RT Meeting With Glick

Stive Pesley

Not seen this posted but I just got sent this - the minutes of the latest RamsTrust meeting with Glick.

I'm not a RT member and hopefully this won't descend into a needless slagging. Nothing earth-shaterringly new in here but a couple of interesting titbits around the shareholdings.

Essentially they're saying that they won't open up shareholdings to fans because they currently expect their shareholders to have financial input via capital calls. Suddenly RT seem a bit less interested in holding shares! haha

Glick also confirmed that we wanted Eustace but couldn't afford him

DCFC - RT Meeting, 7th January 2012

Attendees:

RamsTrust: John Banks, Paul Mortimer (PM), Jim Wheeler (JW)

DCFC: Tom Glick (President/CEO), Tom Loakes (Press Officer), Faye Nixon (Marketing Manager)

Derby County discussed various issues and topics with RamsTrust for 80 minutes at the meeting.

DCFC-RT Liaison & Co-ordination:

- DCFC confirmed that RT could again use PPS facilities for their 2012 AGM in September.

- DCFC again confirmed that RT would be granted web pages in the FANS section of DCFC's official website. An updated RT intro page has been provided by PM to TL since the meeting, and this is now live at www.dcfc.co.uk

- RT was invited to send in further web content and also topical periodic columns for both the website and The RAM matchday magazine.

- TL to confirm terms & administration to enable RamsTrust to resume a commissioned sales agency for The RAM matchday magazine, which was taken back 'in-house' by DCFC at the start of season 2011-12.

- DCFC again agreed to meetings being more regularly scheduled, say every three months.

Ownership & Shareholding:

- Six partners own 90% of the shares in Derby County: Tom Ricketts, Bill Luby, Tom Verdon, Jeff Mallet, Brett Wilson (whose representation is delegated to Dave Richardson for meetings) and Andy Appleby. TG also holds a small shareholding.

- The owners would be open to discussing supporter investment in shares; it is a complicated issue to be carefully handled. Capital cost of shareholdings currently requires additional input ('a capital call') each season to cover deficits, so whilst the door is open, assessment is needed as to how any scheme would work. It was agreed that DCFC and RT would discuss this subject further.

- More detail is required on how equivalent schemes have worked at other clubs to enable RT to make a proposal for further discussion.

Supporter Representation:

- The possibility of a Supporter-Director has not been discussed by DCFC's board, as currently all board members possess a shareholding to take a

seat at the table. It is possible that if this was linked to supporter shareholding, a supporter-director could be a possibility. Hence the possibility was not ruled out, but is not in current DCFC plans.

- TG stated that he saw supporter representation taking place 'outside the boardroom' at this time but was keen to embrace ways of fulfilling the requirements of the UEFA 2010 Club Licensing & Financial Fair Play Regulations.

- These regulations stipulate the appointment of a Supporter Liaison Officer (SLO) and will come into effect for season 2012/13.

- DCFC requested more information on the role of the SLO and JW has provided them with this since the meeting. Please see document & interview on the FSF website at:

http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/Supporter-Liaison-Officers.php?id=

Squad Development and Transfer Strategy:

- Nigel Clough wanted 6 'Championship quality' players in summer 2011; he bought 3: Bryson, Maguire and Shackell. He wanted John Eustace from Watford but they wanted too much for their 'talisman', now 32 years old. Nigel's alternative choice of Bryson is proving a sound buy.

- Other acquisitions included Ward, Robinson, and Fielding; there may be incoming transfers or loans this season, dependent upon other loan-outs, departures or squad requirements.

- The club is spending twice as much on Academy development as it was 5 years ago. Players graduating reflect this strategy, which is in line with FFP when clubs will have to live within their means.

- Recent Academy graduates to the first team squad (Ball, Hendrick, and O'Brien) reflect the success of this strategy and others are close behind (Mason Bennett, Will Hughes).

- DCFC are pursuing the recruitment of a 'Technical Director'; 'watch this space'.

- Jamie Ward is not for sale; media talk only - there have been no approaches from other clubs.

- Club/Clough as yet undecided on Paul Greens retention; he is not on offer but DCFC accept that approaches may arise during this transfer window.

Season Ticket Prices & Early-Bird Deadline:

- DCFC have frozen S/T prices for several years.

- No commitment to extending the S/T early-bird renewal deadline to mid-May, as suggested in February 2011 by RT and later implemented by the club.

- Falling attendances are a national football trend due to the economic situation. DCFC try to address this without upsetting S/T holders via cheaper tickets than some rivals and special offers.

- Rams are 2nd in the Championship attendance table and out-sell 8 Premier League clubs.

Plaza Development:

- A decision on the Plaza plans is due on Thursday 12th January.

if positive, the club can speak to potential development partnerships.

- There is no "tug of war" for the club or the Plaza with any party no partnership can be ruled out.

- TG gave Peter Gadsby credit for initiating the Plaza plans 5 years ago while stating DCFC's recent plans differed considerably from his original scheme.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bryson came in relatively early,yet the Eustace saga rumbled on-if Bryson were the alternative to Eustace,then why did the saga continue after his signing? When recently quizzed about a top 6 aim at start of season,Nigel said this only applied if they'd got all their targets.I'm sure Nigel talked of Eustace after signing Bryson

Bryson came in relatively early,yet the Eustace saga rumbled on-if Bryson were the alternative to Eustace,then why did the saga continue after his signing? When recently quizzed about a top 6 aim at start of season,Nigel said this only applied if they'd got all their targets.I'm sure Nigel talked of Eustace after signing Bryson

Bryson was signed by 9 June

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13538511.stm]http://news.bbc.co.u...ll/13538511.stm

The Derby Telegraph ran this on 15 July:

Rams are still in the hunt for Eustace

Friday, July 15, 2011

EXPERIENCED midfielder John Eustace is still on Derby County's radar.

The Watford skipper was identified as a transfer target back in May and the Rams remain interested in the 31-year-old, who had a loan spell at Pride Park in 2009.

1. http://i.thelocalpeople.co.uk/275778/Article/images/12947021/3024993
    John Eustace

Rams manager Nigel Clough feels his squad is still two or three players short as preparations continue for the new Championship season.

Clough is keen to bring in an "older head" for central midfield as well as cover at full-back and another striker.

Derby have refused to discuss their transfer targets in public during the summer.

But when asked if Eustace was still on the radar, Clough said: "Yes, nothing has changed in our view of John."

Derby have enquired about Eustace, who is in the final year of his contract at Watford.

Clough admits Derby might lack a "voice" in midfield following the departure of 36-year-old former Welsh international Robbie Savage at the end of last season.

"It is one concern," said Clough.

"We have only got a couple of players over 30 at the moment in Russell Anderson and Gareth Roberts, which is probably unusal for most Championship clubs.

"It is difficult to coach some lads to talk and organise. Some have it naturally and it is difficult to put it into those who don't have it."

Eight players have been signed by Derby since the end of last season, although three were on loan at the club last season – Frank Fielding, Jamie Ward and Theo Robinson.

"In an ideal world we still feel we are two or three players short," said Clough.

"We have been trying to get some cover at full-back because if we do get an injury to John Brayford or Gareth Roberts then we need someone to fill in there.

"We are still working on that and the experienced midfielder we have talked about we would still like in but we are conscious that not too many players have gone out the other way, so we have to balance that up as well.

"We have players in the last year of their contract, so we have to be aware of that. Come 12 months time, they could walk away for nothing."

Goalkeeper Stephen Bywater and defender Dean Leacock are two of the players with a year to run on their contracts.

Derby have signed two new keepers this summer in Fielding and Adam Legzdins, who are set to start the season as numbers one and two.

Bywater started last season as Rams first-choice but ended the campaign on loan at Cardiff.

[url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Rams-hunt-Eustace/story-12947021-detail/story.html]http://www.thisisder...tail/story.html

Seems that history is being re-written somewhat!

There's a difference between not being able to afford someone and not thinking a player is worth what he would cost.

Indeed - I never rated Eustace but Nigel did. In a way I'm glad that we did not pay over the odds for what I consider to be an average player, but maybe he would have been that missing ingredient that would have seen us continually inside the top six. Personally I doubt it, but we'll never know.

However, for Glick to claim that Bryson was signed as an alternative to Eustace is completely disingenuous.

The "talisman" John Eustace has managed to play a grand total of 9 games for Watfor this season, and weigh in with an impressive 1 goal...spectacular stuff I am sure you will agree....(incidently, exactly the same record when he came to us on loan and was completely garbage)

Thank god they wanted a lot of money for him, I would suggest that anything more than a Wispa bar and a bag of crisps would have been paying over the odds for him.

Well done Mr Glick for saving us from that particular disaster.

The "talisman" John Eustace has managed to play a grand total of 9 games for Watfor this season, and weigh in with an impressive 1 goal...spectacular stuff I am sure you will agree....(incidently, exactly the same record when he came to us on loan and was completely garbage)

Thank god they wanted a lot of money for him, I would suggest that anything more than a Wispa bar and a bag of crisps would have been paying over the odds for him.

Well done Mr Glick for saving us from that particular disaster.

There's no need to whisper 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

For me savage is a derby county legend!! I was not a big fan of his on the field BUT I have massive respect for the way he lives his life considering he was the pantomime villain!!

But for the scarf waving ( my mates scarf) he will always be a legend to me!! He proppa took the p1ss that night!! In forest own back yard!! That for me kills what Tyson did with the flag!!

God bless robbie savage!

I must admit, I sort of began almost to think he was ok off the pitch - the singing in the car was great, but we defo look a better team, harder to beat, without him.

For sure we are better at football since he went, but, like you say, the singing in the car was great, and no matter what anyone says, and thinks about him, you have got to admire how he has made the most out of his limited talent, due to hard work, and looking after himself properly, if other, more gifted players had lived their lives like him then they could have been world beaters.

And...YES, I am excited..!!!

Squad Development and Transfer Strategy:

....there may be incoming transfers or loans this season, dependent upon other loan-outs, departures or squad requirements.........

- Jamie Ward is not for sale; media talk only - there have been no approaches from other clubs.

- Club/Clough as yet undecided on Paul Greens retention; he is not on offer but DCFC accept that approaches may arise during this transfer window.

This all seems consistent with the recent RD interviews. It suggests little or no activity this transfer window aimed at helping us seriously challenge for promotion/playoffs during the second half of the season.

So far this season our results have, more or less, tracked the level of injuries to the first choice players. Especially injuries to the first choice back four. Despite that, for the rest of this season, the financial constraints dictate that we take a fingers-crossed attitude to injuries (rely on loans) and that we may need to further weaken the midfield should anyone come in with a half decent offer for Green.

So, fingers crossed.

Indeed - I never rated Eustace but Nigel did. In a way I'm glad that we did not pay over the odds for what I consider to be an average player, but maybe he would have been that missing ingredient that would have seen us continually inside the top six. Personally I doubt it, but we'll never know.

However, for Glick to claim that Bryson was signed as an alternative to Eustace is completely disingenuous.

Thanks for earlier links,Cornwall. No doubt if Tyson hadn't been injured but performing well,he'd be portrayed as the "alternative" to a Waghorn who'd proven to be too expensive?

Archived