of people asking who the hell John Brayford was when we signed him, there could be a few like that this summer and if there are, I'll be delighted.

Twitter makes me laugh. People saying they feel 'let down', 'gutted that he's left', 'we're moving backwards'. You'd think Iniesta had just left and we replaced him with Martin Kuhl.

I dont think I have said anything so far on Shackell and rumours of him leaving, but to leave for what is being reported 1.1 million is a bit bizare imo and yes I am disapointed that our best defender is out for a season and we have just sold our second best defender for not that much more than what we signed him for a year ago leaving us with only Bucko, O'Brien and Naylor!

I will be more than disapointed if we dont bring some quality in at the back before we kick off in our first game!

I suspect that our plan for the coming season will be to sign an experienced centre half to replace Shackell, an experienced striker to replace Davies, and then a utility player who can play anywhere across the back and it would be a bonus if he could play in midfield as well. Other than that I think we're banking on a few more players coming through from the youth team. I suspect that Bennett will feature more next season, and Hughes is obviously going to be involved, and then possibly one of the young defenders as well (Galinksi, Lelan).

One thing that there can be little argument with surely is that we've got the Academy back up and running again and producing some decent talent. Going forward I think we're going to be very reliant on that conveyor belt to inject quality into the squad. If it works, it will be great. If not, we'll struggle.

Shackell could have said no to a move!! Or is this just another stupid post by an idiot

What's going to happen when a club comes in and triggers the £3 million clause in his contract??

Shackell could have said no to a move, but why would he? We've made it perfectly obvious over the summer that we were willing to sell him. I'm not sure I would want to hang around once I knew that the club were up for getting rid of me. As it is, he's ended up moving to a club with much better short-term prospects and likely will make some more $$$ from the move.

Im so excited at the thought of the being back to where we have been the last 4 years, finishin in the bottom half of the table, looking at how many points we need to guarentee we stay up. Oh and lets not forget how good it was to see our leaky defence week in and week out conceding goals. Unless Cloughie pulls a rabbit out of the hat, this was such a bad decision. Im sick of Derby being a scout for other clubs, managers must look at us and say " oo.. Derby seem to be doing ok for once, lets raid there best players and leave them in the **** again "

We are just a minority on this forum expressing our views. The sale of Shackell BY CLOUGH who signed him has upset far more Rams fans than just us. The turn over of players is unbelievable. Clough also signed Moxey , Martin , Pringle,Maguire,Croft,Porter,Bueno,Bailey whom he wants gone nand has had on loan loads of failures. Barker and Bryson are successes as are Hendrick and a few others from the academy. Why is Deeney still here. Tyson is a failure up to now. Theo is a success but jury is still out on him. S D avies is leaving ! We have no money. Just another day in the life of DCFC

Susm up last summers spending in a nutshell

Good but they must have run out of money osr soemthing; if theyd signed a goalscorer last summer we coudl be in eth Premier League.

Now we are pulling our horns in selling players on the cheap.

On the face of it selling shackell is an utterly pointless move in every way. We dont get that much more than we paid for him, having beaten several teams in competition with us for hsi signature in the first place.

And Shackell faces a backwards move to a club that is much smaller than ours. And we are selling him when Barker is out for the whole season. Utterly utterly pointless.

I would hope our manager would be furious with what's going on not making jokes

Why would he be furious? He has sold off a player to generate funds to strengthen the team. As much as Shackell has all of a sudden become the number one super star player in the fans eyes (even though they didn't vote for him as POY), The manager obviously sees things in him that he can do without. I really can not see why people are becoming so depressed about this.

Shackell could have said no to a move, but why would he? We've made it perfectly obvious over the summer that we were willing to sell him. I'm not sure I would want to hang around once I knew that the club were up for getting rid of me. As it is, he's ended up moving to a club with much better short-term prospects and likely will make some more $$$ from the move.

If Shackell had said no, Nigel's toys would have come out of the pram, Shackell would be labeled as a troublemaker, and sent on loan to Notts County.

i think shakell will be very easy to replace, yes he could head, tackle and organise but he lack actual ball skill and passing ability, i feel if clough can replace him with someone with this and play him with bucko, and then next season barker we will have a much more assured and diverse defence

How dare you say it's a stupid post and call me an idiot!!! I am entitled to my opinion and after the old cliche of supporting Derby for more than 45 years I think you will find I have a more balanced and calm view of a player moving on. Next time rather being rude to me in public send me a PM

Apologies if you're offended but your statement qas pretty dim. Its not Shackell's fault hes neen in demand due to consistant performances in this division.

I'm tired and extremely annoyed about all this. Especially with fans already regarding him as a judas. If anybody hasn't been loyal here it's the board making promises to players and fans alike that they're trying to build a competitive team

Do not bank on Barker ever being up to scratch again, they were some injuries he sustained, I would say far worse than Riggotts, and he was never fit again afterwards.

This is my feeling as well, Barker will be nearly 31 [size=2](DOB: 19 Sep 1982)[/size] before he plays his next game, and has pretty much had his knee rebuilt, he'll be lucky to play football with his kids on the park, let alone top level football.

[size=2]F*ck me, I agreed with smiffy.[/size]

Archived