Clough blames contract talks for Hendrick dip in form

David

NIGEL Clough believes Jeff Hendrick's contract talks are affecting the young midfielder's form.

Discussions are "ongoing" over a new deal for Hendrick, who has burst into Derby County's first team this season.

The 19-year-old has made 15 consecutive starts but Clough feels the player's performances have dipped and pointed to contract talks as a possible reason.

Hendrick was substituted eight minutes from the end of Saturday's 2-1 defeat by Hull City at Pride Park Stadium.

It is the first time the Republic of Ireland Under-21 international has not completed a game he has started.

His current contract has the rest of this season and next to run.

Derby see Hendrick as a part of their plans and say the player wants to stay.

"I think Jeff's contract negotiations are weighing on his mind at the moment," said Clough.

"The chief executive (Tom Glick) is doing the negotiations with Jeff's ... I think he has 'people' now, I think that is the phrase, isn't it?

"How many games has he played, 14 or 15? Yet, I think he has 'people' acting for him now. I am sure they are acting in his best interests."

Derby have shown that they are keen to tie down the talented youngsters in their squad.

In the last few months, two of the Rams' younger players have pledged their long-term futures to the club.

Player-of-the-year John Brayford signed a new three-year deal in July to take him to 2014.

In September, defender Mark O'Brien, who turned 19 yesterday, put pen to paper on a new four-year deal.

Hendrick's partner in central midfield, Craig Bryson, gave Derby an injury scare minutes from the end of the Hull game when he went down.

But the Scot had suffered a severe bout of cramp and should be fit for Saturday's match against West Ham United.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-13909785-detail/story.html

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand it. If I was doing well in my job, with a contract negotiation up in the air, and I think I could get a move to a bigger, better firm, I wouldn't be 100% focussed.

That said, I'm not going to cry for a young lad on a relatively huge salary.

I thought he was one of the better players on Saturday (I seem to be the only one, so maybe I'm wrong), but as someone mentioned above, he'd be on the bench if we were at full strength. Things have worked out well for him this year with injuries.

I can understand it. If I was doing well in my job, with a contract negotiation up in the air, and I think I could get a move to a bigger, better firm, I wouldn't be 100% focussed.

That said, I'm not going to cry for a young lad on a relatively huge salary.

I thought he was one of the better players on Saturday (I seem to be the only one, so maybe I'm wrong), but as someone mentioned above, he'd be on the bench if we were at full strength. Things have worked out well for him this year with injuries.

He has got an agent working for him so let's hope it is a responsible one who looks after his client, and not one who is just after his 6%. He is now a regular part of the first team squad so perhaps deserves an improved contract, but his agent and those around him must keep his feet on the ground.

I also thought he played well on Saturday, he was always available and generally (but not always) passed well.

Clough shouldnt be allowed as part of club policy to come out and make wild statements like this - what does he think this is going to do for his relationship with the player, this is why we need a director of football or whatever they want to call it - to manage these situations as best as is possible, clough would even be involved in contract talks other than to shake Hendricks hand "well doen son!" Although NC would still be the guy talking in the papers he would atleast be doing so with some guidance and not like a loose cannon as he appears with this.

I think Nigel's comments might be directed to Hendrick so he would consider his situation himself also, not to trust blindly " his people". Although Clough's comments might come purely out of frustration they just might be a good wake up call to young player like Hendrick.

It's a well known fact that NC hates agents, and is one manager that thinks that they have no place. I bet Hendrick has been 'tapped up' by some firm of agents that promise him the earth. Personally I am with NC on this, and i believe agents ruin both the game, young careers and take money out of the game. The PFA should do the job, just like an union would, represent the players in contract, transfer and disputes. Instead of taking their cut and doing SFA.

Archived