is messi the greatest player ever ?

mozza

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never had the pleasure of seeing the likes of pele or maradona play, but for me it's difficult to say how he could be better, he's extremely quick, his touch is phenomenal and whatever situation he's in, it looks like he's been in the same situation 100 times before and knows how to get around the problem, the man is a genius

Pele is still and will in my lifetime be the greatest player ever.

Look at his stats. He scored 1152 goals in 1220 games for Santos and New York Cosmos.

Internationally, he scored 77 goals in 92 games.

Neither Maradona or Messi come close to that feat and I doubt anyone ever will.

Messi has the chance to if he starts producing the same club and country form and that will be helped if Argentina start producing.

I would say he is. I reckon champions league football is more competitive than international football. He doesn't have a weakness. Seems a nice guy as well. The only thing I would say is he is also in a hell of a side (the best club team of all time imo), especially when you've got xavi, iniesta and fabregas supplying you.

no doubt that he is a great player .....but- it is far easier to score than it used to be. There was a time when you needed 3 players playing you onside (usually 2 outfield and a keeper). Also strikers are given the benefit of the doubt when looking at offside. Another factor is that Mark Wright would have cleaned him out all day long with no foul being given back in the day, So in my book no he isn't a patch on Pele and Maradona- be careful though, you can be a great player if you aren't a goalscorer (P.Shilton anyone?). Besides that- he has crap hair and no character, just a cheesy grin.

Comparisons between eras are always hard. Pele, Messi & Maradona probably have/had similar talent. Just saying Messi on the basis I've seen him play and also on the fact that he plays champions league every year. I think Wenger came out and said Messi was the best of all time.

Be interesting to think if there is/was a defender of any era who could stop him. And no, not Mark Wright. Maybe Beckenbauer? In the modern era I'm even thinking Paul McGrath. A defender with guile and intelligence.

He needs to do it at International level, as in, at the World Cup, the other true greats practically won the World Cup for their country singe handedly, once Messi has done this, then, yes, he will be the grestest ever. Like someoen has said, he certinainly has time on his side.

I tell this story to anyone, everytime they are speakign of him, i met him a few years ago in Basel, when Barca were playing there, and asked him, via a translation from Terry Henry if he would come and play for Derby soon, and they BOTH promised me that they would. I am still waiting for them to come good on the deal, hopeful......

He needs to do it at International level, as in, at the World Cup, the other true greats practically won the World Cup for their country singe handedly, once Messi has done this, then, yes, he will be the grestest ever. Like someoen has said, he certinainly has time on his side.

I tell this story to anyone, everytime they are speakign of him, i met him a few years ago in Basel, when Barca were playing there, and asked him, via a translation from Terry Henry if he would come and play for Derby soon, and they BOTH promised me that they would. I am still waiting for them to come good on the deal, hopeful......

I'd consider re-mortgaging my house and renewing my season ticket, when he signs .. keep reminding

him Muespach, a promise is a promise after all. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

No, not yet but for me he has the potential to become at least as good as Pele. Though he might not quite get there. Hopefully he can stay injury free and have a long career. Pele's statistics are quite incredible and he played at the time the hacking and whacking against him was just brutal. Also the clubs he played for were never as great as Barca is now.

But I believe Messi can achieve the same that Pele did. Both at the club level and internationally. At least it will be interesting to follow him.

Must mention that even though Maradona's statistics aren't as great he was exceptionally good. The fact that he played as a midfielder is one reason that he did not get as many goals of course. But he did have a magic touch and his free kicks were always amazing.

Archived