RT Meeting With Glick

Stive Pesley

Maybe Ramblur - but we haven't seen much of him yet have we, to be able to say yay or nay.

At least I got a "maybe" 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> .From this,it's quite clear the kind of player that Metgod thought we needed to push on:-

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/9454597.stm]http://news.bbc.co.u...nty/9454597.stm

(2.15 onwards).

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the same RT that was dead set against any overseas owners, and now they are having cosy meetings with the owners.

I really hoped that the RT and their 10 members had left the club and moved to following Burton or someone.

Anyhow rant over and sorry for hijacking the thread 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

At least I got a "maybe" 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> .From this,it's quite clear the kind of player that Metgod thought we needed to push on:-

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/9454597.stm]http://news.bbc.co.u...nty/9454597.stm

(2.15 onwards).

As a matter of interest do you think we are clearing the decks with the under performing overpaid players so we can bring in precisely what Metgod said we need, that is good proven championship players, or do you think we are just lowering the wage figure to bring maybe a small and I mean small profit to the investers and bob along the mid to lower reaches of the Championship?

However, for Glick to claim that Bryson was signed as an alternative to Eustace is completely disingenuous.

I suspect it’s just the way it came out in the minutes and it’s likely that he meant NC’s other midfield choice Bryson is doing a good job in that area.

Similarly the fact they used the words “talisman” and mentioned how old he was suggest that Glick implied Eustace was worth more to Watford than we were willing to pay. Doesn’t surprise me at all.

Sounds like we made the right call if you ask me.

On the subject of RT being “anti” foreign investment, that did cross my mind too. I suspect Glick has them where he wants them. What they dislike is being kept in the dark, so Glick is being open and honest enough to satisfy them without really giving too much away.

The stuff about the shareholder split is interesting – did we ever find out what happened to the shareholdings of the guy with the dodgy hedge-fund?

As far as I can see it doesn'r say anywhere that we couldn't afford Eustace

Cloughs valuation of a player differs from not being able to afford them.

--------------------------------------------------

Nigel Clough wanted 6 'Championship quality' players in summer 2011; he bought 3: Bryson, Maguire and Shackell. He wanted John Eustace from Watford but they wanted too much for their 'talisman', now 32 years old. Nigel's alternative choice of Bryson is proving a sound buy.

--------------------------------------------------

The other factor with Eustace is that. He was a success under Mackay last season but hasent fared so well under Dyche. Hendrick did well enough in the first few games to reduce the urgency of signing Eustace. Not surprisingly considering he is still only 19 his form started to nosedive eventually as happens with young players. This is where another experienced option would of helped us get out of our Autumn rut. Clough has still stated that he could do with another 3 quality championship players.

As a matter of interest do you think we are clearing the decks with the under performing overpaid players so we can bring in precisely what Metgod said we need, that is good proven championship players, or do you think we are just lowering the wage figure to bring maybe a small and I mean small profit to the investers and bob along the mid to lower reaches of the Championship?

If admin expenses were savaged to the extent that players' wages have been,then it wouldn't be that small a profit,however I think that they're just scraping as much as they can together this window in order to be able to make a summer signing/s to sell S/Ts.I think that this time people are going to decide purely on the basis of actual signings.

Assuming that the revolving loan (you know,that thing that isn't really debt,but attracts interest that has to be paid with real money,as does the principal amount of the loan itself) is still operative,then a certain amount of S/T's have to be sold to meet the ongoing security for the loan.If I'm right on this,then what would annoy me is that any requirements for this window (a decent signing to push on from a promising position) would be trumped by the need to flog S/Ts.

If admin expenses were savaged to the extent that players' wages have been,then it wouldn't be that small a profit,however I think that they're just scraping as much as they can together this window in order to be able to make a summer signing/s to sell S/Ts.I think that this time people are going to decide purely on the basis of actual signings.

Assuming that the revolving loan (you know,that thing that isn't really debt,but attracts interest that has to be paid with real money,as does the principal amount of the loan itself) is still operative,then a certain amount of S/T's have to be sold to meet the ongoing security for the loan.If I'm right on this,then what would annoy me is that any requirements for this window (a decent signing to push on from a promising position) would be trumped by the need to flog S/Ts.

If those signings are good championship signings, as Metgod says we need, will it not mean we are serious about promotion? That being the case is it merely a sell season tickets exercise or is it ambition based on fiscal prudence with an eye on FFP?

I find it interesting that of the 6 Championship quality players required by Cloughie, they only describe us getting 3 and Bryson is described as an alternative, Maguire certainly hasn't shown Champinship quality and thus out of the 6 required it could be argued that we only ended up with ONE, Shackell!! Though I acknowledge that Bryson is easily and clearly Championship quality (but we know that now with the benefit of hindsight and it was perhaps more a hope at the time of signing), and the failure to get some other targets has enabled the emergence of our youth players which is probably to our benefit in the long run.

If those signings are good championship signings, as Metgod says we need, will it not mean we are serious about promotion? That being the case is it merely a sell season tickets exercise or is it ambition based on fiscal prudence with an eye on FFP?

Well,for starters,we were supposed to be going for Championship players last season.When Nigel mentioned this,Gibson asked him if they would be "names" (ie "big" players).The answer was that they would be names in that they'd be recognised (as Championship players).

If this revolving loan is still operative,then the security represents just under 15k S/Ts-the implications of selling less than this would probably result in a diminished borrowing facility.As it appears that new borrowing fills the gap left by repaying the previous tranche,then there'd be obvious problems if the 2 go out of kilter (relegation would have brought this into sharp focus).

As Staffie has said,if we had the money for a quality signing,then it would make sense to do it now-if a promotion bid failed,we'd still have that quality signing for the following season's push.Of course,if we made a signing that flopped,then that wouldn't help with S/T sales,whereas any signings made in the summer,prior to the first game,don't face that obstacle.

I think people have got FFP on the brain.There's no guarantee this is going to go through,as relegated clubs will have a vote,as will Leicester,and I can tell you that Burnley voted against last time.In any event,its final form will take years to finally implement and it appears we're already well inside the restriction on players' wages that any rules are likely to allow

The comments that Clough and Glick made showed signs of real inexperience at this level.

Most clubs weren't going to spend much this summer for a number of reasons. When we had a management team talking about getting half a dozen experienced players at this level, you're going to draw attention to yourselves.

The press and a lot of the footballing world decided we were rich and were going to invest heavily with our wealthy owners. They added 2 and 2 together and got slighly more than 4, and had decided we were going to spend big.

We were even linked with Michael Owen.

As a result, I wouldn't be surprised if the agents of the players we asked told their clients to ask for a bit more - and thus priced themselves out of a move.

Personal terms were the sticking point on the Eustace deal IIRC.

Clough wanted 6 Championship players and got 3. At season ticket renewal time last year Glick said we'd get a squad together to challenge for the top 6. Clough presumably thought we needed 6 Championship players to get there. Says it all!

I hope that this summer Mr Glick and Mr Clough keep it zipped with regards to how many players, what level of experience and how much they are looking to spend.

A simple yes we will be looking to strengthen would suffice.

Too many people hang on every word that comes out of Glick's mouth (despite calling him a bullshitter), they fail to realise that yes 6 players was the target but that doesn't mean we will sign 6.

Clubs and players could both say no, they could be also be asking for too much money and you end up with egg on your face just like this season and last seasons Barker type fee.

So Mr Glick if you are currently sat in your pj's eating cornflakes and reading this, keep your trap shut this summer, we have B4 here to raise our expectations, we don't need you at it as well.

Thank You

Daveo

Thing is you can go shopping with the intention of buying 6 items but if you don't see any you like at the right price you come home with less. There's not a lot of value out there and I suspect people like Eustace were overpriced (his age was always a risk). I'd like to know whose idea Maguire was because it was soon obvious after his arrival that he wouldn't be given an easy ride. I think he should feature more even if that's only to put him in the shop window - we either want him or we don't.

Glick and co will do what's best for business. We have a pretty mediocre Championship this year and I think any of the contenders for promotion would struggle at the higher level. I love the fact that we are building a young team and not one filled with ageing loan tarts. Let's build for promotion next year rather than encouraging a repeat of 2007/8.

At this time we can't buy players who are overpriced but although it might be frustrating at times there is a silver lining there. After seeing Hendrick, OB, Ball and Bennett this season I'm feeling optimistic about our future. If these lads will continue their development at a same rate next season as they have done within a last year we are a stronger team next season.

If we can get two or three good signings in the summer and add a quality loan or two for the whole season and perhaps a little more help from our academy we will continue to going forward as a club.

One thing the club can be very proud of is the results our academy is producing. The investment there is starting to pay up.

Unfortunately Glick's spin at season ticket time is designed to sell season tickets rather than keeping the fans up to date with the real goings on at the club. We've been lied to too often and I suspect unless we have an amazing run in the 2nd half of the season we'll lose even more season ticket holders this summer.

Thing is you can go shopping with the intention of buying 6 items but if you don't see any you like at the right price you come home with less. There's not a lot of value out there and I suspect people like Eustace were overpriced (his age was always a risk). I'd like to know whose idea Maguire was because it was soon obvious after his arrival that he wouldn't be given an easy ride. I think he should feature more even if that's only to put him in the shop window - we either want him or we don't.

Glick and co will do what's best for business. We have a pretty mediocre Championship this year and I think any of the contenders for promotion would struggle at the higher level. I love the fact that we are building a young team and not one filled with ageing loan tarts. Let's build for promotion next year rather than encouraging a repeat of 2007/8.

I agree. NC knows the type of player he wants to build the side, if they are not available, for what ever reason, he won't spend for the sake of it. I give you Billy knee high and Jewell as examples of throwing money in desperation and expectation at the team.

Re signings - we're in the January transfer window, only 2/3 points off of the playoffs. If they were every going to invest, or even push the boat out a little bit, then now's the time. If they won't do it now, then they likely never will.

I can understand where you are coming from (heart thinking)

But we must not gamble with our financial stability with no assurity of promotion (head thinking)

If you were a Leicester supporter you would be 'cock a hoop' with the amount of investment in the squad - however when they fail to go up this year - struggle next season, go into administration and end up in League 1 or even worse doing a Plymouth - then you would not be so happy

Archived