is messi the greatest player ever ?

mozza

Pele is still and will in my lifetime be the greatest player ever.

Look at his stats. He scored 1152 goals in 1220 games for Santos and New York Cosmos.

Internationally, he scored 77 goals in 92 games.

Neither Maradona or Messi come close to that feat and I doubt anyone ever will.

Messi has the chance to if he starts producing the same club and country form and that will be helped if Argentina start producing.

being good isnt all about goals.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point is you could be the best player in the world, but still not win the World Cup, if the players around you are not

as gifted as you are..

I agree really Cisse.

Messi is still shocking the world. Where now we look at Pele and Maradonna and we know what's coming. The excitement is gone.

But I do think Peles comment "when he's won world cups... " is stupid. What if Messi played for Iraq. Never even made a world cup. The comment is petty and laughable. I wont make the argument that Pele wasn't great, but if someone wanted to point out the CLUBS he played for/against they could say Messi has proved it against better teams.

People will talk about Messi in 50 years. That alone is a testament to his ability.

That is basicly what I was trying to say, but maybe never put it across as well as you 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

no doubt that he is a great player .....but- it is far easier to score than it used to be. There was a time when you needed 3 players playing you onside (usually 2 outfield and a keeper). Also strikers are given the benefit of the doubt when looking at offside. Another factor is that Mark Wright would have cleaned him out all day long with no foul being given back in the day, So in my book no he isn't a patch on Pele and Maradona- be careful though, you can be a great player if you aren't a goalscorer (P.Shilton anyone?). Besides that- he has crap hair and no character, just a cheesy grin.

mark wright wouldnt have got near him.As for having to win a world cup to be a great as someone posted that is rubbish.George Best was a genius and didnt play for a great country.

Messi is a very special player,it should be remembered that his assists tally is massive,not just his goals.He is a team player,he doesnt think of himself before the team unlike ronaldo.He plays with a smie on his face and he is truly humble with it.For me he is the greatest ever,not just because of his skills which is enough anyway,but also because he is a true good guy with it.Maradona isnt fit to lace his boots.

How many full games live or on TV has everyone seen Pele or Messi play to say which was the greatest?

Anyhow there is no right or wrong answer, the greatest is a matter of opinion and I haven't got one so I'm out.

He needs to win the World Cup with Argentina. I think that would epitomise his career and determine him as the greatest ever.

I'd love to see him playing in England but I think he'll be a one club player with Barca as he has lived there since he was 15 and is no doubt absolutely loving it there.

I'd happily trade the Falklands with Argentina for him. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Pele is still and will in my lifetime be the greatest player ever.

Look at his stats. He scored 1152 goals in 1220 games for Santos and New York Cosmos.

Internationally, he scored 77 goals in 92 games.

Neither Maradona or Messi come close to that feat and I doubt anyone ever will.

Messi has the chance to if he starts producing the same club and country form and that will be helped if Argentina start producing.

This argument annoys me. Pele scored that many goals for Santos, f*cking Santos, not Benfica, or Real Madrid or Juventus (the big teams of the time).

Secondly, his record for Brazil was fantastic, but the players who surrounded him in the 1970 WC team for example, were amazing too, so it just accentuated his talents. Messi doesn't have that luxury unfortunately, Argentina are too weak at the back to ever be a major world threat at the moment IMO.

Thirdly, Cruyff, Best, Platini etc didn't win a WC, are they not even allowed to be considered the best ever?

Messi & Maradona > The rest.

Brolly for me......... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> .......................................................[size=1]messi is better than maracheter and pele though...................in my humble opinion 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />[/size][size=1] [/size]

Archived