is messi the greatest player ever ?

mozza

Pele just has all the swagger still, old quote from January but I imagine it still stands.

"Whe Messi's scored 1,283 goals like me, when he's won three World Cups, we'll talk about it. Football changes. Records are there to be broken, but it will be hard to break mine. People always ask me: "When is the new Pele going to be born?" Never. My father and mother have closed the factory."

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A team like Barcelona can be bought, no matter what the nationality of the players are, just buy the best

available, to win the World Cup is a different ball game, as your options are obviously limited to your country

of birth. Drogba has been in the top ten players in the world in the recent past (imo) , but I cant see the Ivory

Coast ever winning the World Cup. I would suggest that the current Barcelona team would beat the best International

team in the world nine times out of ten.

My point is you could be the best player in the world, but still not win the World Cup, if the players around you are not

as gifted as you are..

Pele is still and will in my lifetime be the greatest player ever.

Look at his stats. He scored 1152 goals in 1220 games for Santos and New York Cosmos.

Internationally, he scored 77 goals in 92 games.

Neither Maradona or Messi come close to that feat and I doubt anyone ever will.

Messi has the chance to if he starts producing the same club and country form and that will be helped if Argentina start producing.

Agreed, Pele by a considerable margin. Though Messi is the best current player, however I think internationally is where he will fall short.

It's so arrogant of my generation to presume that everyone who saw Pele play was better.

"I never saw Pele play but I think Messi must be the best" - well, how about we listen to those who did see him play?

Messi still has a long way to go - he's 24. But to say he's better than Pele is to misunderstand Pele.

Of course you can't directly compare. But Pele was better than everyone else in a way Messi isn't. People flocked for miles to see him. He dominated World Cups; Messi is yet to shine in one.

The game completely suits Messi compared to Pele in his own time; he'd look even better now. Pele played on pitches like beaches, with footballs like lead, and boots like Wellies, against defenders who would probably be sin binned in Rugby these days for some of the challenges they made. Pele changed the game. It became the general consensus that football should favour players like him, because he was such a joy to watch, so the game changed to make it easier for players of lesser ability to play like him.

When Messi plays on South American pitches, which aren't quite so good, he still looks like the World's best - but he is handicapped by it in a way Pele wasn't.

One thing I liked about Maradona is that at the time he was considered the best player in the world he joined Napoli which at the time was very poor team. He then announced that he would make a champion out of Napoli. He was laughed at by saying that, but he turned the team and won the title. I'd like to see somebody try to do that now.

Pele is talking *****.

What he's saying, is that if you are from Azerbaijan you can't be the best player ever? No matter what you do?

Maradonna and Messi stand above all else imo.

What could you say about Pele not playing in Europe?

Technically Pele was able to do anything Maradona and Messi could do. In worse conditions. To achieve Pele's statistics is hard. It remains to be seen if Messi can come close. Generally it is pointless to try to compare people from different times because it comes down to opinions. Pele, Maradona and Messi are the best players at their own time.

Usually when these comparisons are made and people vote for the best, at anything, the most recent tend to get upper hand on polls and such.

I agree really Cisse.

Messi is still shocking the world. Where now we look at Pele and Maradonna and we know what's coming. The excitement is gone.

But I do think Peles comment "when he's won world cups... " is stupid. What if Messi played for Iraq. Never even made a world cup. The comment is petty and laughable. I wont make the argument that Pele wasn't great, but if someone wanted to point out the CLUBS he played for/against they could say Messi has proved it against better teams.

People will talk about Messi in 50 years. That alone is a testament to his ability.

I agree really Cisse.

Messi is still shocking the world. Where now we look at Pele and Maradonna and we know what's coming. The excitement is gone.

But I do think Peles comment "when he's won world cups... " is stupid. What if Messi played for Iraq. Never even made a world cup. The comment is petty and laughable. I wont make the argument that Pele wasn't great, but if someone wanted to point out the CLUBS he played for/against they could say Messi has proved it against better teams.

People will talk about Messi in 50 years. That alone is a testament to his ability.

I think Pele meant that since Messi plays for Argentina he should be able to win the World Cup. If Messi played for Finland I doubt that Pele would make a comment like that. Don't know for sure how good teams were in Brazil at the time but probably they were pretty good too. One thing Pele had to deal more than Maradona and Messi was the pure violance against him. That kind of hacking is fortunately gone now.

All true I guess.

Still time for Messi to win 3 world cups. Be a lot easier if he'd taken Spanish citizenship.

Spain look like they could build 3 squads capable of winning trophies right now. After all those years of underachieving!

Archived