squad

Gritty

In recent years we have had 2 related problems with the wage bill affecting our ability to recruit players (forgetting about transfer funds for a second):

(1) some players were on high wages meaning there was less room in the wage bill to take on more players

(2) we had some players who weren't in the managers plans (even if they were on reasonable wages) taking up part of the wage bill

Looking at the Derby squad now, it seems that there's only Croft and Addison that Clough wants to move on (both likely to go in the summer as out of contract?) and possibly Maguire who might be more difficult to shift as he's got a couple of years on his contract to go. Green is pretty much certain to go too.

So problem (2) is virtually solved; i.e. Maguire apart, by the summer, all the players Derby have are players Clough thinks can play a part

And I think (1) will be solved too. The high earners have been moved on and largely replaced by youngsters from the youth setup (OB, Hendrick, Ball, Bennett and maybe even Hughes next year). Although the youth players will be getting pay rises they won't be on the scale of the likes of Green etc

I think this means Clough now has the base squad he wants plus some room in the playing squad to recruit anyone in positions he wants to strengthen.

I think 2012/2013 could be a good season...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In recent years we have had 2 related problems with the wage bill affecting our ability to recruit players (forgetting about transfer funds for a second):

(1) some players were on high wages meaning there was less room in the wage bill to take on more players

(2) we had some players who weren't in the managers plans (even if they were on reasonable wages) taking up part of the wage bill

Looking at the Derby squad now, it seems that there's only Croft and Addison that Clough wants to move on (both likely to go in the summer as out of contract?) and possibly Maguire who might be more difficult to shift as he's got a couple of years on his contract to go. Green is pretty much certain to go too.

So problem (2) is virtually solved; i.e. Maguire apart, by the summer, all the players Derby have are players Clough thinks can play a part

And I think (1) will be solved too. The high earners have been moved on and largely replaced by youngsters from the youth setup (OB, Hendrick, Ball, Bennett and maybe even Hughes next year). Although the youth players will be getting pay rises they won't be on the scale of the likes of Green etc

I think this means Clough now has the base squad he wants plus some room in the playing squad to recruit anyone in positions he wants to strengthen.

Agree with this and said pretty much the same thing a couple of months ago, but with the caveat that we really must complete the squad this summer and push on next season, as a lot of the squad will be looking for a Paul Green type contract the following summer.

Looking at the Derby squad now, it seems that there's only Croft and Addison that Clough wants to move on (both likely to go in the summer as out of contract?)

They have contracts untill 2013.

Addison's contract was extended in June.

Ask Clough why.

Here is Glick's version:

"Miles has shown great character in the last few seasons to recover from his foot injury.

[size=3]

"Prior to that he was a player recognised with great potential and had just been capped by England under 21s.

[/size]

[size=3]

"We have extended Miles' contract because we believe as he gets his match fitness back he will again show that he can be a force in this division, and even higher."

[/size]

They have contracts untill 2013.

Addison's contract was extended in June.

Ask Clough why.

Here is Glick's version:

"Miles has shown great character in the last few seasons to recover from his foot injury.

"Prior to that he was a player recognised with great potential and had just been capped by England under 21s.

[size=3]"We have extended Miles' contract because we believe as he gets his match fitness back he will again show that he can be a force in this division, and even higher."[/size]

He still has potential, but understandably down the pecking order at the moment.Better for him to go out on loan at a decent level at the moment.

Clough had the squad he wanted this season, barring Dean Leacock who was the only player at the club this season that was not either signed by Clough or had his contract extended by Clough.

When can we say he has the squad he wants? What happens if he signs 5 players this summer and two don't work out like Croft or Maguire. Do we then have to wait till those players have gone as well as Maguire till we can say Clough has the squad he wants?

Whatever happened to getting the best from the resources you have signed or re-signed, like most managers have to?

I said a while ago that it seems that the leaning from the board/manager is towards youth......

Either ours (money has been invested in our accademy) or from loaning,buying it from others, i think it been implied by the clubs actions rather that whats been said,with the exception of NC about 2 montha ago,saying that the future was our youth and there wasnt much money around.

I think that having bought us when we were in the prem and then being told by the new owners that they wanted a 'Global brand', we expected alot... but having been relegated the board have had to re-think....... although its not been said specifically, i think that Glick has maybe influenced the FA to go down the route of trying to go with the FFP,and i think that Glick and the board (who are clever and wealthy men,who to maximise profit, think a plan through properly) may well be placing DCFC into an advantaged position where we are ahead of the game with our set up.

I just wish the board would come out and say that this is the plan,so we can all get behind it, instead of us thinking negatively about the lack of investment.

So i fully expect to see NC pursue youth next season, and for us hopefully to develop into a stronger club,with a very long term strategy, where we will bring on youth and sell some to, hopefully to be re-invested and grow the club, Amen 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />

Clough had the squad he wanted this season, barring Dean Leacock who was the only player at the club this season that was not either signed by Clough or had his contract extended by Clough.

When can we say he has the squad he wants? What happens if he signs 5 players this summer and two don't work out like Croft or Maguire. Do we then have to wait till those players have gone as well as Maguire till we can say Clough has the squad he wants?

Whatever happened to getting the best from the resources you have signed or re-signed, like most managers have to?

Sorry disagree with the concept of this response.

Yes this is his squad but it is not the squad that he wants in a completed fashion. He has always said he is missing the 2-3 players he needed to push for the top 6. Glick also intimated that a striker worth a couple of million would be considered did not happen, experienced midifelder never came.

However this squad has the second youngest average age in the division. This squad of players is definately a marked improvement in my opinion than under BD in prem and Jewell years. He has also developed probably the most productive academy in the championship along with his staff and I would say not many premiership teams have a stronger academy then us.

This squad of players are honest, hard working, play for the fans and each other, work as a team and are developing as a team. The only side which needs improving is the attacking side but players in that area are now coming.

One big improvement on last season is our defending. Since our back 4 has become more settled with Barker coming back fully fit along with Shackell, Roberts, Brayford/Green we have not probably had a stronger defensive unit over the last decade. Except for the Stoke game and 45 mins against Barnsley they have been as tight as scrooge in defence.

Now this is sorted the other attributes will develop.

So yes this is his squad, yes it is still slow in developing, it is still a work in progress but there are more positives than negative. Get on the ride and enjoy it instead of looking for it to break down

Nigel gets the best out of the players he has, that leaves only the ability of the players in question! I love the team we have, the management and everything about what we're doing because the epitomize everything that a football club should do, a very hard working honest side.. The team that were promoted did exactly the same, baring a few surprise performances like Colchester at home!

For me the squad is 4-5 players down from being a brilliant squad(championship), this doesn't ask for major investment but for players to come in with the same attitude as the lads here, a bit of quality and we'll be well away, the attitude and youth coming through are so important to what we're doing, trying to do!

We're a mid table championship team at present, to move to the next level, we need a new left back, Yes Roberts has been good but he's not getting any younger and is mistake prone, covering right back, only have 1 rb at club, experienced central midfielder, Green will be leaving, Carroll won't be permanent so we only have Bails, Bryson and Hendrick in that department, proven goalscorer, current crop of strikers are too raw and injury prone and another centre back, if barks or shacks get injured then we have to rely on Buxton and the untried Naylor.

[size=1]Oh and Billy Sharp[/size]

Surely a well run academy serves the club better if they are developing players who can make that step up.

We have been a mess since the season when we got relegated in the 1990's after Jim Smith left, followed by Todd who got sacked and then we got Gregory. That was the start of decline. We have had since then one good season with George Burley (3rd) and Billy Davies (3rd and promoted). However apart from that we have struggled in this division not only in position but financialy.

I have a dislike to the board however I have to give them credit for as a club who has faced administration, the 3 amigos etc in the current climate I would think a few would have thought we faced that outcome again however this does not seem the case.

Clough has had a rough ride, a big rebuild, players (experienced players) not producing or showing desire to play for us - this is my opinion and I know this will not be everyones.

This current team/squad is going through the transition stage of getting to know each other, gain the experience of the difficulties of playing within the championship. For me there are more positives than negatives.

Not in administration, wages under control, squad developing and a season at present where we are not facing the chance of relegation which I am happy with.

In respect of players I am happy with what we have and developed.

Clough has brought in Fielding, Brayford, Barker, Shackell, Bryson, Ward, Robinson, Tyson, Legzdin (as backup to Fielding) and Bailey, and I believe they have shown they can play at this level, further to this Roberts on his day is more than capable in playing at this level.

Other players who appear to be in the plans for the immediate future in Green and S Davies again have shown they can play at this level.

Then lets consider the youngsters, O'Brien, Ball, Bennett and Hendrick have shown they do not look out of place at this level and will only get better. Then there are players like Huges, Thomas (U17 England striker), and co who will be knocking on the door in the next few seasons.

Then we can consider the players on the fringe who if they want to can push for a place in the starting squad if they want to (and this is whether you believe or not that Clough holds grudges) in Miles Addison, Maguire and Tom Naylor (new in and developing)

Buxton I would keep as a back up player until the youngsters have developed further then I would move him on.

Now I have named 23 players for the squad (2 players are in academy and could be pushing for a chance in first team within 2 seasons). This is a good basis of a squad and looking at it you can see why Clough is saying we need 2-3 experienced players to move squad on. I can not honestly see an issue with squad apart from the time it is taking to develop (which for me is again no issue)

So the squad for me is developing and hope Clough continues to build for the long term future

Economic climate. I know I can not afford to travel what with the cost of the ticket, travel food and drink etc its an expensive business now a days. Mortgage etc come first. Look at the away following at PP this season that has also been bad this season. They look pathetic at PP when they come in first two upper blocks of the South Stand on their own.

Economic climate. I know I can not afford to travel what with the cost of the ticket, travel food and drink etc its an expensive business now a days. Mortgage etc come first. Look at the away following at PP this season that has also been bad this season. They look pathetic at PP when they come in first two upper blocks of the South Stand on their own.

I missed 2 games home n away last season n 4 the season before that due to work commitments, this season I've worked a lot more sat nights( 8pm starts) and more fri nights on overtime cos I want to move house, so I've only manged a few away games thus far, I know a couple who fell out of love with derby cos of the the health n safety side of things with what the then known " barmy army" were trying to do but the club carried on making it harder for them things to happen, I know one who is now banned for 3 years n two who have moved away from England that all travelled to most games, so there's 5away fans gone, times are hard, some teams have fans that would rather do the away games for the day out but can't afford home as well, derby home season tickets have been cheap for a while so maybe we get them that would only be at away games, at home games instead due to cost!!!

I missed 2 games home n away last season n 4 the season before that due to work commitments, this season I've worked a lot more sat nights( 8pm starts) and more fri nights on overtime cos I want to move house, so I've only manged a few away games thus far, I know a couple who fell out of love with derby cos of the the health n safety side of things with what the then known " barmy army" were trying to do but the club carried on making it harder for them things to happen, I know one who is now banned for 3 years n two who have moved away from England that all travelled to most games, so there's 5away fans gone, times are hard, some teams have fans that would rather do the away games for the day out but can't afford home as well, derby home season tickets have been cheap for a while so maybe we get them that would only be at away games, at home games instead due to cost!!!

good point there trooper.

if i never had a ST i'd prob go more away and miss a few home games.

Archived