Heres Another One...

mozza

Whats the craziest/hardest/greatest effort you have made to watch your beloved Rams ?

I was working on the saturday morning..got home, fell asleep, woke up at 3:20..coat on ..15 mile drive..

got there 5 mins into second half.. man I was keen in those days..crazy.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stunning dedication.

Best I can do is waking in Ockbrook at my mates and leaving without saying a word (midday kick-off, hungover and noone was up) and trying to work out the bus route at all costs. Think I just hopped onboard and shouted 'get me to the match!'

i turned up at elm park, reading for what i thought was a midday kick off at 10o'clock.

deserted ground.

got shown round the ground by two stewards who took pity on me and then sat in the away end on my own - read my book waiting for the 3 o'clock kick off.

got a nice tan to cover my red faced embarrassment.

Hmmmm, may get bad replies on this but here goes......

Sheffield United away last year.

Just got into the Merry Widows at about 0930 (pub opposite train station) to meet the lads for a normal epic away day. Literally ordered my first beer and took my first sip when the wife calls me on the mobile panicking. My youngest son aged 1 at the time had a serious allergic reaction to some peanut butter that wife had given him on a little bit of toast. She was panicking and just said get home quick!! Dived straight out pub just saying to lads "got to go!!" and jumped in a taxi at train station. Was home within 5 minutes.

When I got home he was in a really bad way, swollen eyes, face etc.... Used same taxi and went straight to hospital. 5 minutes later lots of traffic and he was getting worse so called an ambulance, took him to hospital for check ups etc... Had already decided at this point that I wasnt going to the game but as the time edged nearer and nearer and with his improvement I began thinking about going!!

Discharged at 2pm and we went home. He was sleepy after ordeal and fell asleep in car. Got home put him to bed in his cot and said to wife do you mind if I go?? I could tell she wasn't perhaps impressed but said okay..... So dived in the car and got there at 1505 after parking outside in some dodgy car parking bay! Left game early but saw us get an unlikely away day win!

Best of all got home and he had only just woken up!

I wouldn't have gone if he was still in hospital might I add!!!

I started South East Derbyshire College at Heanor in 1989 and tried to get a part-time job. For some reason I ended up starting work at Ripley Co-op, collecting trolleys, on a Wednesday night when there was a match on. Well, it was a **** job to start with, compounded by the fact there was no uniform available. I just looked like some nutter collecting trolleys for the fun of it. That and there being a match on was too much. I lasted 17 minutes and jacked it in, jogging back to Codnor in time to get a lift with my mate to the game. Don't remember the game, but it must have been good in that vintage time. Also received a cheque through from the Co-op for c£1 in wages...

Man united FA Cup at Pride park a couple of years ago.

Meant the be five of us going but two of the kids got chicken pocks. So just me and the step son.

About to leave fromStockport to drive to Retford to pick up my step son. Open the front door and some **** had broken into mr car. Swore a bit, rang my dad to say can you pick me up, rang my step son and told him to get the train to his Nans. Once that was sorted rang the police and auto windscreens.

Bear in mind my dad lives in Rotherham and my lads nan in Wombwell this meant my dad driving 90 miles , picking me up and my step son up then driving to pride park and back again.I think it ended up my dad driving 210 miles that day, and me paying an extra £40 in trains fares for me and my lad

Just got into the Merry Widows at about 0930 (pub opposite train station) to meet the lads for a normal epic away day. Literally ordered my first beer and took my first sip when the wife calls me on the mobile panicking. My youngest son aged 1 at the time had a serious allergic reaction to some peanut butter that wife had given him on a little bit of toast. She was panicking and just said get home quick!! Dived straight out pub just saying to lads "got to go!!" and jumped in a taxi at train station. Was home within 5 minutes.

When I got home he was in a really bad way, swollen eyes, face etc.... Used same taxi and went straight to hospital. 5 minutes later lots of traffic and he was getting worse so called an ambulance, took him to hospital for check ups etc... Had already decided at this point that I wasnt going to the game but as the time edged nearer and nearer and with his improvement I began thinking about going!!

Discharged at 2pm and we went home. He was sleepy after ordeal and fell asleep in car. Got home put him to bed in his cot and said to wife do you mind if I go?? I could tell she wasn't perhaps impressed but said okay..... So dived in the car and got there at 1505 after parking outside in some dodgy car parking bay! Left game early but saw us get an unlikely away day win!

Can't fault you, you made sure your son was cared for and safe.

I was on the popside with my dad, 30 minutes into the game he said he was feeling unwell and was going home, I said ''do you

mind if I stay and watch the rest of match ?'', which I selfishly did. Turned out he had gaulstones.. and you may know how they

sort them ...ouch.

Boro away, New Years Day early 90's. Been in Edinburgh for New Years slept on mates floor. Got train south but it terminated at Newcastle at midday. Panic! Nothing going near Boro / stockton for hours. Went outside the station and hitched a lift to Sunderland with a guy celebrating his first day of freedom from her majesties pleasure. half an hour on the A1 slip and I got picked up by some lads from Hartlepools. 3 bottles of pils in 20 mins and I get dropped off somewhere outside of 'pools. 1 hour wait and I'm thinking I'll miss the match but got a lift of an elderly couple who took me right to Ayresome! midway through 1st half but Boro stewards won't let me in to the away end! Walk to main stand and ask a copper who leads me through the main stand and right next to the press box! get free seat for the match and watch Martyn chalk get the equaliser. I chance my arm and get the tannoy announcer to ask if there is any lads from the mickleover area in the away end to look out for Shawsie at the end of the match. Sure enough, see the lads and get a lift home. Top day!

Biggest effort was one that shouldn't have been that bad, Pompey away in the Prem. got there ok but was late back to the station and the train was leaving anytime, asked the train conductor which train I needed quickly and got on. 5 minutes into the journey I find out I'm not heading North to Derby, but West to Southampton. Bloody train conductors.

Got to Derby station at 00:20, my train to Chesterfield was delayed until finally being cancelled at 02:00. They put taxis on for us to Chez, got home at 03:30. **** day.

Drive back to Derby from wherever I've been stationed too, not too bad at the moment though, only in Brum so a short journey compared to some dedicated mofo's on here.

Nothing special.

Crawley away last January probably.

Monday 8pm kick-off, live on TV, it p*ssed it down and it was -17c.

I was working at a pub at the time and had been called in to do the early morning 7-12 shift (the pub had a few guest rooms and a restaurant type thing). Anyway, I decided it would be a good idea to go to this game, I have no idea why, but I did - probably the only time we'll play at the Broadfield Stadium was my thinking. Went home from work, got changed, took some cash, bus to town, bought a ticket from Pride Park, got on the Roadrider at 2:00 I think it was (there were no trains). Travelled 5 hours there.

Got to the ground, watched the most inept performance of all time by Derby County, got pissed on, laughing stock of the country, travelled back however many miles it is, got whacked £25 for a taxi home, got in at 3:30am on Tuesday morning, went to work at 8 the following morning and told them to stick their job before landing my current job 2 weeks later.

Another bad one was Donny last year.

All was well before the game - travelled up early, few beers beforehand with EKR, Derby won 3-2 with Commons scoring late on. Anyway, got to the train station, got on the wrong train (EKR lost his scarf which I don't think he's forgiven me for), realised our error, but we had to wait about an hour before the next train to Sheffield. Get on the train, there's a hold up for about 30 minutes when someone is apparantly on the tracks. Arrive in Sheffield at 11:00 or some time... no trains at all. Anyway, EKR's student mate let us kip in his Uni halls after we'd traipsed around Sheffield for an hour or two and after i'd asked how much a taxi would be, only to be quoted £170. I remember using my flag as a duvet and it being the hardest floor in the world. Got on the train through to Derby with an expired ticket, got it stamped etc. Get to the barriers at the main entrance and had to tell the gate keeper it was their fault my ticket wasn't being accepted. She bought it anyway, and I eventually got in at 11 o'clock in the morning almost 24 hours after i'd set off.

Was worth it though.

Deciding whilst hung over to go to Preston on New Years Day last year was also eventful...

Boro away, New Years Day early 90's. Been in Edinburgh for New Years slept on mates floor. Got train south but it terminated at Newcastle at midday. Panic! Nothing going near Boro / stockton for hours. Went outside the station and hitched a lift to Sunderland with a guy celebrating his first day of freedom from her majesties pleasure. half an hour on the A1 slip and I got picked up by some lads from Hartlepools. 3 bottles of pils in 20 mins and I get dropped off somewhere outside of 'pools. 1 hour wait and I'm thinking I'll miss the match but got a lift of an elderly couple who took me right to Ayresome! midway through 1st half but Boro stewards won't let me in to the away end! Walk to main stand and ask a copper who leads me through the main stand and right next to the press box! get free seat for the match and watch Martyn chalk get the equaliser. I chance my arm and get the tannoy announcer to ask if there is any lads from the mickleover area in the away end to look out for Shawsie at the end of the match. Sure enough, see the lads and get a lift home. Top day!

Love the sound of this one, quality!

I remember that so well!! Remember fighting outside the Howard Bout 7.30 with some so united fans!! He even pulled out a knife on us!! I think he thought we'd run!!

That Doncaster one with Joe was up there, i can confirm that my mates floor is in fact the hardest floor in Britain, whilst my mate snored all night with nothing but my flag for warmth. Then a long train journey back down to Bournemouth the next day.

Doncaster, Hull and Ipswich away midweek from Bournemouth in recent seasons have all been expensive and time consuming.

For me, Plymouth away a few seasons back is up there, we won 3-0 though and Teale scored. It was on a day when a lot of games were called off for snow and our game was in doubt. Got the train about 6am not knowing whether the game would be on and was at London Paddington station for about 9am. Still heard nothing about the game being off so got on the 3 and a half hour train to Plymouth. Was feckin freezing, terrible atmosphere and had to sit down for the entire game but at least we won. Got back home about half 1, long day.

Burnley away last season is probably my top one. 5.20 kick off on tv, set off from Bournemouth about 8am the weather being fairly mild. Get into Burnley about 3.30pm and it must be about -20C. Had to leave early to catch my train, seeing them go 2-1 up just as i leave. Run all the way back to the station thinking i'll make it easy, cant find the station and learn to accept the fact im sleeping somewhere in Burnley. Finally find the station to find the train delayed 10 minutes, most relieved i've ever been. Then it's back to Sheffield and the hardest floor in Britain before getting the train back to Bournemouth in the morning.

Good times.

Cardiff away three (I think) seasons ago, I got Corporate hospitality lined up with an evening down by the bay with lap dancing and VIP in Tiger Tiger.

Game get called off at 1:30 - we stay in pub for a few more hours - then get a meal with more drinks - then carrying drinking before heading down by the bay. By this time my host is so drunk we are getting asked to leave the bars, got refused entry to the lap bar and Tiger Tiger would not let us in eventhough we had book a VIP area.

All in all a very disapointing day

Cardiff away three (I think) seasons ago, I got Corporate hospitality lined up with an evening down by the bay with lap dancing and VIP in Tiger Tiger.

Game get called off at 1:30 - we stay in pub for a few more hours - then get a meal with more drinks - then carrying drinking before heading down by the bay. By this time my host is so drunk we are getting asked to leave the bars, got refused entry to the lap bar and Tiger Tiger would not let us in eventhough we had book a VIP area.

All in all a very disapointing day

thats total write off...spose it was pi55ing down also ?

Archived