Should Nigel Clough apply for the vacant England manager job?

Brammie Steve

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder where your thinking started from?

Are you thinking long term, as in working from the youth setup towards senior squad. If so, I wouldn't doubt his ability in that situation. Probably wouldn't get the best reception from the senior side of things, but the public have been crying out for them to sod off for years so wouldn't be missed. Nigel wouldn't be afraid to sack off the likes of Lampard and Terry, Gerrard and and Rooney, if he thought they weren't responding well in training.

If not Nigel, somebody like him.

I thought this was a joke at first myself and was going to suggest it as fantasy football, but just think of the crazy decisions the FA has made over the years. Sack Alf Ramsey just because he brought Kev Hector on too late to save us in 74. Appoint Don Revie who let his Leeds team get away with more fouls than any other team, probably in the history of the game. Then Ron Greenwood, who wasn't on the shortlist of 3 and Brian Clough was. Fast forward and only Terry Venables did anything like a decent job. Keegan was too naive. The others seemed out of touch with the players. Then sidelining Martin O'Neill for Fabio, who did nothing but make me ashamed of some of our performances.

Could appointing someone like Nigel really be any more stupid than that? He has been good when he has the right support and players who are not injury prone. He could have the pick of the best English players and the chance to spot fresh talent. I know it will never happen and we'll end up with the same old same old, but wouldn't it shake things up if for once the FA were to think outside the box and do something daring.!

BTW Good post BnW, that's exactly the way I'm thinking. Shake things up or carry on relying on flukes and getting knocked out by terrible refereeing decisions. We want a manager who speaks his mind. There are plenty of fresh thinking managers and potential managers out there. If we have to have a new dog, let's not just have an FA lapdog!

Nigel wouldn't be afraid to sack off the likes of Lampard and Terry, Gerrard and and Rooney, if he thought they weren't responding well in training.

He'd get rid of them sly cheating drug test dodging tossers and make a team that actually want to play for England. He'd get honest, hard working players that play for the shirt, either that or play the academy lads!

Cloughie for Derby that's what I say!

F*ck me u lot are shooting Steve down for some perfectly valid points. I remember not long ago there was a page in the people saying nige was best man for the england job. I honestly think he would do a good job. Although I don't agree with the speaking his mind part. He doesn't speak his mind against our board never mind the fa.

BTW Good post BnW, that's exactly the way I'm thinking. Shake things up or carry on relying on flukes and getting knocked out by terrible refereeing decisions. We want a manager who speaks his mind. There are plenty of fresh thinking managers and potential managers out there. If we have to have a new dog, let's not just have an FA lapdog!

It's been on everybody's lips for a long time, working from the youth upwards. Why not Clough?

But I'm happy with him at Derby. Might be annoying at the moment, but at least he's dealing with what needs dealing with. The whole youth setup, working with the board in regards of money and within out means. Long process but worth it in the long run!

. What has he said so stupid? He hasn't said he will get the job.

sometimes it is simply better and more fun to ridicule a moronic statement than to have the embarrassment for the person to point out how bad it is. If you can't see it then i truly pity the depth of how low this forum can go.

Neither has Stuart Pearce and he is the interim manager and many respected figures have put his name forward.

Well I don't want Pearce, horrible route one manager (as as shown in U-21s Euro 2011) who relegated Forest and lead Man City to score the fewest home goals in a PL season (yes, even less than us in 2007/08).

Archived