What Are You Listening To?

AndyB

It's been the worst summer in 30 years, but Mrs ramit and I made the best of the 8 or so warm sunny days it supplied us.

I am ready for winter though, our backyard picnic table weighs 146 kilos.

The forecast says snowstorm in the north tomorrow and the east the day after, we are in the west and so we are going mushroom hunting tomorrow.

If you play the music, change sound quality setting to 1080 please, for full effect

I was born in 61

Edited by ramit
What's It To'ya

Obviously they've been mega hyped, but with October tickets for the Apollo I have been listening to The Last Dinner Party more. And I confess I do really like them. Mrs Sagan on the other hand thinks they're a joke, but just because she worked in the industry, what does she know? 

Here's a fun version of their first single, Nothing Matters, from a German TV show. In the unlikely event there's anyone on this forum who's offended by swearing, don't click the link! For everyone else, grab yourself a glass of red and enjoy! 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Obviously they've been mega hyped, but with October tickets for the Apollo I have been listening to The Last Dinner Party more. And I confess I do really like them. Mrs Sagan on the other hand thinks they're a joke, but just because she worked in the industry, what does she know? 

Here's a fun version of their first single, Nothing Matters, from a German TV show. In the unlikely event there's anyone on this forum who's offended by swearing, don't click the link! For everyone else, grab yourself a glass of red and enjoy! 

I clicked on the link, because it's a girlband, well almost.  Not bad, not bad

We've had a few in these parts, some better than others

Dúkkulísur (Paperdolls) were from a small east fjord town, in the eighties they released this track about a young pregnant girl wishing she was Pamela in Dallas instead

14 hours ago, ramit said:

I clicked on the link, because it's a girlband, well almost.  Not bad, not bad

We've had a few in these parts, some better than others

Dúkkulísur (Paperdolls) were from a small east fjord town, in the eighties they released this track about a young pregnant girl wishing she was Pamela in Dallas instead

Ha! I did believe for a time that Pamela in Dallas was the world's most attractive woman, so can understand the song. Fabulous!

In terms of Icelandic girls vs boys, I did get to the Sugercubes' first UK tour, at the Town and Country Club in London. Einar Örn Benediktsson was convinced he was the star, but of course we all wanted to hear Björk! 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Ha! I did believe for a time that Pamela in Dallas was the world's most attractive woman, so can understand the song. Fabulous!

In terms of Icelandic girls vs boys, I did get to the Sugercubes' first UK tour, at the Town and Country Club in London. Einar Örn Benediktsson was convinced he was the star, but of course we all wanted to hear Björk! 

Pamela was Dallas, in one night she dreamed several seasons. 

Glad you enjoyed that.

You were at a Sugarcubes gig?  Nice, I only saw Björk in Tappi Tíkarrass.

I hear you on the subject of Einar.

Here's the thing though, Björk would likely have agreed that Einar was the star, he was the driving force behind the band, set up the record company, was by some counted as the first punk rocker in Iceland, which he wasn't, knew many in the business, locally and abroad.  Amazing what this guy achieved, a fella who could not sing a straight tune to save his life and only played the trumpet (sort of) but had energy, charisma and leadership qualities in abundance.  Björk would not have developed musically as she did without Einar's influence.

22 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Unlike Dark Fruits, I remember watching that "live" first time around. And I also remember thinking it was an important moment, and music was going to be all right, and that this was the start of something special. We were all talking about it in work the next day.

There are a load of comments under the vid with similar experiences. Seismic.

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Unlike Dark Fruits, I remember watching that "live" first time around. And I also remember thinking it was an important moment, and music was going to be all right, and that this was the start of something special. We were all talking about it in work the next day.

This feeling rings a bell, that kind of musical reinvention moment has likely happened all over the world.

You cannot imagine how boring the Icelandic music scene was in the years leading to 1980, disco, country and third rate pop ruling the waves.

Then like lightning appeared basic punk shot rock, blowing minds and changing everything.

Bubbi Morthens and his band Utangarðsmenn paved the way.  I was at their first concert in Reykjavík and I was in no doubt that music times were changing for the better.  A journalist from Morgunblaðið agreed with me, we were enthralled, liberated at last.

So, yeah, I know that feeling and we can at least say we were there experiencing the tide turn.

By the time they did this Iggy Pop number, Bubbi was crawling on the floor, howling like the dog he had become

Edited by ramit
typo

On 04/09/2024 at 21:29, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Fontaines DC's new album has just been released. There's some brilliant tunes on there.

They have had 4 really good albums. I still think the second is the best.

You might like The Murder Capital. Another Dublin band who make a great sound. 

Try Ethel as a starter.

59 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

They have had 4 really good albums. I still think the second is the best.

You might like The Murder Capital. Another Dublin band who make a great sound. 

Try Ethel as a starter.

I'd only listened to the odd Fontaines tune up until Starbuster, then I went back and blitzed through their earlier albums. Liked Dogrel but need to revisit A Hero's Death and Skinty Fia.

Thanks for the Murder Capital recommendation. Will give them a whirl!