Capello may stay past Euro 2012

Day

Sir Trevor Brooking says Fabio Capello could stay on as England manager after Euro 2012.

Capello's £6m-a-year contract expires in the summer and the 65-year-old has already been linked with other jobs.

But Brooking, the Football Association's director of football development, told BBC Radio 5 live that the Italian may be asked to continue.

"Fabio's contract ends in the summer and the mindset is for change but you never say never," Brooking said.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp, 64, is the current favourite to take over.

"If we could get someone home-grown it would send out the right message," Brooking added. "It would launch a new era and we do want a system where we have an English coach.

"But we don't want to lock it in - how many candidates are there? I am sure Harry Redknapp would be high in the betting but we will look at it on merit at the time."

Capello has consistently said he would leave his post as England boss after Euro 2012, but a good performance from England in Poland and Ukraine next summer may trigger a change of view.

Brooking added: "We are certainly hoping to do better this summer [in Euro 2012] than we did in South Africa [at the 2010 World Cup]."

England, who were beaten 4-1 by Germany in the last 16 of the World Cup 17 months ago, will find out on Friday who their group opponents will be at Euro 2012.

Capello's side, who will be based in the Polish city of Krakow, are in the pot of second seeds, along with Germany, Italy and Russia.

The former AC Milan, Juventus, Roma and Real Madrid boss has been in charge of England since December 2007, succeeding Steve McClaren.

Capello has already been linked with other coaching positions after Euro 2012, including a lucrative post with big-spending Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala and a return to Italy with Inter Milan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15981863.stm

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Capello needs to go, he hasn't done a bad job at all but I feel the national team needs a breathe of fresh air and he just leaves a bad stench of pasta..

who the breathe of fresh air is, I don't know but I think it needs to be someone younger than 60... who can commit long term, then we might be able to build something!

Capello is actually doing a pretty good job.The media hate him,therefore stupid fans hate him.My problem is with the FA.They really havent a clue about football.All they are interested in is money.

Sure is .....you can't make a pearl necklace from a pigs ear after all 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

I don't mind the guy, he's had the balls to drop big name players when needed and he's also put them back in on merit, not just because of their status.

He made a cock up last summer but we move on, plenty of exciting young talent coming through and who ever is manager after 2012 then they have some good youngsters to start building foundations for the next generation of England stars.

I can't see many people better than him who would want the job in honesty. He made a cock up last year but let's face it, we weren't going to win the world cup and other managers have cocked up like that, we have qualified really well for the euros and done well in the friendly performances against spain and ghana.

Archived